Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 10:40 PM

13,444 posts, read 7,436,963 times
Been here 19 years my wife was born in Phoenix she grew up in Maryvale in the early 1970's. The first thing I want to say is I hate the dust. The desert dirt is very fine partials creates a lot of dust in the house. My wife constantly sneezes like 100 times a day. Lack of summer monsoon my wife remembers a lot more rain in Phoenix now most thunderstorms dry up as they approach Phoenix called the Island effect from all the hot concrete. This makes 110 days hot and humid you can't even stand out in the sun for more then 15 minutes. Winter rain is far and few between now so it's dryer and dustier. Winter is 1 month January we will hit the 20's and its really dry too. Most of the year it's full UV sun the whole day. Roads in Phoenix are cracked up and repairs are shotty. Also I notices a lot of contractors are shady here workmanship is lacking you hire a licensed contractor then the guys that come out to work can't speak English most are not trained in a trade just cheap labor. It angers me that I'm paying the contractor a lot of money he is paying his subs or guys nothing and you end up with a lacking results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 01:42 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,311,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySun View Post
I agree. It's going to be a challenge though since the city is way behind in a lot of things more established cities have. The best thing you guys can do is to grow your own talent base from within. To do that you have to improve in education, that's a must. Like you said, the city can't keep relying on things like sunny weather an cheap housing. It needs to invest in the things that will attract educated people to live there. Also, I think throwing away money to attract outside companies to relocate is a fool's game. It's much wiser to use that money to nurture and grow homegrown companies instead.
I tend to agree more & more that homegrown business is the way to grow instead of trying to attract businesses from the outside. The problem is we have had a fair share of local businesses that did very well and became nationally or even globally recognized ... only to be bought out by even larger corporations, causing the headquarters to be located elsewhere. Two examples of this were Dial Corp., and Circle K. Technically, I guess you can say both corporations are still based here, but they were bought out by the larger giants which are based out of the country.

Education is important, but not to the point where 50% of the state budget is spent on public schools, and many people are still saying that's not enough. The public school system really has become little more than a babysitting service. What we need are good quality schools, but throwing more tax money at the problem isn't the answer. We already have good private schools, but we could use more for increased competition. Some of the most prestigious universities are privately run, so that should be our focus as far as education is concerned.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:49 PM

173 posts, read 405,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I tend to agree more & more that homegrown business is the way to grow instead of trying to attract businesses from the outside. The problem is we have had a fair share of local businesses that did very well and became nationally or even globally recognized ... only to be bought out by even larger corporations, causing the headquarters to be located elsewhere. Two examples of this were Dial Corp., and Circle K. Technically, I guess you can say both corporations are still based here, but they were bought out by the larger giants which are based out of the country.

Education is important, but not to the point where 50% of the state budget is spent on public schools, and many people are still saying that's not enough. The public school system really has become little more than a babysitting service. What we need are good quality schools, but throwing more tax money at the problem isn't the answer. We already have good private schools, but we could use more for increased competition. Some of the most prestigious universities are privately run, so that should be our focus as far as education is concerned.
I hope that the next governor focuses on these two things alone. These are the achilles heel of AZ.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:39 PM

484 posts, read 1,369,937 times
The only dislike I can think about at the moment were the Palo Verde trees. Grr! I am so allergic and no matter what meds I took did nothing for me. Then again I'm allergy prone to other things that sparked up my allergy attacks as well, so that is something personal for me.

I sure do miss the beautiful mountain views.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:45 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,988,586 times
Low temps which haven't dropped, with one exception, under 80 since Aug 11th. 112 4 days after Labor Day.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,633 times
Can someone explain what the scoring of reputation is about? As I am new to this site, I see I should post my sources
when I share information. I am enjoying reading some of the comments. Lots of bright people. Looking forward to the next postings.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:00 AM

24,552 posts, read 26,111,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaLady View Post
Can someone explain what the scoring of reputation is about? As I am new to this site, I see I should post my sources
when I share information. I am enjoying reading some of the comments. Lots of bright people. Looking forward to the next postings.
Pop on over to the FAQ forum, lots of good info there.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

If you need more info on any topic or want to ask a question, there is the About The Forum forum here.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/about-forum/

Old 09-10-2013, 04:29 AM

39 posts, read 358,322 times
Dealing with people that want me to employ them that can't speak English.

Yes... I know... what a jerk I must be to expect people that want employment from me to be equipped with the ability to speak English.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:42 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,276,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Low temps which haven't dropped, with one exception, under 80 since Aug 11th. 112 4 days after Labor Day.
was nice and cool(er) as I walked my boy to school this morning.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:28 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,725,197 times
I was gorgeous out there today. Kinda cool and wet, like San Diego. Except San Diego feels like this year round. I'm sure it will be back up in to the high 90's soon but hopefully (fingers crossed) we are done with the 103+ shizzle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area