Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:59 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,346,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Not going to be sad to see any of their stores close. Can't remember the last time I shopped at either store and not left irritated. The Safeway that I stop into that's a block away from work still doesn't have a self check lane. Hate having one item and having to stand in a line that's 6-7 people deep because they refuse to open more cash registers. Plus hate knowing that I'm paying a third more than I would at Fry's.
Note that with Albertsons buying out Safeway, self checkouts might be going away from Safeway stores, as Albertsons did away with their self checkouts a few years ago. I'm not sure how Safeway determines which stores get self checkouts, but most that I have been to do not have them. Fry's and Basha's, on the other hand, have self checkouts in almost all of their stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 09:18 AM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Note that with Albertsons buying out Safeway, self checkouts might be going away from Safeway stores, as Albertsons did away with their self checkouts a few years ago. I'm not sure how Safeway determines which stores get self checkouts, but most that I have been to do not have them. Fry's and Basha's, on the other hand, have self checkouts in almost all of their stores.
Albertsons dumped their loyalty program too. Safeway is expensive and it is downright extortion without a card. I read, though, that their will be little change - Safeway will be run as Safeway and Albertsons as Albertsons has been - at least in the short term. As for self checkout, "our" Safeway has it. When they don't I will go somewhere else.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:10 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,630,502 times
Albertsons is worthless. I hope all the stores close. For some reason, everytime I step into one of their stores, I feel like I've been transported back to 1972. It's just so outdated. Unfortunately I get the same feeling with Bashas.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:51 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,230,179 times
I hope as many stores as possible remain open. The more competition the better. Who cares about fancy renovations and upgrades. A clean, well lit store is what most care about. According to this article, the intention of the merger is not to close stores.

http://www.pionline.com/article/2014...y-merger-story

There are also Fry's stores close to each other that happened with the last merger.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:55 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Albertsons is worthless. I hope all the stores close. For some reason, everytime I step into one of their stores, I feel like I've been transported back to 1972. It's just so outdated. Unfortunately I get the same feeling with Bashas.
Not the Bashas near me. Covered parking, wiiide parking spaces, upscale decor inside including a nice sit down cafe type area with a flat screen TV. I like the experience there the best, it's the prices that keep me away.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:08 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
Love Winco, got hooked on shopping there when I lived in Idaho. Their grocery prices are even better than Wal-Mart's, plus they are employee owned. So the employees are actually friendly & helpful.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:08 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,689,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince3vince View Post
With the merger becoming official with the start of the year, will any of these stores end up closing due to close proximity? I frequent a safeway on FLW and given there is an albertsons a mile up FLW, was curious if they will close. Are the names changing as well or will they still operate under the Safeway business model?

From what I've read, they are keeping the two stores separate. In some area's where they have too many stores in close proximity they'll have to close either an Albertsons or a Safeway and I imagine they'll take the opportunity to slough off some of the more underperforming stores.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Albertsons dumped their loyalty program too. Safeway is expensive and it is downright extortion without a card. I read, though, that their will be little change - Safeway will be run as Safeway and Albertsons as Albertsons has been - at least in the short term. As for self checkout, "our" Safeway has it. When they don't I will go somewhere else.

Self-checkout comes with a major cost of increased theft though and why a lot of stores are questioning if they should continue offering it. Costco had a trial run and it ended up costing them considerably so they decided against it, although they always frame it as "these machines just annoy people, our employees can do a better job", but the bottom line is that it is costing them A LOT of money.

Self-checkout also creates a built in excuse for shoplifters when caught. "Oh, the darn machine is so difficult to figure out, I guess I just made a mistake."

Quote:
That's costing stores big time. Richard Hollinger, who studies theft for the National Retail Federation, says many companies are removing their self-checkout lanes, claiming customers don't like them. In reality, he says, they're just losing too much money.
"They've done the cost-benefit analysis, and there were some negatives that they never really anticipated," Hollinger says.
One reason is that at self-checkout, wannabe shoplifters have a great excuse.
"If I didn't scan everything, I can say, 'Oh, I couldn't tell what was going on, it was confusing, it was beeping at me,' " says Malay Kundu, the CEO of StopLift, a Massachusetts company that uses computerized video analysis to flag shoplifting.
Naughty Or Nice? Retailers Use Smiles To Fight Self-Checkout Theft : NPR

It just creates many new opportunities for shop-lifters or people to mislabel stuff that they are buying....ie.....get organic produce, pay regular produce prices...etc. Scan expensive coffee as cheap fruit....and so on.

I can understand why more and more stores want to avoid the whole thing, it just ends up jacking up the cost overall for everyone. I love the convenience of them but could also do without and wouldn't be shocked to see Safeway and even Kroger(Fry's) doing away with them completely.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:25 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,346,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post

I can understand why more and more stores want to avoid the whole thing, it just ends up jacking up the cost overall for everyone. I love the convenience of them but could also do without and wouldn't be shocked to see Safeway and even Kroger(Fry's) doing away with them completely.
Definitely don't see Kroger doing away with them; they are committed to them and even encourage their use over the standard checkout lines. Many Kroger-owned supermarkets now typically have fewer staffed checkout lines open during off-peak hours than they did in the past, while all the self checkout lines are typically kept open the entire day.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:17 PM

Around 146 Albertsons and Safeway stores were sold to Washington state grocer Haggen.

This reportedly includes 7 stores in Nevada and at least 3 stores in Arizona, 2 in Tucson and the Safeway at Anthem.

Haggen is expected to keep the stores running with the same employees but switching them over to Haggen Grocery branding by mid 2015.

Haggen to Expand from 18 Stores to 164 Stores with Major Acquisition - 23ABC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area