Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 07:33 AM

3 posts, read 4,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
The politics here sucks. Too many white men over 40 here who are Republicans. Late June to Mid September weather sucks. Being a right to work state here sucks, wages are too low. Not having a Black and Asian population triple its size is another minus (although it is growing a lot).

Too much urban sprawl. No ordinances to block urban sprawl in favor of rehabbing the central city area. Too much destruction of historic buildings. Too many Charter schools. lack of a cosmopolitan feel.

Lack of a more highly educated population another minus. Lack of a prestigious university like Stanford. Public transportation is bad and the light rail not going to high end popular shopping and entertainment areas is disappointing. Sheriff Arpaio being reelected all these times sucks. The bad treatment of Latinos and SB1070.

But there are a lot of places much, much worse than this, we don't have tornados or snow, we are changing demographically, and eventually 1/2 of the things I don't like about this city will change on their own. I prefer this city over many others, eliminating the things I don't like would make it better.
Thats why its great because its conservative republican. [mod cut- rude]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 11:07 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,267,501 times
No very shady parks to get relief from the sunshine.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:22 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,747,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant21b View Post
Thats why its great because its conservative republican
Some of us like the place despite that.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:15 AM

943 posts, read 2,522,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySun View Post
You have good points. I think it's too little too late though. The city should've focused on these things decades ago. Now there are more options for educated people to live. The question is why would a educated professional or entrepreneur choose to come to Phoenix when they can live in Seattle, Chicago, D.C, Boston, NYC, Minneapolis, Austin, SF Bay Area, Atlanta, or even Dallas? Arizona doesn't exactly have a very positive reputation.
Because, for many of us, we can make the approximate same amount of money while living in a relatively inexpensive house, with relatively low taxes (certainly no local taxes). Also, this is much closer to where extended family lives. Phoenix isn't perfect, but I'm surprised by everyone suggesting that wages are low; we find them quite competitive and seem to be surrounded by neighbors that enjoy a quality lifestyle. If we lived somewhere more expensive, we certainly couldn't enjoy the goals of maxing out deferred comp programs and pre-paying our mortgages (house on east coast is almost payed for). Phoenix isn't perfect, but I know many people that have great jobs!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:39 AM

14 posts, read 15,542 times
The heat.
The amount of chaos that happens every day at the witching hours (12-3) like dogs barking, helicopters hovering flying around playing tag for whatever reason, sirens constantly going, neighbors playing music loud as heck.

Everyone here just about, is angry at the world and is either too mean, or too good to say hello in the grocery store.
If you look at people 8/10 times its asking to engage in a fight.
So many irresponsible gun owners (im a gun owner myself, but some of these people are ridiculous. Cant walk fifty feet down the street to circle k without it kindof ridiculous)

Absolutely no nightlife unless your already somewhat socially plugged in.
Im a phx native and ten years ago this place was alright, not fantastic but just alright.

We used to ride our sandrails & quads & gopeda in the street like nothing was wrong. Now thats begging for a ticket & possible jail time.

Were so overpopulated its sickening

I cant wait to finish trade school & gtfoutta here

Old 02-03-2014, 08:55 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicnomad24 View Post
The heat.
The amount of chaos that happens every day at the witching hours (12-3) like dogs barking, helicopters hovering flying around playing tag for whatever reason, sirens constantly going, neighbors playing music loud as heck.

Everyone here just about, is angry at the world and is either too mean, or too good to say hello in the grocery store.
If you look at people 8/10 times its asking to engage in a fight.
So many irresponsible gun owners (im a gun owner myself, but some of these people are ridiculous. Cant walk fifty feet down the street to circle k without it kindof ridiculous)

Absolutely no nightlife unless your already somewhat socially plugged in.
Im a phx native and ten years ago this place was alright, not fantastic but just alright.

We used to ride our sandrails & quads & gopeda in the street like nothing was wrong. Now thats begging for a ticket & possible jail time.

Were so overpopulated its sickening

I cant wait to finish trade school & gtfoutta here

This week's clear leader so far in the overgeneralization/exaggeration contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area