Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 02:35 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,339,899 times

Advertisements

Three economists from ASU spoke at an economic forecast event yesterday. Their primary point: our population will not grow and we will not be able to add jobs to our economy until the rest of the United States stops perceiving our state as a joke. Or as the Arizona Daily Star summarized, "What's the best way to boost Arizona's economy? Stop getting mentioned on the Daily Show."

Mike Orr, director of the Center for Real Estate Theory and Practice (ASU's W.P. Curry School of Business), said we need to think long and hard about how we look to the average Californian. He explained that the Golden State is the biggest market of people who could move here to become economic drivers. He said we need to realize that right now we are not portraying ourselves as a place Californians would be "proud to move to."

ASU economist Dennis Hoffman described the "vicious circle" our economy is now in:
-People won't move here until there are more high-paying jobs,
-We can't have high-paying jobs until companies and investors are convinced we have well-qualified and trained workers,
-They won't find those people here until we have better public education,
-Our lawmakers de-fund public education because we have a bad economy.

Orr said Arizona is well-known nationwide as having a low per-pupil spending. That, and other educational issues, makes the state look bad in the eyes of American business. He stressed that it's not a tax issue. "It's not taxes, because they would save enormous amounts of taxes by moving to Arizona now." Gov. Brewer has provided generous credits to companies moving here and corporate income taxes were slashed 30% during her administration. The result was further losses in economic growth.

The economists have studied the issue of migration out of Arizona seriously. They have come to the conclusion that we have an image problem professor Lee McPheters described as "our allure is fading." In our part of the nation, the economies of Nevada and Colorado are growing far faster. He said that shows up most dramatically on television where Arizona is a constant source of jokes from comedy programs. He said the actions of our state legislature show us as being one of the "least hospitable states."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 03:00 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,321,770 times
It hardly took the three eco-migos to point this out. I, myself, have commented on numerous occasions how it has turned from a point of pride to a matter of embarrassment to tell people I am from Arizona. It is not coincidence that our economic recovery is being hindered by the perception of this being a right wing nut house.

Compare us to Texas, a state whose population is, in reality, to the right of Arizona. You don't see them passing laws to discriminate against gays. They aren't slasing their school budgets and bankrupting the public education system while passing out government checks to religious schools. UT is a liberal institution of academic renown while ASU is getting known for crime and partying. They are not trying to put guns in every bar and classroom in the state. And they have all but an open-door policy toward Hispanic immigrants.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:06 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,981,025 times
Spending per pupil is such a meaningless metric by itself. We could spend a million dollars per pupil and get almost nothing in return for it. And I'd like to see data that shows that Californians who watch the daily show are the ones that necessarily drive an economy. I know many people who left California and live here now for the exact reason that it is different than California. Maybe that "economist" should go try and start a business in California and then one in Arizona to see which one actually has a better business climate.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:10 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,786,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Orr said Arizona is well-known nationwide as having a low per-pupil spending. That, and other educational issues, makes the state look bad in the eyes of American business. He stressed that it's not a tax issue.
Gee, you mean taxes and labor laws aren't the only things that matter? Knock me over with a feather.

We all know that taxes can be too high, but they can also be too low. If taxes are too low, you start to get what you pay for.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:40 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,710,858 times
we're dooooooooooooooomed!

Old 05-09-2014, 03:46 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,081,929 times
If we are so darn inhospitable, how come people are still moving here in droves? And as for the school issue, there are plenty of charter and private schools for all these elite Californians to put their kids in. Who ever said we want all of California to move here anyway? We have half of NY and LI coming here. Isn't that enough?? Maybe the big companies should stay put so we will have less pollution in our valley. We are not a joke in the media. Many other states look to AZ for direction and it makes me proud. JMHO

Old 05-09-2014, 04:09 PM

784 posts, read 924,586 times
Well this is news to me....well I know of 4 people that just this week decided to move from the "Detroit Southern District" formerly known as "Illinois" to Arizona.

My oldest son graduates this month and has decided to stay instead of moving back and my wife and youngest son...both tax paying producers will be moving out in mid June and I will be following by the end of the year.

You can say all the negatives you want about Arizona but the fact is there are other parts of the country that make Arizona seem like a garden of eden.

The fact is after being a proud Illinoisian for so long we just can't take the continuus tax increase, corruption at the highest level, watching business after business leave, seeing were whole familes haven't had anyone for 2 generations not work one job among them while we work so hard to support them.....we've had it....then on top of that you get to deal with crappy weather.

So sorry...but I couldn't disagree more with the premise of this thread....get out and see what is going on with the rest of the country......believe me...Arizona is doing fine...just fine.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:11 PM

805 posts, read 2,003,813 times
I'm proud to be an Arizonan and personally would be happy to see Californians not move here if they share the same mindset that turned California to what it is now....If they are trying to escape, and this is utopia....because of mindsets here than I welcome them with open arms!

I just can't stand to see the ones that come and try to make everything how it was where they came from. If I wanted to pay 10% plus in taxes, $4.79 for gas, have insane crowding, house prices double ours, crime rampant, etc I would just move there. I mean who wants to spend more for a special lawn mower because my 49 state legal mower can't be sold in CA???

Texas was mentioned....why do people think Texas is excelling so much and pulling big business from California? Because they have similar politics to AZ, they aren't just falling in line with CA. They are trying there darnest to maintain small gov't mentality in TX even with the floodgates of people coming in. Businesses go there because it is lucrative and not nearly as restrictive.

Apple didn't get built here because AZ sucks....Tesla wasn't putting our name in the bucket because we have poor policy.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:25 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
I'm proud to be an Arizonan and personally would be happy to see Californians not move here if they share the same mindset that turned California to what it is now....If they are trying to escape, and this is utopia....because of mindsets here than I welcome them with open arms!

I just can't stand to see the ones that come and try to make everything how it was where they came from. If I wanted to pay 10% plus in taxes, $4.79 for gas, have insane crowding, house prices double ours, crime rampant, etc I would just move there. I mean who wants to spend more for a special lawn mower because my 49 state legal mower can't be sold in CA???

Texas was mentioned....why do people think Texas is excelling so much and pulling big business from California? Because they have similar politics to AZ, they aren't just falling in line with CA. They are trying there darnest to maintain small gov't mentality in TX even with the floodgates of people coming in. Businesses go there because it is lucrative and not nearly as restrictive.

Apple didn't get built here because AZ sucks....Tesla wasn't putting our name in the bucket because we have poor policy.
It's not about economic policies, taxes, etc. As the story says, AZ has cut taxes for business and they still are not coming here. It's about the bigotry that took over this state, about the utter disdain for public education that leaves us near the bottom not just in funding, but in attainment. Businesses we want need educated employees. One can make the argument that we are not anywhere near as bigoted and short-sighted as our reputation. But perception is reality to those who don't know. These guys are not some ivory tower economists. Mike Orr is one of the biggest and most respected names in Arizona economics and it would behoove the politicians to listen to what he is saying.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:18 PM

175 posts, read 372,606 times
I think this is the first time I've disagreed with Mike Orr. People don't base their decision on where to relocate based on comedy shows. At least I hope they don't! And I'm glad "we are not portraying ourselves as a place Californians would be proud to move to." If we were, I wouldn't own a home here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area