Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 10:41 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,844,534 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I was more of a late 60s, early 70s kid. Hub Kapp and the Wheels were a little before my time, but I still remember Condello's Sgt. Pepper parodies and thinking how cool it would be to see them play at fabulous Legend City. Darn, I never got a Ladmo Bag. I live on the Eastside now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo86 View Post
i came along a little later than you i think,mid to late 70's,early 80's. but i vividly remember getting my ladmo bag .i actually have commodore condello and many others on wallace and ladmos greatest hits on cd.quite funny,i am in tacoma suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 01:45 PM

18 posts, read 88,473 times
Default Alpine Valley Miniature Golf Course

Anybody remember this great miniature golf course on 27th Ave. south of Metrocenter?

Old 02-21-2008, 01:57 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrey heights View Post
Anybody remember this great miniature golf course on 27th Ave. south of Metrocenter?
I vaguely remember a miniture golf course around the area where the Black Canyon access road splits into 27th Ave. I think it was there for a couple of years after Metro Center opened, then they moved it a mile further north on the east side of Metro Center along the Black Canyon access road and I-17. I also spent a lot of time at Golf 'n Stuff playing video games, pinball and air hockey! That was our hang-out when we were teen-agers.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:40 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Somebody mentioned earlier about walking across the tarmac at Sky Harbor's terminal 2 after it opened in 1962. Everytime I've flown out of terminal 2, we used jetways, and I'm not sure exactly when they were added, to the best of my knowledge, the jetways were there when the terminal opened. Unless of course you meant terminal 1, which didn't have jetways.

I do also remember terminal 1, which was closed down after terminal 4 opened in late 1990, and it was later torn down. I know up until 1984, which was the last time I boarded a flight out of terminal 1 (SouthWest Airlines) I had to walk across the tarmac, but luckily it was in October not in the middle of July!

I also know that they're going to build another terminal where terminal 1 used to be.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:38 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrey heights View Post
I don't remember that minitaure golf course, but I remember Green Gables. Since I was a kid, I have no idea where it was/is.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I vaguely remember a miniture golf course around the area where the Black Canyon access road splits into 27th Ave. I think it was there for a couple of years after Metro Center opened, then they moved it a mile further north on the east side of Metro Center along the Black Canyon access road and I-17. I also spent a lot of time at Golf 'n Stuff playing video games, pinball and air hockey! That was our hang-out when we were teen-agers.
You may be thinking of Putt-Putt, which was right on the freeway and not far from Alpine Valley. Alpine Valley was an older course, first appearing in the early to mid '60s. As the name suggests, it was a theme course that was evocative of the Swiss Alps. Had much more character than the relatively bland Putt-Putt courses. It must have disappeared in the mid to late '70s. I think there's an apartment complex on the site now. Its address was 8313 N. 27th Ave.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
I don't remember that minitaure golf course, but I remember Green Gables. Since I was a kid, I have no idea where it was/is.
The Green Gables course was at 24th St. and Thomas. It was operated by the same company as Alpine Valley, and was also a theme course.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:21 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,811 times
Quote:
I remember someone telling me that the reason a lot of the old houses in downtown phoenix have balconies was to hang wet sheets. Smart.
Actually many of the old homes had screened in porches. During the summer, after the sun went down, the screens would be wetted down, truning them into evporative coolers. Folks would then sleep outside on their porches.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:38 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,364 times
Does anyone remember Bates Nut Farm and the Alligators, out on Apache Tr.?

Old 02-24-2008, 06:36 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,790,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
Does anyone remember Bates Nut Farm and the Alligators, out on Apache Tr.?
Of course! It's always been a real busy crossover there at 96th St and the Trail. Lots of crashes, especially during snowbird season. Before the freeway went through, Apache Trail was US60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area