Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 5,140 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, my boyfriend and I just moved out here to Arizona from Ohio, and are looking to meet some people and make some friends. I personally don't know much about the area, my boyfriend knows a little. Just wanted to introduce myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 07:43 PM

By the way, we are 22 and 23. We've been here a little less than. Week and don't really know any good handouts or fun things to do, so if anyone knows of anything, we would greatly appreciate the suggestions! He is a motorcycle rider and is also looking for a group rides periodically. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 05-08-2013, 09:47 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzStephanie View Post
By the way, we are 22 and 23. We've been here a little less than. Week and don't really know any good handouts or fun things to do, so if anyone knows of anything, we would greatly appreciate the suggestions! He is a motorcycle rider and is also looking for a group rides periodically. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Checkout Westgate in Glendale on Thursday nights for their "Bike Night". LOTS of people roll up on their motorcycles and it'll be a good ice breaker and a good way to meet others of common interest. It looks pretty cool they all hang out at the outdoor entertainment venue there.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone, my boyfriend and I just moved out here to Arizona from Ohio, and are looking to meet some people and make some friends. I personally don't know much about the area, my boyfriend knows a little. Just wanted to introduce myself!
Welcome MizzStephanie! My family is from Columbus, OH (GO BUCKEYES!!!). This is a great city and a fun place to work and play. It's a lot different than Ohio but the people here are friendly just like the folks back in the Buckeye State. Is there anything specifically you wanna know? Please feel free to ask me anything rather it's things to do, good places to eat, etc.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:20 PM

We'll definitely have to check out the bike night! Those are a lot of fun, thanks for the suggestion! I'm actually looking for a job right now. My boyfriend has a lead, but I still have nothing unfortunately. Know of anywhere that's hiring?

Old 05-08-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
We'll definitely have to check out the bike night! Those are a lot of fun, thanks for the suggestion! I'm actually looking for a job right now. My boyfriend has a lead, but I still have nothing unfortunately. Know of anywhere that's hiring?
Go to Jobs, Employment in Phoenix, AZ | Indeed.com and check out who's hiring. It's not too difficult finding a job here. A lot of the resorts and hotels in the area are always looking for servers, front desk agents, etc. Target hires periodically too if you're just looking for a job to pay the bills until you find something better. Lots of call center jobs as well that I hear are easy to get on at if you have experience in customer service.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:04 AM

You guys are the same age as me check out Mill Avenue in Tempe as well you'll meet a lot of people your age on the weekends. Since the university is dying down for the summer it won't be as fun but when the semester resumes again there are a quite a few people in their twenties that hang out down there. If you're not into the hole college scene Old Town Scottsdale is more "mature" but still a great and fun way to meet others your age at the hangouts. Also First Fridays in downtown Phoenix is another great way to meet interesting people.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,174 times
Ohio State - Phoenix
Buckeye Friendly Establishments

maricopa county offers free career services -1 center is west phoenix and the other in gilbert which assists people in their job search and other career services
One-Stop Locator - Arizona Workforce Connection
Workforce Resources for Jobseekers - Arizona Workforce Connection

Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 AM

I will definitely check out mill ave. and downtown Phoenix. It's really strange moving to a new place and knowing no one. I'm itching to meet some people and find some places to hang out. I'm a pretty social person, sitting at home is boring! Haha.

I have went around dropping resumes and haven't had any bites. One person told me about Jobing.com so I've been constantly checking the new listings on there now too. I'll check out these other websites suggested in just a minute and hopefully something sticks! I've done nothing but customer service since I started working years ago, so I'm a little surprised that I haven't found something yet. Maybe I'm being a bit picky on the type of places I'm applying. I've worked in waitressing as either main or secondary job for most of my working life though, so I'm highly trying to avoid that. I'm looking for something more secretarial or along a medical assistant line. I have applied at coffee shops and things of the nature as well just trying to get something until I find a permanent position and haven't had any calls yet from anyone! :/ Getting a little antsy about it. I will go check out those websites now though, and thanks so much for the advice!!

Old 05-09-2013, 01:30 PM

890 posts, read 2,278,854 times
A lot of the type of places you mentioned (coffee shops/restaurants/etc) won't really start hiring again until the fall when the students come back and the weather cools down a bit. It's a bit late to apply now, but I'm working at a waterpark this summer and they always hire a lot of lifeguards/ticket counter/food service workers, so you could check out Sunsplash or Big Surf to see if they still need anyone for the summer.

The call centers here are usually terrible jobs but they do hire often since there is such high turnover if you need something while you find a more desirable job.

I also do a work at home position through leapforce.com. Besides studying a fairly long document and taking a qualification exam, you don't have to put out any money upfront like a lot of those online scam sites, and you make $13.50 an hour in a 1099 position if you pass the exam. It's honestly quite boring work doing search engine query rating (it's explained in detail in that long document which you get once you apply) but pretty good money and they are hiring right now, they've been posting it all over their facebook page. You've really got to take the time to study and know how to do the rating tasks because they won't hire you if you miss too many and they do occasional quality reviews on your work.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area