Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 01:18 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,265,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
Only one complaint-- too hot! Love everything else and I recognize if it were cooler our house would cost several hundred thousand more (thinking CA).
Same here...I miss the trees from Oregon and Wa, but thats not enough for me to hate. I just can't take the endless months of heat. Love almost everything else. I think the cost of living is more (FOR ME) because back in Oregon, my electric bill was half, I had no need of a pool man, I didn't pay for AC maintenance 2 times a year, I did't water my lawn...ever... Food cost more, but not if you had a WINCO near you, it actually cost less. This place needs more WINCOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 05:19 PM

77 posts, read 123,364 times
Coming from a major research/development/tech area on the east coast, I really don't run into many people in these fields here. When people ask what I do for a living and I say IT there is more of a wow factor here. Where I used to live it seemed like everyone was in technology.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:28 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,265,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veek View Post
Coming from a major research/development/tech area on the east coast, I really don't run into many people in these fields here. When people ask what I do for a living and I say IT there is more of a wow factor here. Where I used to live it seemed like everyone was in technology.
So you get to be the smart one...sounds good to me

Old 08-17-2013, 05:33 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,337,427 times
Things I don't like about Phoenix....

1. June
2. July
3. August
4. September

Old 08-17-2013, 07:00 PM

23,545 posts, read 24,049,201 times
Great way to put it! May can also be just as bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Things I don't like about Phoenix....

1. June
2. July
3. August
4. September

Old 08-17-2013, 07:10 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,564 times
The politics here sucks. Too many white men over 40 here who are Republicans. Late June to Mid September weather sucks. Being a right to work state here sucks, wages are too low. Not having a Black and Asian population triple its size is another minus (although it is growing a lot).

Too much urban sprawl. No ordinances to block urban sprawl in favor of rehabbing the central city area. Too much destruction of historic buildings. Too many Charter schools. lack of a cosmopolitan feel.

Lack of a more highly educated population another minus. Lack of a prestigious university like Stanford. Public transportation is bad and the light rail not going to high end popular shopping and entertainment areas is disappointing. Sheriff Arpaio being reelected all these times sucks. The bad treatment of Latinos and SB1070.

But there are a lot of places much, much worse than this, we don't have tornados or snow, we are changing demographically, and eventually 1/2 of the things I don't like about this city will change on their own. I prefer this city over many others, eliminating the things I don't like would make it better.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:17 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,672 times
Wel Goober..
I have never seen a latino treated different than a white. Sometimes, folks need to be locked up, they deserved it.

Arapaio is elected.
Rhere have been tornado's. And I have seen snow on the ground, not for long though...

Urban sprawl... where do you live?

Changing demographics... And what was the reason to live in Phoenix???
If you like old buildings and a different political power, Detroit might be a great place.

I don't want to be rude, but folks move to Phoenix because what it is, and than they want to change it.........

Old 08-17-2013, 08:30 PM

975 posts, read 1,405,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Wel Goober..
I have never seen a latino treated different than a white. Sometimes, folks need to be locked up, they deserved it.

Arapaio is elected.
Rhere have been tornado's. And I have seen snow on the ground, not for long though...

Urban sprawl... where do you live?

Changing demographics... And what was the reason to live in Phoenix???
If you like old buildings and a different political power, Detroit might be a great place.

I don't want to be rude, but folks move to Phoenix because what it is, and than they want to change it.........
Not to offend you but I believe this type of attitude is probably my least favorite thing about the Phoenix area. Too many white (men and women) over 40 in the Phoenix area have this attitude, and while it suits them, it makes Phoenix look pretty horrible on a national level.

My biggest complaints about Phoenix are the following:

1.) Overall pro-big business, anti-consumer, anti-latino, anti-poor people, "get off my lawn" political attitude.
2.) Underinvestment in schools and overall low quality schools. They are always the 1st thing cut when the budget needs to be cut and the people in my # 1 complaint always complain that there is too much wasted money in education. You can only cut so much before it starts to hurt. To find a good school system is a challenge.
3.) Lack of yards (and those ugly stucco and / or cinder block walls that separate yards), I am not much of a fan of rocks, cactus, and plants that hurt me.
4.) Poorly constructed, ugly, "cookie cutter" homes everywhere. You almost have to have a home at least $600,000+ to get anything decent.

That being said, the demographics (and politics) are changing and in 15 years Arizona will look a lot more like Colorado looks today demographically and politically.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:49 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,672 times
Ah.. yes , Colorado... I was last month in the little quaint town called Pueblo... Talking about treating everybody the same...

Denver is sinking al its money in a street car system that wil cost millions for generations to come.
Al the resort towns where you have to be a millionaire to live.

bbrr. let's hope not.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:30 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times
I lived in the Pacific Northwest and seen this first hand there. People move there to get away from the mess in the state/place they came from (normally California) and when they get there they complain about the politics and immediately want to start changing things.

I see the same in this thread, people who came here from somewhere else and complaining about the makeup of the population and the political climate.

I moved here because I liked it here, why the heck would I want to change it into the place I just left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area