Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:56 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,029,657 times

Advertisements

Are we getting towards the end of monsoon season? I read in here that shortly after labor day things begin to dry out a little. Even if the humidity gets under 15% it will feel better. You'd think I could handle humidity easily, being a native Floridian. But I've become a humidity wimp, the heat I can handle though. Everything feels so much gentler when it's dry, in bed your sheets have that smooth dry feel, and your loin region never gets sticky.

I know it's part of the desert ecosystem to have this seasonal humidity and rain, without it we probably couldn't inhabit this part of the country. But I'm looking forward to when these puffy rain clouds are replaced by those light, airy clouds with that dry brown hazy layer at the horizon, you know what I'm talking about right

Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,485,055 times
Im enjoying the lowering humidity levels that the last week has brought, along with the cooler nighttime temps. We are scheduled for some more rain on Tues and Wed, so I expect higher humidity and more flooding if we get rain, but from here on out, storms will become less frequent.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:12 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,283,935 times
Also loving those lower nighttime temps; love watching the sky at night/dawn, though I did get chomped a few times by mosquitos and some other weird thing.

The Texas sage looks GORGEOUS right now; blooming like crazy. The bees are loving it, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Monsoon Coming to an End-2014-08-25-001b.jpg  

Last edited by cjs123; 08-25-2014 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Adding photo

Old 08-25-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
though I did get chomped a few times by mosquitos and some other weird thing.
The skeeters have been horrid this year. Ive learned to take a fan out with me at night, and have it set to "high", blowing right on me, to keep those nasty little cusses at bay.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:21 AM

I had a bee start dive-bombing me in the middle of the night, right in the middle of the yard--I wasn't even standing near any trees or shrubs! I walked into the house and he zoomed in ahead of me and flew into the guest bathroom. I closed the door and put a towel at the bottom; didn't open that door for two days. By then he was a goner; I would have been glad to usher him back outside, but he seemed more interested in zooming around me with a very LOUD buzz! I don't usually encounter bees flying around during the night; maybe he was a night-owl like me.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:27 AM

Best leave those alone, you did the right thing. There a problem with Africanized bees here, dont wanna **** those buggers off!

Old 08-25-2014, 10:41 AM

Yeah, I've been hearing about those. I honestly don't know if that was one or not and didn't even think of it at the time, which was probably a good thing.

"Remain calm...proceed to the nearest exit..."

Old 08-25-2014, 10:45 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,683,416 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've been hearing about those. I honestly don't know if that was one or not and didn't even think of it at the time, which was probably a good thing.

"Remain calm...proceed to the nearest exit..."
If it was a wild honey bee, it's almost a guarantee that it was an Africanized one. Odd that it would be flying at night through.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:46 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,489,545 times
The monsoon officially ends Sept 30 but usually ends within the first few weeks in September for the most part based on my experience. Dry air is right around the corner!

Quote:
I had a bee start dive-bombing me in the middle of the night, right in the middle of the yard--I wasn't even standing near any trees or shrubs! I walked into the house and he zoomed in ahead of me and flew into the guest bathroom. I closed the door and put a towel at the bottom; didn't open that door for two days. By then he was a goner; I would have been glad to usher him back outside, but he seemed more interested in zooming around me with a very LOUD buzz! I don't usually encounter bees flying around during the night; maybe he was a night-owl like me.
Sounds like you have a nest near by or perhaps you got caught up in a nest migration. I once witnessed a bee migration where literally thousands of bees were flying above me as I went to get the mail one morning. There were so many, they threw a shadow on the road and my mind took a minute to compute what was going on it looked so surreal. The buzzing sound was very loud also. I just froze and they left me alone/flew over me without incident.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:52 AM

That was the weirdest thing. At first when I felt something brush past me I figured it was some other bug, then I felt it hit my hair, my sleeve, and it kept coming back. ANGRY-sounding buzz which I didn't hear at first. Took me a minute to realize I was encountering a bee in the middle of the night.

Just googled images of 'wild honey bee' and 'honey bee' and to the best of my recollection that is what it looked like, but once it was dead I didn't study it very closely and it didn't stop moving when it was alive.

I have to read up more on this whole situation. Someone I know who lives in south Scottsdale said they were worried about Africanized bees there, and I hadn't given it a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area