Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 01:25 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokuku View Post
Phoenix also was recently cited as having the lowest number of Fortune 500 Corporate Headquarters for any the large American cities. About to get worse when US Airways HQ shuts down, as planned with the merger.

The problem with a lack of HQs is a lack of high paying jobs. When US Airways leaves, the entire state of Arizona will only have five F500 HQs left.
This has always been a concern of mine. Having a large amount of Fortune 500 companies headquartered in any city gives the city prestige, and gives the strong reputation of being business friendly & world class. Competitive, higher paying jobs also arise from this. Phoenix has the potential to be a world class city, but it seems like there's a lack of interest from people who move here for non essential reasons like the climate, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
So not to be cynical, but I think the Phoenix job market might be great for people who don't have degrees, because there's an equalization factor--whether you dropped out of high school, or you completed grad school, you'll probably end up working the same job for the same pay anyway. Geez, our governor dropped out of community college, so I guess that really sets a precedent for the rest of the state.
My degree has helped some in my advancement, but I don't credit that alone. A college degree is nice to have, and it definitely can make a difference in salary ... but how hard you work, how willing you are to do extra projects, how well you network, and overall people skills are the key. This is not just in Phoenix, but everywhere. These days, pretty any kind of college degree can be earned on line and it just doesn't have the merit like it used to.

I really think too much emphasis is put on kids attending college, and not enough emphasis is put on hard work. Many of these young people go to college just to party, socialize, play sports, or just to say they're attending college, but many of them don't know what they want to major in. The worst part is all the student loans they have to pay when they graduate, and they often can't begin to afford it on their own. The best education in my experience is learning by DOING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecoming View Post
They move there for the sun, low-cost housing, the lazy laid-back life style, to retire, and then die - that's about it. Real productive life, huh?
I agree, except for the part about coming here to die. That's a little over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Oh man, this guy again?! Just because you were a failure here doesn't mean everyone else is. I assure you that no one thinks a $35-40k salary is living well.

Things I dislike about Phoenix? People that moved here with high hopes, failed miserably and then go on to blame their poor experience on the city and not themselves.
Other than the exaggeration & being negative, Seattlecoming is absolutely right about the unfortunate lack of competitive jobs & business minded people. Those who move here strictly for the climate, retirement, and cheap housing really contribute very little to making the city or metro area more world class. We still put too much emphasis on things like the sun, seasonal tourism, and golf resorts. That's one of the reasons why Phoenix is viewed by many outsiders as little more than a small desert city. That was fine 40 years ago when we were smaller, but the nation's sixth largest city should be attracting more reputable firms, educated people, entrepreneurs, as well as prominent leaders in big business. We should also strive to be a year round destination ... not just some part time haven for snowbirds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 07:56 AM

678 posts, read 1,066,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
omaraz,

While I've only lived here for going on six years I have to say I've never experienced anything you're talking about. You're using a lone person "from Chicago" as an example of how Phoenix is as a whole? I think you just ran into someone "from Chicago" that is an idiot as that isn't representative of the Phoenicians I've seen over the last six years. Your example would make more sense if you were complaining about people "from Chicago" then it does about Phoenicians as a whole.
You completely missed my point, it has nothing to do with Chicago, it has to do with the attitude this woman had about her lifestyle and used it as a reference point of condescend. That attitude isn't just a Chicagoan attitdue, there are plenty of people from all over the US, native Arizonans and Phoenicians, etc. that live in metro Phoenix that did the same time.

I believe OP asked, "what don't you like about Phoenix" for me this (condescending people and arrogance) was it, I was also responding to a post that specifically asked for "an example" so I gave one. There are plenty others that I could have shared. I have plenty of friends that still live in Phoenix and love it and don't share my perspective. They are entitled to their opinion based on their experience just as much as I am entitled to my perspective based on my experiences and the same goes for anyone on this board...not everyone will agree with one another.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:56 AM

173 posts, read 404,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Other than the exaggeration & being negative, Seattlecoming is absolutely right about the unfortunate lack of competitive jobs & business minded people. Those who move here strictly for the climate, retirement, and cheap housing really contribute very little to making the city or metro area more world class. We still put too much emphasis on things like the sun, seasonal tourism, and golf resorts. That's one of the reasons why Phoenix is viewed by many outsiders as little more than a small desert city. That was fine 40 years ago when we were smaller, but the nation's sixth largest city should be attracting more reputable firms, educated people, entrepreneurs, as well as prominent leaders in big business. We should also strive to be a year round destination ... not just some part time haven for snowbirds.
Great post, and it goes along with this thread's question. What don't I like? Well, Phoenix doesn't strive to be better.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:27 PM

408 posts, read 581,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
It's ugly scenery
it's suburban sprawl
it's lack of culture
it's lack of diversity
how hot it gets
it's not unqiue
not an urban center
crappy sports teams
tries too hard to be like the westcoast instead of the southwest

i can go on and on but you get the picture.

