Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2016, 01:17 AM
Mfj

1 posts, read 2,191 times

Advertisements

We live in chandler Az, we were just advised in our community that we gave to get rid of the sissoo trees. If we don't remove them they will cause damage to sidewalks, driveways, swimming pools etc: the roots grow and can't be stopped. We will also be responsible for the damage the sissoo trees cause to property that belongs to neighbors or in the community. The trees that have been planted so far in the parks in our community have already caused quite s bit of damage so they are in process of removing these trees. I think not enough information was provided about these tree to begin with or not researched enough. I think these trees come from the middle east somewhere so there was not enough knowledge about them readily available, so sad because so much expense to homeowners and the community could have been avoided. I feel badly for homeowners that bought properties after the trees were already full grown. We have two growing in our yard and are scared out of our wits that there might be damage to our neighbors property.

Last edited by Mfj; 12-03-2016 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: Wrong spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 06:32 AM

157 posts, read 356,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Roundup does you no good on dead stumps, it's only active on green vegetation. It's absorbed throught the green leaves and stems then transported to the roots. With Soosoo's you need to spray the new vegetation as it appears.
Gonna have to explain to me then why during September, October, and half of November with record breaking heat I only had 1 small shoot pop up. Stump wasn't dead when roundup was applied, on the contrary it was just cut and green and soft. Like mentioned earlier, time will tell. If no new shoots in April and May, I'm calling my method a success

Old 12-03-2016, 10:07 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
Unfortunately, in Ocotillo Chandler, Sissoo was not on the list of forbidden trees, so I told the HOA they should be added to the list so new people would know not to plant them. My three trees were removed at great toil (and expense) and now no worries about them lifting up anything.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Just went through this thread again to jog my memory. I've noticed our subdivision has several/many of these that were planted by the builder. At one of our HOA meetings I learned that the HOA is paying a couple of homeowners for damage to their pools/homes by Sissoo trees planted on the boulevard side of their backyard walls.
Here is an article I found on the matter...

http://www.azcentral.com/story/life/...aches/7613011/

It also turns out that those Sissoo trees y'all are ripping out have some value as lumber for woodworkers, in India the lumber is rated right up with Teakwood. Who would've guessed that the "junk" tree that's being ripped out is a rosewood and considered valuable?

http://www.wood-database.com/sissoo/

Last edited by jimj; 12-05-2016 at 07:54 AM..

Old 12-05-2016, 08:03 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Just went through this thread again to jog my memory. I've noticed our subdivision has several/many of these that were planted by the builder. At one of our HOA meetings I learned that the HOA is paying a couple of homeowners for damage to their pools/homes by Sissoo trees planted on the boulevard side of their backyard walls.
Here is an article I found on the matter...

Sissoo tree's surface roots can cause headaches

It also turns out that those Sissoo trees y'all are ripping out have some value as lumber for woodworkers, in India the lumber is rated right up with Teakwood. Who would've guessed that the "junk" tree that's being ripped out is a rosewood and considered valuable?

Sissoo | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwoods)
The sisoo product is good for treatment of obesity and cleaning your teeth too.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,970 times
Leaves of the sissoo tree have been found very effective in the herbal treatment of some forms of cancer specially Lymphoma. Just chew a few leaves every morning. Results within 12 weeks.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,886 times
I have seven of them in my yards and I'm thinking of removing them They really create a mess and for an old couple, it's too much work using the blower to clean up every time there is a breeze!

Old 01-29-2017, 04:40 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,332,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmikadkly View Post
I have seven of them in my yards and I'm thinking of removing them They really create a mess and for an old couple, it's too much work using the blower to clean up every time there is a breeze!
The debris is much worse than people think. Once those seed pods dry up, they continue dumping them for 4-5 months of the year during the winter. I can't imagine how terrible it must be with 7 Sissoo trees!!!

Old 01-29-2017, 06:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Quote:
Do an internet search and see if you can sell them to a wood shop before paying to have 'em ripped out...

Old 02-01-2017, 07:30 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,550 times
Quote:
It will be expensive to have all seven trees removed and you're going to notice a difference in your yard's comfort and attractiveness.

Sissoos can cause a lot of damage to property but removing all of them will remove your shade, and your yard and house will look barren.

Be sure to replace them with trees that require less maintaining, there are plenty of varieties to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area