Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 02:54 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I remember Serendipity, but remember it being south of Indian School, maybe Main or 1st Street. It was something of a head shop, with love beads, incense, posters, lava lamps and black lights, and the like. It was in the very early 70s when I went there. Wasn't there also a similar place called The Curiosity Shoppe, maybe I'm thinking of that instead.

Is the clock tower on Stetson between 5th and 6th still there? I don't remember it the last time I was down there. It was something of a landmark in the 70s.
Much like "Michael's Apple Pie" I think that was on Central maybe around Osborne or Thomas...I walked into a tobacconist recently and the smell of incense brought me right back to the early '70's.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 03:19 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,758 times
Default La Amapola

Roosevelt

Do you have an address for the La Amapola bar (in the Duece) from back in the '70s? This is where Ernesto Miranda was killed on 1/31/76

Thanks

Willie

Old 03-28-2012, 04:32 PM

283 posts, read 880,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Roosevelt

Do you have an address for the La Amapola bar (in the Duece) from back in the '70s? This is where Ernesto Miranda was killed on 1/31/76

Thanks

Willie
Don't know about La Amapola, but Ernesto resides in City of Mesa cemetary. The guy who killed him was read his Miranda rights and promptly took off for Mexico never to be seen again.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-miranda.jpg  

Old 03-28-2012, 06:25 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Roosevelt

Thanks

Willie
La Ampola, 233 S. 2nd Street.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia Camelback View Post
I remember there was a shop there on Fifth Avenue that I would often stop at when I was a kid. I think it was called Serendipity. It's probably been gone for 25 years.
There was a Serendipity at 100 West 5th Ave. Also one on Central but I don't know if they are related.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
There was a Serendipity at 100 West 5th Ave.
wow, that must date back to when Scotts had its own addresses and wasn't synched with Phx.....????....anybody know when the two towns synched up??

Old 03-28-2012, 10:09 PM

2 posts, read 8,254 times
Haven't visited this thread for a long time. Fantastic to see it's still thriving!

And as always, thanks to roosevelt for posting all the provocative (in a good way, of course!) historic photos.

Re: the Kachina Theater in Scottsdale, I saw a few movies there in the 60s--How the West Was Won, Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. All in Cinerama, I guess.

Near the Kachina used to be Gene's Broiler Buffet, one of my favorite eateries. Hamburgers, baked beans in individual ceramic pots, homemade pies.

Can anyone confirm or refute my recollection that William Edward Compton (KDKB DJ, Compton Terrace, etc) died when his car plunged into the Crosscut Canal along 48th street south of Indian School?

My buddy and I used to hunt crawdads in that canal. It seemed like the Grand Canyon to us, it was so deep and steep-sided. Usually had only a trickle of water running though.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:17 PM

285 posts, read 904,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davd bob View Post

Can anyone confirm or refute my recollection that William Edward Compton (KDKB DJ, Compton Terrace, etc) died when his car plunged into the Crosscut Canal along 48th street south of Indian School?

My buddy and I used to hunt crawdads in that canal. It seemed like the Grand Canyon to us, it was so deep and steep-sided. Usually had only a trickle of water running though.
Yes. June, 1977

KDKB AT 20IN THE HANDS OF BILL COMPTON, THE STATION SHAPED A GENERATION--THEN FELL VICTIM TO ITS OWN SUCCESS - Page 4 - News - Phoenix - Phoenix New Times

Fifth paragraph down.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:24 AM

20 posts, read 53,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
World Beyond was on Saturday mornings at 10:30 AM on KPHO TV 5. Godzilla vs Meggalon (sp) etc... What Phoenix channel was the TV show that had moonbase Alpha... white landing craft, cast wore white, I think it was British. Early Sci-Fi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
I think the show was Space: 1999

Space: 1999 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know what channel it was on. According to the article the producer had to sell it to local stations. So I guess that would have been either 5, 15 or 45.
It was on channel 12 at 5PM on Saturdays, the Muppet show was on afterward. I don't remember watching 15 or 45 in those days(that was about 1975 or so), 15 came into being with ON tv, I think that was in the early 80's.

I've been reading this thread all week, still haven't got through it all. So I hope nobody else answered this question.

Thanks to all for filling in so many memories.
I was born at St, Joseph's in 1967, except for 2 years in Camp Verde. I've lived in the valley my whole life. So I can answer some questions about the area, and I have a few as well.

I grew up in my Grandmother's house on N 4th st, I was closest to 4th st and Montebello. The house was built when 4th street was called Kay Drive.
My Grandfather built the house in the 50's, with leftovers from his construction projects.
His company was Cox Homes, I'll assume that a few of you may have lived in one of his houses. He died in a helicopter crash in 1961, so I never met him. I have the family albums from that period and some of the pics will be of interest to some. My Grandmother owned the house until 1983 when she sold it, and moved to Camp Verde(after I lived up there, my mother and I had moved to Tempe by then).

Of course I have fond memories of Wallace and Ladmo, as well as Ladmo's Clubhouse, and I had won 2 Ladmo bags. I remember going to the Ladmo's on Bethany Home.

I remember going to Christown Mall a lot, I really liked going to Charlies House of Fun. That was quite a place. There was a toy store under the UA theaters anybody remember the name?

Websters Hobby shop was another one that was real neat, I also remember Tower Hobbies which was much bigger than Websters.

Anybody remember Scholers(sp?) toy shop? It was in the shopping center NE corner of 7th st and Glendale.

How about Crown Imports(yes it's still there) I miss the room they had with decorated Christmas trees around the holidays.

I have a lot more to tell.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 AM

272 posts, read 608,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I remember Serendipity, but remember it being south of Indian School, maybe Main or 1st Street. It was something of a head shop, with love beads, incense, posters, lava lamps and black lights, and the like. It was in the very early 70s when I went there. Wasn't there also a similar place called The Curiosity Shoppe, maybe I'm thinking of that instead.

Is the clock tower on Stetson between 5th and 6th still there? I don't remember it the last time I was down there. It was something of a landmark in the 70s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Much like "Michael's Apple Pie" I think that was on Central maybe around Osborne or Thomas...I walked into a tobacconist recently and the smell of incense brought me right back to the early '70's.
Funny - these posts got me thinking of Jutenhoops at the Town & Country on Camelback. I was seriously into stunt kites in the 80s, and Jutenhoops was one of the only place in the Valley that carried them. They also had lava lamps, posters, "odd" gifts & cards, & incense burning all the time.

That led me to think of Coyote Springs Brewing Co (replaced with a Chili's). First microbrewery I'd even been to. There was a glass wall in the pub that looked out onto the brew floor with the big copper kettles. They brewed an amber pilsner that was one of the best beers I've ever had.

There was also an Italian restaurant at T&C on the north side of the property (on Camelback), made the best angel hair w/pesto. Very casual; served wine in small juice glasses. My best friend & I used to have lunch there every couple of weeks. For the life of me, I can't remember the name...

Got it! Tucchetti's. (I knew I'd figure it out eventually... I spent enough time there. )

Last edited by JoeC; 03-29-2012 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: correct a misspelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area