Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:24 AM

36 posts, read 60,096 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking to hear from people who can speak from personal experience who moved from another state and attended ASU and had to deal with gaining residency.

Here's my situation:
-Moved from California in February for a family emergency (left before I finished my degree in Cali! I only had one class left, and am taking it online now so I will have my associate's by the end of this year).
-I changed my address with my bank sometime in March, so by March 2014, that should document my address has been in Arizona for a year
-I have not been able to find a job since I moved here - I live with my mother
-My mother works as a nanny and taxes are not taken out of her check :s
-My name is on our apartment lease for a year. I signed in July

I hope to attend the Fall semester. I contacted the California transfer Rep at ASU, and she advised me to go ahead and apply and if/when I'm accepted, deal with residency then.

Any advice? Anything you can tell me at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 10:02 AM

Also, a forum search yielded this website:
WICHE | Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education

I called and left a message. Will update when I know more about this. I think I'll call ASU admissions right now and ask them about it

Old 08-26-2013, 10:28 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn13 View Post
Also, a forum search yielded this website:
WICHE | Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education

I called and left a message. Will update when I know more about this. I think I'll call ASU admissions right now and ask them about it
WICHE is not for undergraduates, as I understand it. At least it didn't used to be, when my brother used it. It is to provide tuition reduction/assistance to out of state students in professional schools (dental, veterinary, etc) in nearby western states.

If you are looking at entering for fall 2014, you should be all right, given the information you've provided.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:31 AM

Hi there,

It must have changed. Here is the Undergraduates program: Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) | Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education

Plus ASU and Information Technology seems to be covered, which is my criteria.
WICHE - Student Exchange Programs

Also, I did talk to someone at ASU, and they confirmed they take part in the WUE program. He also said there was no limit he knew of of how many students can receive WUE rates

Old 08-26-2013, 10:46 AM

6 posts, read 9,907 times
I just transfer to asu from uofm and we need to be voters and dl in az before they would change it. But they let you resi gter and then they switch it to residents once it is approved...
Good luck

Old 08-26-2013, 12:20 PM

784 posts, read 923,601 times
Just fill out the form and send it in....they aren't totally following the rules so there is some wiggle room....just be sure and be honest on the form...the penalties for lying can be severe.

If you do get residence status it will have an affect on your financial aid package and not always to the better.

Best thing to do is go visit the financial aid office and discuss it with them.....school starts this week doesn't it?

Old 08-26-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
Just fill out the form and send it in....they aren't totally following the rules so there is some wiggle room....just be sure and be honest on the form...the penalties for lying can be severe.

If you do get residence status it will have an affect on your financial aid package and not always to the better.

Best thing to do is go visit the financial aid office and discuss it with them.....school starts this week doesn't it?
I think the OP is talking about fall 2014. Fall semester 2013 at ASU started last week.

That WUE program does help with the cost, for sure. But, you'll qualify for residency in fall 2014.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:38 PM

Yes, I am talking about Fall 2014. Technically will have residency in March 2014.

Also, what form are you referring to, exactly?

I have not yet put in my application to ASU, because of the enrollment fee right now. I will do my application in a week or two, I think. Maybe sooner.

My main concern is that supposedly when you're trying to "prove" your residency, they want financial proof that you can pay for school on your own without financial aid, which I find impossible and absurd. If I had that kind of money in the first place, I probably wouldn't be so desperate for a degree!

Old 08-26-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn13 View Post
Yes, I am talking about Fall 2014. Technically will have residency in March 2014.

Also, what form are you referring to, exactly?

I have not yet put in my application to ASU, because of the enrollment fee right now. I will do my application in a week or two, I think. Maybe sooner.

My main concern is that supposedly when you're trying to "prove" your residency, they want financial proof that you can pay for school on your own without financial aid, which I find impossible and absurd. If I had that kind of money in the first place, I probably wouldn't be so desperate for a degree!

I think that poster is referring to the enrollment application.

I agree with you that making some sort of connection between residency and needing (or not needing) financial aid doesn't make sense. There are plenty of people who've lived here all their lives who need financial aid to attend ASU.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:52 AM

Thanks for the replies. I would still like to hear from people who have gone through the residency thing with ASU, though It would be helpful

It does seem like all I can do is apply and like my transfer rep said, just cross that bridge when I get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: