Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 08:38 AM

10 posts, read 34,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post

I wish APS would give you a way to compare how much your bill would be under the standard rate, the Time Advantage plan and others.

Under the "my energy" tab on your account page, there is a link to "compare service plans." I think it's a yearly comparison though, not monthly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 05:13 AM

805 posts, read 2,003,222 times
update to an earlier post I made. I just signed up for an equalizer plan with APS...my bill will now be 230 a month all year 'round. I feel as though this is a viable option for me as it is predictable and consistent. with the temp I keep the house in the summer, and the amount of time my pool pump runs this works out fairly well.

Again for reference...stats are 1600sq ft 2 story, single A/C, 30,000 gallon pool, and a constant temp of 76 in my house with numerous media equipment running a lot of the time.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 AM

39,097 posts, read 51,300,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Is the obsolete Combined Advantage Rate the best rate plan? I have never really paid much attention to rates all these years until now when the bill was $304 for July 2014. I am in a single story 2200 sq ft house, have a two year old 13 SEEER A/C unit, sunscreens or tint on every window of the house, have the A/C set at a constant 81 degrees, have no pool and do all major electric oven cooking, dishwashing and laundry on the weekends. The only daytime/on peak daily electricity usage is a constantly running wine refrigerator, the central A/C system, the computer on for 12 hours, and occasionally the television. Twice a week I will use the cooktop to cook either soup or pancakes. Last year (July 2013) I had the same routine and habits and thought the bill was high then. I also had a huge Subzero 30cu ft refrigerator in my garage last July that ran constantly, but don't anymore and the bill this July is $14 higher and I used more electricity despite having no fridge in the garage. Crazy. Have rates increased since last year? Here is part of the bill.

Comparing your monthly use
This month Last month This month last year
Billing days 30 29 30
Average outdoor temperature 93° 90° 92°
Your total use in kWh 2245 1850 2216
Percentage of on-peak use 46% 49% 45%
Your billed demand in kW 8.0 8.1 7.4
Your average daily cost $10.17 $9.61 $9.69

My on peak kwh was 1042 and my off peak was 1203.

I wish APS would give you a way to compare how much your bill would be under the standard rate, the Time Advantage plan and others.

What am I doing wrong?
There is a comparison tool online. On the same site you find your bill. I don't know that it is very useful though. The reason is that the estimate reflects the way you use electricity under your current plan and does not take into account that you would change your ways if you were to change plans. Like you might have a high ratio of use during on peak periods now, but if you went to time of day, then you would play the game and stop doing this. The same with demand.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:39 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,897,170 times
I live in the So Calif high desert where it's typically over 100 degrees during the hot months of the year. 4000 SQ ft home with two A/C units due to size of home. Home is well insulated for desert conditions, and rh is usually below 20%.
Rarely does my bill ever reach $100 monthly. Here is a copy of Edison payments over the last six months;

Payment History (Past Six Months) e-Bill History (Past Six Months)

Amount Deliver By Status Actions

$26.76
e-Bill Initiated Payment 07/30/2014 Processed View Payment
Show Related e-Bill

$41.16
e-Bill Initiated Payment 06/26/2014 Processed View Payment
Show Related e-Bill

$60.63
e-Bill Initiated Payment 05/28/2014 Processed View Payment
Show Related e-Bill

$26.39
e-Bill Initiated Payment 05/01/2014 Processed View Payment
Show Related e-Bill

$97.29
e-Bill Initiated Payment 03/28/2014 Processed View Payment
Show Related e-Bill

$65.88
e-Bill Initiated Payment 02/25/2014 Processed View Payment

If I turn on the A/C at all, it will be late in the day and keep it at 82 degrees. 78 is too cold and 72 would find me wearing a coat.
I turn on my whole house fan early in the morning and turn it off at 8am, which lowers the attic temp and the inside temp and raises the humidity to a conformable level.
I can't even imagine paying hundreds of dollars a month for electricity...

Old 08-04-2014, 12:01 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,985,014 times
Reading this thread reminds me of all who've posted about how they love the heat. There's a bunch here who certainly can't tolerate it, nor the bills they pay to avoid it.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I live in the So Calif high desert where it's typically over 100 degrees during the hot months of the year. 4000 SQ ft home with two A/C units due to size of home. Home is well insulated for desert conditions, and rh is usually below 20%.
Your comparison is pretty meaningless. Apple Valley even in the hottest months cools off on average to 61 at night.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,663,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Reading this thread reminds me of all who've posted about how they love the heat. There's a bunch here who certainly can't tolerate it, nor the bills they pay to avoid it.
Loving the heat OUTSIDE, is a far cry from not using air conditioning. That's like criticizing someone from MI who claims to like the cold, for using heat. What a senseless criticism. Guess what? We get to have both. Heat, sunshine and pool weather outside and cool and comfortable indoors.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Loving the heat OUTSIDE, is a far cry from not using air conditioning. That's like criticizing someone from MI who claims to like the cold, for using heat. What a senseless criticism. Guess what? We get to have both. Heat, sunshine and pool weather outside and cool and comfortable indoors.
Oh, OUTSIDE. Well, thank you for clarifying that one doesn't go hand in hand with the other, without consequence. Talking about senseless.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,663,029 times
Quote:
Oh, OUTSIDE. Well, thank you for clarifying that one doesn't go hand in hand with the other, without consequence. Talking about senseless.
LOL, the point that you tried (but failed) to make was exactly that. That people claim to love the heat but based on this thread, clearly use AC. If that's not it, what was the point you were trying to make with this statement?

Quote:

Old 08-04-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
LOL, the point that you tried (but failed) to make was exactly that. That people claim to love the heat but based on this thread, clearly use AC. If that's not it, what was the point you were trying to make with this statement?
If you can't figure that one out then there's nothing I can do for you. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area