Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 03:31 PM

701 posts, read 1,430,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
I live in Gilbert and I am not Mormon, maybe two families total on our street are Mormon and they are perfectly nice to us. I haven't seen any mormon "stigma" here.
Do you have kids? Do your kids play with their kids? It's not about you so much as it's about the exclusion problems non-Mormon children face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 05:43 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,960,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
Do you have kids? Do your kids play with their kids? It's not about you so much as it's about the exclusion problems non-Mormon children face.
Not sure, I have never questioned my children's friends as to what religion they are

Old 04-23-2015, 08:51 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,619,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Not sure, I have never questioned my children's friends as to what religion they are
Well in Gilbert my children are asked by parents where they go to church before they establish any kind of friendship. It's not about if I care, they care.
But on that note you'll know soon enough if it matters. My kids have managed to find those who don't care that we aren't religious. It just takes awhile and it felt a bit odd because we were not at all use to it mattering.
It's more like the Bible Belt here.

Mesa has a bit of it as well but not as bad. Didn't feel it at all in Chandler, Tempe one Scottsdale.

Otherwise on a surface level it's great. You feel safe, and it's politeness extends beyond necessary. The mountain views are awesome.

The schools are ok, pretty new and traditional for the most part. The district is of course run by Mormon leaders and that makes for clean traditional old fashion environment, especially in the charters.

Shopping is great in Gilbert with an outdoor mall and an easy drive to the Queencreek mall as well.

I think by the description of what you'd like Gilbert fits the bill nicely. In Mesa you might find that house full of illegals you hate. So, check around first if you choose it. I never see that in Gilbert, the neighborhood is pretty involved in reporting things of that nature quickly. I did see it in the other cities I mentioned, it's what happens in border states, not much getting around it.

I like both CA and AZ but as soon as work allows I'm back in the OC or San Diego full time. I just fit better there and don't mind the trade offs, plus i don't like how the politics here effect insurance, state IDs, etc. it's just getting to be a headache. But that said sounds like you'll benefit from it.

It's a good fit for a lot of people.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:33 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,507,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Well in Gilbert my children are asked by parents where they go to church before they establish any kind of friendship. It's not about if I care, they care.
But on that note you'll know soon enough if it matters. My kids have managed to find those who don't care that we aren't religious. It just takes awhile and it felt a bit odd because we were not at all use to it mattering.
It's more like the Bible Belt here.

Mesa has a bit of it as well but not as bad. Didn't feel it at all in Chandler, Tempe one Scottsdale.

Otherwise on a surface level it's great. You feel safe, and it's politeness extends beyond necessary. The mountain views are awesome.

The schools are ok, pretty new and traditional for the most part. The district is of course run by Mormon leaders and that makes for clean traditional old fashion environment, especially in the charters.

Shopping is great in Gilbert with an outdoor mall and an easy drive to the Queencreek mall as well.

I think by the description of what you'd like Gilbert fits the bill nicely. In Mesa you might find that house full of illegals you hate. So, check around first if you choose it. I never see that in Gilbert, the neighborhood is pretty involved in reporting things of that nature quickly. I did see it in the other cities I mentioned, it's what happens in border states, not much getting around it.

I like both CA and AZ but as soon as work allows I'm back in the OC or San Diego full time. I just fit better there and don't mind the trade offs, plus i don't like how the politics here effect insurance, state IDs, etc. it's just getting to be a headache. But that said sounds like you'll benefit from it.

It's a good fit for a lot of people.
Gilbert wants to remain a clean, safe, pristine, conservative suburban area no matter how big it might get.

I agree with you, it's very family-friendly and it seems like it has some sort of bible belt influence but Gilbert is an exception, the rest of the valley isn't like this.

I read recently that Phoenix was fifth in the nation for most non-religious or religiously unaffiliated residents.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:46 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,619,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Gilbert wants to remain a clean, safe, pristine, conservative suburban area no matter how big it might get.

I agree with you, it's very family-friendly and it seems like it has some sort of bible belt influence but Gilbert is an exception, the rest of the valley isn't like this.

