Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Just for fun, here we have the famous 1950 Camelback Inn Buffet served at noon by the pool each day during the season October thru May. Animal rights people would be all over them today.

Attachment 84201
Is the Camelback Inn still around? Is it still a nice place to go? How about Mountain Shadows? With all of the new hotels popping up all over I just wondered how the old classics fared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 01:48 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,136,068 times
Quote:
Just for fun, here we have the famous 1950 Camelback Inn Buffet served at noon by the pool each day during the season October thru May. Animal rights people would be all over them today.

Attachment 84201
I think PETA would OK that spread, as in People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:53 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
Quote:
I was in the dealership in 1952 to see the wife of a friend and she worked upstairs where the offices were. The pop records of Circle's was in the showroom and they used part of the service area for classical records. The parking lot was the old car lot. Later, I think Dodge/DeSoto took over the building for a while.
One last note about the Circles building. Some books and websites show the circle of bricks on the wall facing Central and comment how decorative for the 1940's when in fact, as I remember the building, that wall was the open service entrance off Central and the circle of bricks added when Circles closed in the area with bricks for their classical record department.

There were other dealers in the area at the time, north was Lincoln Mercury on Garfield across from Mehagians, A Campbell Nash dealer at Roosevelt along with Stephens Motors where Ledbetter later had an auction; going south, Oldsmobile and Cadillac at Van Buren.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:32 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,136,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Is the Camelback Inn still around? Is it still a nice place to go? How about Mountain Shadows? With all of the new hotels popping up all over I just wondered how the old classics fared.
I saw the closed Mtn Shadows or what remained a couple years ago, but I understand the Camelback Inn is a still-open Marriott property now.

Is John Gardiner's Tennis Ranch still open? I worked maintenance there in the summer of 1979. Once I was sent to one of the private casitas (name was "High Lob") at the top of the complex to repair something in the patio area, and discovered a giant boulder that appeared to have fallen from the mountain into the casita's pool. It was a bit unnerving, as I wondered how to get it out of there, and how I would explain to my boss the situation. Turns out it was intentionally placed there as an in-pool seat.

Working there was a bit like being in Caddyshack.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:53 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,058,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post

Is John Gardiner's Tennis Ranch still open?

the buildings are still there, but it's now called Sanctuary.....not at all a tennis place anymore, but rather an upscale, hip, "boutique" place.....ugh...

Scottsdale Arizona Luxury Resort | Sanctuary Camelback Mountain Resort & Spa

Old 08-29-2011, 09:38 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
Quote:

Is John Gardiner's Tennis Ranch still open? I worked maintenance there in the summer of 1979. Once I was sent to one of the private casitas (name was "High Lob") at the top of the complex to repair something in the patio area, and discovered a giant boulder that appeared to have fallen from the mountain into the casita's pool. It was a bit unnerving, as I wondered how to get it out of there, and how I would explain to my boss the situation. Turns out it was intentionally placed there as an in-pool seat.

I thought I recognized the name, I have a photo taken in 1978 of the pool. Here it is, memories.
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-scottsdale-john-gardiners-tennis-ranch-1978.jpg

Old 08-29-2011, 10:32 PM

214 posts, read 646,577 times
Quote:
WOW!!! It stayed open all of these years! Unbelievable! Not bad for a record store...they must've really kept up with the changes in audio.
They changed the name from Circles Records and Tapes to Circles Tapes and Discs sometime in the 90's.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:35 PM

214 posts, read 646,577 times
Quote:
Could Circle's have been at a different location in the 70's??? I remember a large parking lot on the north side. Memories change alot after 35 years so I could have this confused with someplace else.
Circles parking lot was on the north side of the building...used to hate parking there at night because there were no windows looking out to the parking lot...it was not in the best of area's either. At one time they had a security guard posted at the entrance to the lot.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
I saw the closed Mtn Shadows or what remained a couple years ago, but I understand the Camelback Inn is a still-open Marriott property now.

Don't remember the Tennis Ranch but I do remember when Camelback Inn and Mountain Shadows were the place to go. Guess I'm dating myself.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
They changed the name from Circles Records and Tapes to Circles Tapes and Discs sometime in the 90's.
I only remember it being called Circles Records...we all had vinyl back then...8 tracks for the car...well some cars... cassettes hadn't even come out yet. lol back in the 'olden days'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area