Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:55 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,177,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Is it really that bad?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...nix+smog&gbv=2

I recall seeing some smog, but these pictures look like LA...
Yes, it's exactly like the photos on many days. Today was especially bad as I could barely see the outline of the buildings downtown.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:55 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,732,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Bummer

> In the Tucson area the sky is very vivid blue, ...

It helps to be above 2,000 feet. In Payson/Prescott/Sedona it is a deeper blue and in Flagstafff at 7,000 feet ...
Great point, Mortimer . . . it also helps put a lid on the high's as well.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:05 PM

639 posts, read 2,713,761 times
I can Hardly see South mountain from the airport today. Disgusting.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:34 PM

235 posts, read 923,274 times
I wonder how many people who complain about the pollution carpool or take public transit to work ?

Old 12-20-2007, 01:38 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,177,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill- View Post
I wonder how many people who complain about the pollution carpool or take public transit to work ?
It would be wonderful if that could happen, but it's not that easy.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:58 PM

235 posts, read 923,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
It would be wonderful if that could happen, but it's not that easy.

I know, that's why we have a brown cloud. It's a monument to our preference of convenience over clean air.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:02 PM

435 posts, read 1,576,687 times
Do this- hike Squaw Peak on an average day during the winter months. When you get to the top, just look around at the panoramic view- you will be astonished at the layer of brown film hanging in the air in all directions below you, just above the skyline. It's actually pretty disgusting.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:05 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,965,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
The sky in Phoenix is very blue and brilliant. Yes, we have pollution, yes it hangs around the mountains, but not all the time. If fact, if we didn't have all those particles in the air, we wouldn't have such beautiful sunsets, because it's the sun filtering through the pollution that makes our sunsets so red and gorgeous. So I guess, there's one positive to the pollution here....
I know we have pollution and I wish that a city of this size would have been smart enough to have a subway system instead of above ground transportation. Shame really....

OMG, my husband was right about the Sunsets. I told him to look at the beautiful sunset the other day and he was telling me about the pollution. I thought he was just being funny. I didn't know it had anything to do with pollution.........interesting.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:39 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,329,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
If fact, if we didn't have all those particles in the air, we wouldn't have such beautiful sunsets, because it's the sun filtering through the pollution that makes our sunsets so red and gorgeous.
Nahhh... that's b.s.-- an urban legend. The best sunsets are when it is not polluted out but when there is some "cloudage" in the sky-- especially though high, wispy clouds (cirrus?). The best sunsets I have ever seen in AZ were not in Phoenix with the pollution, but rather in rural AZ-- on I-10 by Picacho Peak, coming back from Tucson, and on I-17 north of Black Canyon City. The most colorful sunsets occur during the monsoon season. Even on totally cloudless sunsets, though, it is beautiful if you look in the direction opposite from the sun-- for a few minutes that part of the sky turns a bright purple color. It has something to do with the "shadow" of the earth, as an astronomer once told me.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:45 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
OMG, my husband was right about the Sunsets. I told him to look at the beautiful sunset the other day and he was telling me about the pollution. I thought he was just being funny. I didn't know it had anything to do with pollution.........interesting.
You were right, pollution has nothing to do with sunsets. Well, it does, but pollution actually decreases sunset quality by diminishing light. Arid regions have great sunsets because there is little high altitude moisture to reflect solar radiation. It's the dry air, not the dust. Aside from the science, logically it makes no sense. If pollution were the cause of lovely sunsets, one would have to drive into town to see them. The sunsets are just as gorgeous outside the urban limits, out in the deserts or up in the mountains where the air is fresh and unpolluted - maybe better. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area