I read recently that Phoenix was fifth in the nation for most non-religious or religiously unaffiliated residents.
Wow, really? That's how I use to feel, I hardly ever ran into someone who asked what church I went to right off the bat. Aw, but since I've lived in Gilbert I feel like such a minority. It must just be here. I was starting to think all of Phoenix was changing over from all the bible belt transplants. lol
When I go over to my place in CA it's so different, it's made me think of leaving Phoenix for good. Maybe I should just find a place in Phoenix again. My poor kid feels like the devil.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Wow, really? That's how I use to feel, I hardly ever ran into someone who asked what church I went to right off the bat. Aw, but since I've lived in Gilbert I feel like such a minority. It must just be here. I was starting to think all of Phoenix was changing over from all the bible belt transplants. lol
When I go over to my place in CA it's so different, it's made me think of leaving Phoenix for good. Maybe I should just find a place in Phoenix again. My poor kid feels like the devil.
I know what you mean, Gilbert might as well be a suburb of Nashville, Atlanta, or some other southern city because it seems like you're an outcast there if you're not an active church member.

Or so I've heard.

But yes Phoenix itself is the fifth most religiously unaffiliated city in the nation so you shouldn't move entirely out of Arizona just because of what you experience in Gilbert. How Religiously Unaffiliated Is Your City?

Old 12-14-2015, 08:57 PM

299 posts, read 440,978 times
I live in Gilbert and I went to college in Northern Cali (Sonoma area). I graduated about a year ago. While Gilbert feels very safe, especially compared to Downtown Phoenix/ parts of Mesa where I take the light-rail (to avoid parking). I feel very out of place here... maybe because I'm 22 and it's mostly families around 30+ with kids. I DEF. get the religious vibe here. There are LDS churches everywhere and my boyfriend (who works in Gilbert, I work in DT Phoenix) has co-workers and they are all religious. His boss is very religious. It's hard to go to brunch here on Sundays because everywhere is PACKED after church :P heh. I have nothing against religious people, I just don't have a religion so it makes me feel a bit awkward.

I go to ASU for graduate school. I would recommend Scottsdale-- it's very high end and safe-- it also has quite a bit more to do than Gilbert. My FAVORITE part of Gilbert though is Agrocopia, the farming community. The coffee shop there is the BEST !!

Agritopia Gilbert Real Estate - 8 Homes For Sale | Zillow

here are some homes around that area let me know if you want to know more about Gilbert, I've been here about a year. It's a cute place, a little boring. I want to eventually get back to California, but Arizona is great

Old 12-15-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
I live in Gilbert and I went to college in Northern Cali (Sonoma area). I graduated about a year ago. While Gilbert feels very safe, especially compared to Downtown Phoenix/ parts of Mesa where I take the light-rail (to avoid parking). I feel very out of place here... maybe because I'm 22 and it's mostly families around 30+ with kids. I DEF. get the religious vibe here. There are LDS churches everywhere and my boyfriend (who works in Gilbert, I work in DT Phoenix) has co-workers and they are all religious. His boss is very religious. It's hard to go to brunch here on Sundays because everywhere is PACKED after church :P heh. I have nothing against religious people, I just don't have a religion so it makes me feel a bit awkward.

I go to ASU for graduate school. I would recommend Scottsdale-- it's very high end and safe-- it also has quite a bit more to do than Gilbert. My FAVORITE part of Gilbert though is Agrocopia, the farming community. The coffee shop there is the BEST !!

Agritopia Gilbert Real Estate - 8 Homes For Sale | Zillow

here are some homes around that area let me know if you want to know more about Gilbert, I've been here about a year. It's a cute place, a little boring. I want to eventually get back to California, but Arizona is great
Gilbert is very conservative this way.

You would fit in much better living in Tempe or central Phoenix near your work and school.

Your boyfriend could still work in Gilbert and do a reverse commute.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:33 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,492,477 times
My family (parents and younger siblings - 11 and 7 years old) has now been living in Gilbert for a little more than a year, and they've liked it so much they went from renting a home to selling their home in California and buying one in Gilbert (whether that works out in the Long run, we'll see). Btw, my family is Latino and strongly Roman Catholic, so they definitely don't blend in with the typical Gilbert resident.

The only person in my family who hasn't enjoyed their experience so much is my 26 year old sister. She moved back in with my parents to go back to school, and she has found her social life incredibly lacking. So, yeah, it isn't for everyone. ..but i think a young family will do well.

Funny enough, what my sister does like is the weather, and as much as it got hot in Arizona, they would actually complain more about the awful humidity we had this summer in California every time they visited, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area