Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2017, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,200 times

Advertisements

I used to work for TWA and our layovers in Phoenix were at the Skyriders Hotel! We (the cockpit crew and flight attendants) used to rent a car and go up to Pinnacle Peak Patio long before there was any freeway going up there! More like dirt roads as I recall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 10:41 AM

43 posts, read 74,035 times
Cool back in the early 60's or late 50's.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Greatday made a comment in another post about how he remembers when Sky Harbor Airport was a grass strip...out in the middle of nowhere. That had to have been quite a while back...but I love to hear of how Phoenix used to be.

If you've never been, I highly recommend checking out some of the downtown neighborhoods...right off 7th Ave, east to about Central, and just south of McDowell. The streets are lined with huge palm trees, the houses are small, everyone has lawns and it just has a great feel about it.

I've heard stories of when I-17 stopped at Bell Rd and everything up here in North Phoenix was just orange tree groves in every direciton...that must have been something!

I've been here since 1992 and didn't catch any of that, but things have changed a bit since I've been here.
The 101 was...well, there was no 101. The bridges for the overpasses were in place, but it was just dirt and Beardsley was the road that everyone used. There were some older houses north of Beardsley (101), but only between 35th Ave and say 7th St...nothing else was developed, it was just open desert. I remember the merchantile store at 91st Ave and Pinnacle Peak being in the middle of nowhere and it was sort of a half way point on the way to Lake Pleasant, a place you stopped to gas up and grab some snacks...now it's in the middle of everything.
I remember back when I was a little kid my Dad (he was a civil engineer for the Arizona Highway Department, now ADOT) took me to 19th Ave and Broadway to see the beginnings of the Black Canyon Highway/freeway, now I-17!! This location was simply know as the Broadway Curve. And looking North all you could see were houses....the Dept. hadn't bought up the right-of-way yet!!

Old 04-22-2017, 02:48 PM

60 posts, read 143,624 times
AZNative1952, I think you probably mean the Durango Curve. The Broadway Curve is in Tempe.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 AM

Default Good correction. My bad.

Thanks Applegate8 for the correction. You are right!

By the way, doe anyone remember the Underground radio station, KCAC?(formerly KNIX Underground) Bill Compton and Toad Hall used to broadcast out of Wallich's Music City from Tower Plaza back in the late 60's and early 70's. I got to hang out with them many times when I rode my bike there. Loved the free form early FM station. The call signal changed to KDKB and they moved to their present station in Mesa. I hope my rememberer is working right. Good times!!

Old 04-24-2017, 11:16 AM

Default Stores from the past...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
and before Smittys were A.J. Bayless, Fry's (much smaller stores back then), Luckys & Safeway. I'm missing a few, there was an independent at 35th & McDowell, but I can't remember its name. Left ABCO out on purpose 'cause I don't remember seeing one before Smittys came to the valley.
My first real job at 16 was as a cart runner and bagger for El Rancho market located at 44th Street and McDowell Rd. My next grocery job was at Basha's on Mcdowell next to Los Arcos Mall in the late 60's....

Old 04-24-2017, 11:52 AM

Default ...saw the group War w/ Eric Burdon there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
The Phoenix Coyotes are o.k., but I really miss going to the old Roadrunner games in the VMC. Remember the guys in the hillybilly hats and overalls up in the nosebleed seats that would get up and dance periodically to a certain song. They would put the spotlight on them and the place would go nuts with cheering and clapping?
.....at the Mad House on McDowell is what we locals called it...or AKA, the VMC or Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Just like everyone knew what was at the corner of 24th and Van Buren...........the nut house.......

Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 PM

7,220 posts, read 9,292,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNative1952 View Post
My first real job at 16 was as a cart runner and bagger for El Rancho market located at 44th Street and McDowell Rd. My next grocery job was at Basha's on Mcdowell next to Los Arcos Mall in the late 60's....
I'd completely forgotten El Ranchos.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:19 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,485,671 times
Quote:
I remember both those. Wasn't there a Thrifty's next to the El Rancho's, and a Baskin Robbins around the corner?

Old 04-24-2017, 10:21 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,485,671 times
Quote:
.....at the Mad House on McDowell is what we locals called it...or AKA, the VMC or Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Just like everyone knew what was at the corner of 24th and Van Buren...........the nut house.......
Also known among Fairgrounds employees as the Ice House - not sure if that's because the AC is the best there out of any of the Fairgrounds structures...

Old 04-25-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I remember both those. Wasn't there a Thrifty's next to the El Rancho's, and a Baskin Robbins around the corner?
Yes, you're right on both accounts. I failed to mention those when I first posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area