Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 08:53 AM

975 posts, read 1,405,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfeeder View Post
kinda funny how grocery stores vary by region. Here in Portland Safeway is by far the best value. Winco is white trash central and is gross even going in there. Albertsons is a rip-off. Whole Foods and New Seasons are really spendy but obviously specialty grocers. Frys is non-existent.
Fry's, is the Arizona division of the national supermarket chain Kroger. Kroger operates stores under many banners such as QFC, Fred Meyer, Smith's, Ralph's, King Soopers, City Market, and Kroger itself, amongst others.

Other then the Fred Meyer stores (which are full "supercenters") a typical Kroger supermarket looks the same regardless of what banner the outside of the store says.

Fry's is non-existent in Portland but Kroger isn't (as they operate Fred Meyer and QFC stores there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 10:28 AM

518 posts, read 872,471 times
Quote:
kinda funny how grocery stores vary by region. Here in Portland Safeway is by far the best value. Winco is white trash central and is gross even going in there. Albertsons is a rip-off. Whole Foods and New Seasons are really spendy but obviously specialty grocers. Frys is non-existent.
Hmm if Safeway is the best you got that's... surprising. Winco here (as mentioned) is outstanding... just regular people/families.

We have two stores within close proximity (n. phx and glendale) and both are fairly new and immaculate. It's kinda like Walmart in that you can pretty much buy what you want without bothering to look at the price. You know you are getting a low price. If not the lowest it'll be awfully close.

Bagging your own groceries can be a negative for some.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:49 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Fry's is Kroger. It goes by a lot of names. I was surprised when my gas discounts from Frys were good at Fred Meyer in Alaska when I visited a few years ago.
AGreed. Kroger is still Smiths here in Mohave County. Too; since they're cheaper than Walmart, I now do most of my shopping at Smiths.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:36 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
In today's AZ Republic newspaper, more information about Haggen's...
10 Ariz. Albertsons, Safeway stores sold to Northwest grocer

Old 12-20-2014, 02:36 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,346,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
AGreed. Kroger is still Smiths here in Mohave County. Too; since they're cheaper than Walmart, I now do most of my shopping at Smiths.
That is because the Mohave County stores are part of the Las Vegas division, not the Phoenix division.

Note that I have an aunt who lives in Virginia Beach, Virginia, and she says that where she lives, Food Lion is typically cheaper than Kroger.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:09 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,958,253 times
Quote:
It's just because Winco here is still new and shiny. I found their meat and produce to be atrocious. Winco will only pull from the Wal-Mart crowd. If you are buying pre-packaged junk you can really shop anywhere. I will stick with Fry's/Albertsons because the meat and produce is better quality. You get what you pay for.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:27 AM

241 posts, read 386,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
It's just because Winco here is still new and shiny. I found their meat and produce to be atrocious. Winco will only pull from the Wal-Mart crowd. If you are buying pre-packaged junk you can really shop anywhere. I will stick with Fry's/Albertsons because the meat and produce is better quality. You get what you pay for.
This is exactly what I have found. Couldn't pay me to buy anything parishable in a Winco.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:13 PM

According to this article:
10 Ariz. Albertsons, Safeway stores sold to Northwest grocer

To get approval for the merger, Albertsons/Safeway is divesting stores to northwestern supermarket chain Haggen. For the Phoenix area, the sale includes two Albertsons stores in Scottsdale and one Safeway store in Anthem.

I'm a bit surprised that the sale didn't include either the Safeway or Albertsons across the street from each other on Power Road on the Gilbert/Queen Creek border. I assume one of the stores will probably close, and if I would guess, it would be the Albertsons store on the Gilbert side of Power, since it seems to be the less busy of the two.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:01 PM

13,277 posts, read 7,326,738 times
I think the battle between Walmart and Frys has taken a toll on Safeway / Albertsons I remember a few years ago when Walmart said they were going to try and push Kroger foods out by lowering their prices at the super stores and neighborhood grocery Walmart stores . I find Fry's has a good prices the fuel program is helping them fight Walmart off. Safeway and albertsons look like ghost towns I still go there now and then wonder how they stay in business.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/investor...beat-wal-mart/

Old 02-22-2015, 03:13 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but the merger was finalized on January 30.

Now here are a few things to wonder:
  • Will Safeway be keeping its loyalty program?
  • Will Safeway stores be losing their self checkout machines? Albertsons dumped them in 2011.
  • Will Safeway continue to operate its own gas stations? Albertsons sold its stations to Valero in 2008.
  • What will happen to Albertsons and Safeway stores in close proximity that haven't been divested to Haggen? Example: There are both an Albertsons and a Safeway across the street from each other on Power Road on the Gilbert/Queen Creek border, and neither store is included in the list to be divested to Haggen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area