Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:09 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,026,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I don't think a trip to the car wash is a treat! I drive a convertible and prefer to not wash the top if I can help it. Most car washes here seem to be automatic and that is very bad for the fabric. I have yet to find a self-serve wash that does a good job; most leave the car with worse spots than a light sprinkle.

I might try just wiping the car down with a damp towel and forego the car wash.
Don't do that. You'll scratch your clear coat by wiping that dirt across it. It's the soap that breaks the dirt down and lifts it from the surface. What I do between washes, is just give my car a thorough hosedown with a "trigger" nozzle. That removes 80% of the dirt right there, is easy, and won't scratch your paint.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:14 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Don't do that. You'll scratch your clear coat by wiping that dirt across it. It's the soap that breaks the dirt down and lifts it from the surface. What I do between washes, is just give my car a thorough hosedown with a "trigger" nozzle. That removes 80% of the dirt right there, is easy, and won't scratch your paint.

I don't have a hose.

I need to find a car wash that I can do myself (and avoid washing the top AT ALL) that doesn't leave the car more spotted than when I started.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:22 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I don't have a hose.

I need to find a car wash that I can do myself (and avoid washing the top AT ALL) that doesn't leave the car more spotted than when I started.
Back in MI there were self-service coin washes everywhere. I haven't seen them here at all, which seems odd.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Back in MI there were self-service coin washes everywhere. I haven't seen them here at all, which seems odd.
Yes, I was used to them being found every few blocks. There is one in my neighborhood here, and I was thrilled at first. But, once I used it a few times I realized that even using the "spot free" wash left lots of spots on the car. I can see now why there are always people parked nearby hand drying. You have to cash in dollars for tokens, too, so I have useless "money" in my car now from that place.

There is a waterless car wash out there (my mom was telling me about it). I need to look into that. I don't like to wash the convertible top more than once or twice a year if I can help it. Even the brushless auto washes are not good for the fabric.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:37 AM

7,192 posts, read 9,263,398 times
Most of the self serve car washes I've seen have a "spot free rinse". Does that not work for yours?

Old 08-27-2014, 10:40 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,921,617 times
Quote:
We have three of them up here in Cottonwood. We used to have a full service auto detailing place too but they went out of business. Have to go to Prescott now.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:41 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,144,205 times
Quote:
I live within a few miles of three separate coin self-service washes. However I choose to wash my vehicles myself.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Most of the self serve car washes I've seen have a "spot free rinse". Does that not work for yours?
No. As I said above

I realized that even using the "spot free" wash left lots of spots on the car.

This wash obviously doesn't use filtered or softened water. It's leaving calcium behind on the car. Noticeable on my yellow car, even worse on the boyfriend's black car.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:50 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,448,457 times
Quote:
I assume it has something to do with lack of water around here. The DIY joints cant be restricted or monitored like they can at regular car washes.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:57 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I assume it has something to do with lack of water around here. The DIY joints cant be restricted or monitored like they can at regular car washes.
Water is no more costly here. The washes are restricted by the amount of time allotted per coin. It's not like it's a free for all, nor would the business owner set the price below their cost. I don't think that's it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area