Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 01:58 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
There are many areas of taxation in which people of Arizona pay FAR less than than people in other states. Yet the state has to raise SOME income to do things that most everyone agrees we need. Like road repair, for example. Would you rather pay a higher state income tax for that?

I think the license tag price is a great way to raise needed funds. It charges the most to people who, obviously, can afford the most or they wouldn't be buying expensive, new cars. I've lived in places where someone who owned a Maserati paid the same fee to tag their car as someone with a twenty-year-old Honda. Now that IS "ridiculous."

Just hang on to your car for awhile. You will be rewarded handsomely because the price will go way down in only a couple of years. I pay LESS to tag my car than I paid in Pennsylvania ... AND I pay much lower state income tax. Win/win.
Can anyone provide guidance as to how much car registration actually costs? There was a link posted in another thread that I followed and it showed I would pay $10.25??? That can't be all if everyone says it is super expensive!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/31111069-post13.html

I have been all over the ADOT site and can't find anything specific about fees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 07:45 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdsmom View Post
Huge stray problem perpetuated by groups of individuals that think it's fine to open their front door in the morning and let un-neutered/ un-spayed dogs out for the day and just hope they come back at night. We also have animal dumpers that breed their pets like crazy to make money and when they can't find homes...they dump them somewhere to make them someone else's problem. We are #2 in the country in animal intakes & deaths at the county pounds, most of them Chihuahua & Bully breeds, second to Los Angeles. Don't even get me started with the people that move and don't take their pets with them.

I wish the cities canals or agriculture irrigation trenches were built safer so something or someone can get out if they fall in and kept cleaner-there's an area that I drive by and there are always cups & bottles floating in it.

We have wacky people in office that embarrass the city, maybe not as much as Filner in San Diego though.

Lack of fine dining, entertainment & a nice mall on the west side.

Count me in, I love them! I had wood fencing in California & Texas, the weather is so hard on them and they aren't as good as blocking noise. I'd like my block wall to be even bigger, like a fortress!
All the things you've listed come down to one thing....people! But that's one 'problem' I have NO idea how to 'fix'. I agree with your "wishes" though. I think too many people just don't care.

I keep thinking about what I don't like about Phoenix. It's too bad that I remember when Phoenix was pretty 'small' because now it's just too big, too much traffic, too many people and just too much, period. I admit I have lived in more small towns/cities than I have in big cities but I much prefer the more laidback smaller towns. I have to go down there because I have 19 first cousins, plus all their progeny, living there so I 'suffer' and go. LOL

Old 08-26-2013, 07:54 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
For me, there are just way too many people here. Back in say 1980, Phoenix had about a million people and was a comfortable size. We did not have all the freeways (I-10 stopped at Dysart and the 360 at Country Club and there were no Loops) and we really did not need them. There were amenities enough and getting out of town, which is the best thing about this area, was relatively easy to do. Today, yuck, yuck, ugh and more ugh. People, congestion, pollution, over-commercialization everywhere. Like so many places, the crush of people has destroyed what all those people came here looking for. I am part of the problem, of course, but I vow that if I ever get the chance I will get the heck out of Phoenix and leave it to those of you who enjoy this mess.
Tried to rep you but it wouldn't let me. Just wanted to say that I totally agree with you. Smaller was better but you know what they say about "progress". I don't really mind visiting down there but I don't ever want to live there again. I have a ton of family, and my older daughter, living there but I ain't going!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,647,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Can anyone provide guidance as to how much car registration actually costs? There was a link posted in another thread that I followed and it showed I would pay $10.25??? That can't be all if everyone says it is super expensive!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/31111069-post13.html

I have been all over the ADOT site and can't find anything specific about fees
There is no way to tell you how much it will cost to register "your" car because it depends on the value. I just did the title, registration, plate and tags on a mid 90's Chrysler Concord. All that was a little over $30.00. New cars cost MUCH MORE since their value is more.
Also, don't forget to add in the cost of getting it smog certified. $27.50.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:59 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
There is no way to tell you how much it will cost to register "your" car because it depends on the value. I just did the title, registration, plate and tags on a mid 90's Chrysler Concord. All that was a little over $30.00. New cars cost MUCH MORE since their value is more.
Also, don't forget to add in the cost of getting it smog certified. $27.50.
Thanks for the reply.

Well, I have a 2004 Beetle. It was about 28K when new. If an older car (like yours) would cost $30 + $27.50, then that is WAY cheap. IMO.

I was just trying to get an idea of why so many were saying the cost of registering a car was so outrageous. And why the cost of upkeep was so astounding.

Where I live upkeep isn't cheap considering the abuse done by salt, sand, freezing and hot temp extremes, and the dreaded crater sized potholes that come with it.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:03 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,936 times
This thread is so long. It's going to take me awhile to read through all the posts. Thanks for your responses.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:31 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,016,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
The only real negative, IMO, is the lack of diversity in the job market. It's a great place to live, but not such a great place to work. It's odd that this is the 5th biggest city in the US, but the businesses here don't really reflect that. I don't think I've ever seen so many people working jobs they're overqualified for, because that's mostly what's available.
I find this hard to believe, but I guess it's all about your perspective. I'm coming there because Las Vegas doesn't have a diverse job market. Phoenix runs circles around what Las Vegas offers.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:02 PM

701 posts, read 1,097,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I find this hard to believe, but I guess it's all about your perspective. I'm coming there because Las Vegas doesn't have a diverse job market. Phoenix runs circles around what Las Vegas offers.
I don't doubt that at all! It's all relative. But Las Vegas is the 31st biggest city in the US. Phoenix is the 5th/6th (close with Philadelphia.) I meant that for its size, Phoenix seems to have a really limited, low-paying job market.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:13 PM

173 posts, read 404,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
I don't doubt that at all! It's all relative. But Las Vegas is the 31st biggest city in the US. Phoenix is the 5th/6th (close with Philadelphia.) I meant that for its size, Phoenix seems to have a really limited, low-paying job market.
Phoenix also was recently cited as having the lowest number of Fortune 500 Corporate Headquarters for any the large American cities. About to get worse when US Airways HQ shuts down, as planned with the merger.

The problem with a lack of HQs is a lack of high paying jobs. When US Airways leaves, the entire state of Arizona will only have five F500 HQs left.

Philly has 10 such HQs in the area. The entire state of Pennsylvania has 23. Oh, you say...Penn has twice as many people! Yes, they do. So why doesn't Arizona have 11 or 12 Fortune 500 companies and not 5?

Old 08-27-2013, 03:44 PM

73 posts, read 222,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaLady View Post
It is scary how extreme right wing this city is.
Phoenix rates 4th in the nation for spending the least amount of money per student in the school system.

That's good. Not indulging the unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area