Tucson > Phx

-Tucson is less diverse than Phoenix as a city last time i checked?

-Tucson has much worse scenery imo, they don't have south mountain, camelback or even the Mcdowell's type of cascade Phoenix metro has. Way more epic compared to those flat flowing mountains down in Tucson lol.

- Both cities are hot as ever in the Summer.. i guess Tucson 2-3 degree difference is more tolerable.

-Tucson has U of A and oops nothing else.. so kill that the statement about sports teams!

-Phoenix is definitely southwest culture... LA has a way different vibe, granted both cities have similar attributes and Phoenix is younger than LA so its gonna have its style in some way shape or form.

-Ok I give you sprawl.. its damn crazy and will hopefully be cooling off into the years to come. Downtown Phoenix is more of an urban center than it was five years back.

Please come back and visit before you do this again..thanks

Old 08-28-2013, 05:02 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,053,206 times
Phoenix area has terrible FM music stations. There isn't even one alternative rock music station in town... Unbelievable.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:53 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,659,713 times
I have another one. Few solid dive bars. None with pinball. Get with it, AZ hipsters.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:59 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,721,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I have another one. Few solid dive bars. None with pinball. Get with it, AZ hipsters.
Plenty in Prescott, Jerome and Flagstaff if you want to have that vibe and that is a good thing. I am a sports bar ,juke box and dartboard type myself although I do not drink at bars locally anymore because the drinking laws don't make it worthwhile. One beer in your system can get you popped so I drink at home unless I am in walking distance on vacation. There are a couple "dive bars" pretty close to where I live in Tempe along Baseline and McClintock area and I've hung out at them drinking unleaded beverages and the people seem cool enough. When I am done I buy a 6 pack and settle in at home.

I mentioned the bad drivers on the highways along with getting the monsoon humidity without the rain the other day. However, Tempe FINALLY got some action monday night where I live. I hate the cold and snow and understand the trade off of living in the Sonoran Desert is a lack of rain. I enjoy rain and thunderstorms and that is something I miss. I've actually on weekends gone storm chasing just because I love a good thunderstorm. You see them north,east and south but very rarely over Tempe as I stated.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 PM

182 posts, read 297,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
This has always been a concern of mine. Having a large amount of Fortune 500 companies headquartered in any city gives the city prestige, and gives the strong reputation of being business friendly & world class. Competitive, higher paying jobs also arise from this. Phoenix has the potential to be a world class city, but it seems like there's a lack of interest from people who move here for non essential reasons like the climate, etc.

You have good points. I think it's too little too late though. The city should've focused on these things decades ago. Now there are more options for educated people to live. The question is why would a educated professional or entrepreneur choose to come to Phoenix when they can live in Seattle, Chicago, D.C, Boston, NYC, Minneapolis, Austin, SF Bay Area, Atlanta, or even Dallas? Arizona doesn't exactly have a very positive reputation.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:49 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,721,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiWonder13 View Post
-Tucson has much worse scenery imo, they don't have south mountain, camelback or even the Mcdowell's type of cascade Phoenix metro has. Way more epic compared to those flat flowing mountains down in Tucson lol.
The Catalinas are way more pretty IMO (more jagged and rocky/granite looking, with pine trees like the Tetons) not to mention the Catalinas are about 5000 feet higher than every peak in the Phoenix area with the exception of Four Peaks. The other factor is that the Catalinas get snow every year that sticks for at least a few weeks unlike Phoenix where Four Peaks is the only one taht gets any measurable amount and it's gone in a day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiWonder13 View Post
Both cities are hot as ever in the Summer.. i guess Tucson 2-3 degree difference is more tolerable.
Tuscon may be only a few degrees cooler in the day but the real difference comes after sundown. Tuscon is much cooler at night.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:57 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,721,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySun View Post
The question is why would a educated professional or entrepreneur choose to come to Phoenix when they can live in Seattle, Chicago, D.C, Boston, NYC, Minneapolis, Austin, SF Bay Area, Atlanta, or even Dallas? Arizona doesn't exactly have a very positive reputation.
Motorola, Microchip, Intel, Lockheed, Honeywell, General Dynamics, Western Technology, Black & Veatch, ASU Research Facility in Tempe..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Phoenix area has terrible FM music stations. There isn't even one alternative rock music station in town... Unbelievable.
Yeah, it's really just pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area