Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:47 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,448,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I almost never wash my car here. I just don't need to. In the midwest, it was a weekly chore from March to November and whatever random day in the winter that it would be warm enough to do so. In the summer it was just as often from bug splatters, something else I have not had an issue with here.

I bet in my almost 9 months here I have washed it about 6 times. Seriously. And the first time was just after I arrived after driving across the country in freezing rain and drizzle for a good part of it. One of the first things I noticed here was how clean everyone's cars seemed here. I was used to seeing a car wash every other block. They are far more scarce.

Edit: I didn't have a garage for most of the last ten years I lived in the midwest and never had an issue with frozen dorrs after washing it.
Im the opposite. When you washed your car in IL, it stayed clean for weeks in the summer, unless you took a road trip out on the highway, then the bugs would destroy your front end with their guts. There was no dust in the air like there is here. I can wash my car here, and the next morning its got a good layer of dust on it, so I wash mine once a week.

And howd you not have an issue with freezing doors? Id wash mine, and the next morning it would be iced shut so bad that Id have to go in through the trunk sometimes. And the windows would also be frozen shut. I remember one time I opened the door and the entire door seal pulled off, as it was frozen to the door.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:49 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And golf course watering has been frowned upon. Lately steps have been taken outlawing watering at certain times, etc. I believe some courses use water reclamation as well.

Car washes are a different beast. At the DIY stations, theyre not regulated. Ive seen people probably use a 100 or more gallons at a single wash... those idiots would stand there and pre-soak, then soap, then rinse and use the spot free water for 20 minutes sometimes. Such a waste of water out here in the desert.
"Frowning upon" does not equal not allowed. I still cannot find any proof of water restrictions nor specified watering times. Just because you believe it's a waste of water, doesn't mean there are restrictions in place.

I wash my car myself and wash it often. What some would consider a waste of water, I would call my use of water. If someone wants to dump more coins into a self-service car wash or pay for water use via their monthly bill, so be it.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:49 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,921,617 times
Quote:
Its not about cost, its about quantity of water. I was told (not sure if the source was reputable or not) there arent many DIY washes around here because they waste more water than a conventional wash, and some cities dont permit them. Like I said, not sure if thats entirely true, but why else would there be a complete lack of them around here? Makes sense to me. And its true that the DIY wash times are dictated by how many coins you put in, but there are people that like to spend upwards of 20 minutes in those washes, which is a waste of water.
I use the drive thru carwash and it probably doesn't take over five minutes from entrance to exit. I know when I washed it myself it took quite a bit longer and was a lot messier.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:58 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
Im the opposite. When you washed your car in IL, it stayed clean for weeks in the summer, unless you took a road trip out on the highway, then the bugs would destroy your front end with their guts. There was no dust in the air like there is here. I can wash my car here, and the next morning its got a good layer of dust on it, so I wash mine once a week.

And howd you not have an issue with freezing doors? Id wash mine, and the next morning it would be iced shut so bad that Id have to go in through the trunk sometimes. And the windows would also be frozen shut. I remember one time I opened the door and the entire door seal pulled off, as it was frozen to the door.
I just never did. The only time would be freezing rain. I cracked a windshield trying to remove that stuff.

As for dust, I don't notice a layer of dust every day. Maybe it depends on where in the valley you live? My car is still shiny clean weeks after wash as long as it hasn't rained, and even a good soaking rain can leave it pretty clean looking. It's the light showers that leave the spots that annoy me!

Old 08-27-2014, 11:58 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,184,921 times
In any case it seems as if monsoon 2014 is now over. Looks like the drier westerly airflow has established itself again.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:03 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Its not about cost, its about quantity of water. I was told (not sure if the source was reputable or not) there arent many DIY washes around here because they waste more water than a conventional wash, and some cities dont permit them. Like I said, not sure if thats entirely true, but why else would there be a complete lack of them around here? Makes sense to me. And its true that the DIY wash times are dictated by how many coins you put in, but there are people that like to spend upwards of 20 minutes in those washes, which is a waste of water.
The newer car washes, both DIY and attended, use recycled water. And by recycled I mean the water from your wash is "reclaimed" and used for subsequent customers. The ones who waste water are those who wash at home with a hose. And there is no lack of washes around here. They are common out this way. Maybe up there in Snotsdale you don't see them because you all have the money to pay people to do things for you; but we are poor on the west side and still have to wash our own cars.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:05 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I just never did. The only time would be freezing rain. I cracked a windshield trying to remove that stuff.

As for dust, I don't notice a layer of dust every day. Maybe it depends on where in the valley you live? My car is still shiny clean weeks after wash as long as it hasn't rained, and even a good soaking rain can leave it pretty clean looking. It's the light showers that leave the spots that annoy me!
If a dirty car bothers you, get a white one. I had a white truck for several years and never washed it once unless it went to the shop for something and they did it there. I have a dark colored one now and there is no point in washing it as it looks bad the next day.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:06 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The newer car washes use recycled water. And by recycled I mean the water from your wash is "reclaimed" and used for subsequent customers. The ones who waste water are those who wash at home with a hose. And there is no lack of washes around here. They are common out this way. Maybe up there in Snotsdale you don't see them because you all have the money to pay people to do things for you; but we are poor on the west side and still have to wash our own cars.
I wash my own car in Snotsdale, thank you.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
"Frowning upon" does not equal not allowed. I still cannot find any proof of water restrictions nor specified watering times. Just because you believe it's a waste of water, doesn't mean there are restrictions in place.

I wash my car myself and wash it often. What some would consider a waste of water, I would call my use of water. If someone wants to dump more coins into a self-service car wash or pay for water use via their monthly bill, so be it.
I didnt say being frowned upon equaled restriction, did I? I just said that golf course watering has always been a sore spot amongst Phoenicians, its a blatant waste of water.

Anyways, if youre just wasting water to waste water, then youre part of the problem that the SW faces. Washing your car is one thing, but if you can do it using less water and using the "waste" to water your plants, etc, then thats fine. But if youre the type who simply wastes water because you dont give a rats arse, then youre in the wrong. I see people here that just dont care about the water situation, and that just irks me to death. We should start fining those fools.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The newer car washes, both DIY and attended, use recycled water. And by recycled I mean the water from your wash is "reclaimed" and used for subsequent customers. The ones who waste water are those who wash at home with a hose. And there is no lack of washes around here. They are common out this way. Maybe up there in Snotsdale you don't see them because you all have the money to pay people to do things for you; but we are poor on the west side and still have to wash our own cars.
Im broke as a joke.

Truth be told, I took a monster pay cut coming down here to AZ from Chicago. Oh well, life goes on.

I agree about the driveway washing, its such a waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area