Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 10:12 PM

22 posts, read 59,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighMadman View Post
"Feed ... the birds ... feed ... the birds ... Feedthebirds!"

Hey -- still no takers on my "mystery comedy show" line?
Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 06:09 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,477,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusmiles View Post
Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in?
I can't remember if anyone answered that question and as this thread is approaching 100 pages, it's too hard to go check...

Wasn't that Mr. Grudgemeyer's line while in the park, before Ladmo came and disturbed his tranquility?

Old 09-30-2009, 09:17 AM

107 posts, read 423,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
and since you asked...OK I know you didn't but Im sharing anyway.

Here's a match-up I did of 58th & Glendale.1917-2003.

check out the horse & buggy - simpler times man.
Really neat "then & now"!

I'll bet the footlong subs were only about a nickel in 1917.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:13 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I can't remember if anyone answered that question and as this thread is approaching 100 pages, it's too hard to go check...

Wasn't that Mr. Grudgemeyer's line while in the park, before Ladmo came and disturbed his tranquility?
Yes it was... I loved Mr. Grudgemeyer... one of my favorite skits.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:12 PM

362 posts, read 1,701,203 times
Default 58th & Glendale-again

Since you liked that so much, here's a bit more. Same intersection as seen in 1915 and c.1940. Circled in red is the old Sine Hardware building just south of Glendale Ave. The water tower that appears in both images was the main water source for Glendale back then. The color inset shows the building in 2003 and yes - it's still there.
BTW the Sine family were very influential in the development of Glendale.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-58th-glendale.jpg  

Old 10-01-2009, 12:50 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,627,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Since you liked that so much, here's a bit more. Same intersection as seen in 1915 and c.1940. Circled in red is the old Sine Hardware building just south of Glendale Ave. The water tower that appears in both images was the main water source for Glendale back then. The color inset shows the building in 2003 and yes - it's still there.
BTW the Sine family were very influential in the development of Glendale.
This must be the same building after remodel during 60's?

Attachment 50009

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-21-2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
This must be the same building after remodel during 60's?

Attachment 50009
I doubt it: note the lack of 'belt molding' trim just below the roof and too in both of WW's pics; the windows were/are double hung..........not casement (crank out with steel frames) style as in your pic. Casements were rarely retrofitted into older buildings that I am aware of.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:07 PM

117 posts, read 293,642 times
I remember when they were filming Psycho back in '98 and I was 8 years old then! Sorry I'm kinda young so I don't have memories way back in the days.

YouTube - Psycho - Gus Van Sant (1998) - scena iniziale

(I couldn't find an English version of this video so if you guys wanna know what they're saying learn the language)

Old 10-01-2009, 10:46 PM

133 posts, read 376,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I do remember it, but can't remember the title. If we're thinking of the same movie, it was filmed in different parts of Phoenix and was an early made-for-tv movie (maybe one of those anthology TV shows that was popular at that time, like "Bob Hope Presents the Chrysler Theater" - it wasn't on the big SF shows like Twilight Zone or Outer Limits). Part of it was also filmed at the Celebrity Theater at 440 N. 32nd St., which at the time was known as the "Star Theater". The plot involved a foot race with the grand prize being a small piece of land to live on away from the hordes of people populating the earth. The race started at the Celebrity Theater. (A friend was an extra for the scene - I'd ask him the title, but he has, sadly, passed away since then.) The only other thing I can remember is at the end, as the hero has won the race and the prize, and the last scene shows he and his wife on a little square of grass - then slowly zooms out to show them surrounded by hundreds of other people.

I thought Robert Culp was in it, but I checked his filmography on IMDB and didn't find anything similar (and 1965 sounds about right, for the time frame). I think it was only on TV, not released theatrically. Hope this jogs your memory.
Yes, yes! This is it. I totally forgot about the foot race and the Cine Capri. Do you remember that the wife's best friend turned her into the police because she had gotten pregnant without a permit so that she could get her son into the hospital because he was very ill? Bizarre plot line, to say the least. I'm wondering if it was an LDS movie???

Old 10-01-2009, 11:06 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,477,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertMom View Post
Yes, yes! This is it. I totally forgot about the foot race and the Cine Capri. Do you remember that the wife's best friend turned her into the police because she had gotten pregnant without a permit so that she could get her son into the hospital because he was very ill? Bizarre plot line, to say the least. I'm wondering if it was an LDS movie???
Read a little further on in the thread from my post, we got it fully identified!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area