Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 12:56 PM

47 posts, read 54,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
That was why a prior poster suggested you look for short term rentals, by directing you to vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner). Keep in mind that the rates shown are probably per night, and would go down for a monthly rental. Also, they SHOULD decrease for a summer rental. Though I still question how many will accept 3 dogs.
I'm not the OP...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 08:54 PM

109 posts, read 163,801 times
The one thing you will notice about the Phoenix area after driving around is it is really big! Anthem is a pretty hefty haul to scottsdale. I am in the tech industry and have been looking to be close to scottsdale as well and we have settled on Las Sendas in Mesa or Seville in Gilbert. But that was after looking at Scottsdale, Anthem, Glendale, Cave creek, Vistancia ( loved vistancia online, not so much in person based on the location), Buckeye, and Gilbert.

Needless to say we have checked out several masterplanned communties. The challenge is finding one that is not in the middle of no where while still having reasonable prices.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:13 PM

35 posts, read 36,421 times
Just moved here from Michigan- did the resort thing for a month- renting was competitive. We leased in March just exhausted from looking.. Longest relo ever! Lol seriously we just spent last week clearing our house for closing Monday, pulled back in today with our final junk and two vehicles- exhausting drive.

You will love it here! I highly highly highly. suggest renting, the last two months in this leased home has helped me learn what we want and don't want. We "thought" we had a good idea but we honestly didn't. There are soo many more factors that you cannot really imagine with a home in a desert... I canno stress that enough. It's truly a different world and you just can't possibly know coming from Michigan... No matter how hard you try to learn. I was visiting frequently since end of last year.

Pool no pool, fenced off or not, heated or not, patio, "exposure" there are reasons listings state it, doors, screens, or lack of, landscape for the dogs, on and on and on and I'm only outdoor talking! Ceiling heights...

Mine commutes from very far north Scottsdale to Tempe (actually to the airport mostly)

Old 05-03-2015, 10:58 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
OP Listen to your realtor, they have the latest information to work with, know the areas very well and will find something that fits your needs.
Renting is ok for a short time, but if you're in a long term commitment then you may end up losing that nice house that fits your needs. There are several nice master planned developments in the No. Phoenix areas. Your realtor can be your best resource for them. Waiting and the prices will continue to rise as the market is getting hotter and hotter each week.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:24 AM

30 posts, read 24,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfan760 View Post
The one thing you will notice about the Phoenix area after driving around is it is really big! Anthem is a pretty hefty haul to scottsdale. I am in the tech industry and have been looking to be close to scottsdale as well and we have settled on Las Sendas in Mesa or Seville in Gilbert. But that was after looking at Scottsdale, Anthem, Glendale, Cave creek, Vistancia ( loved vistancia online, not so much in person based on the location), Buckeye, and Gilbert.

Needless to say we have checked out several masterplanned communties. The challenge is finding one that is not in the middle of no where while still having reasonable prices.
We were thinking of doing a rush-hour drive from the hotel in Scottsdale to Gilbert when we look at houses next week (OMGOMGOMG NEXT WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!), to give my husband an idea of what he's in for. I have heard negative things about Mesa, but at the same time, have heard that some of their schools are among the top ranked in the state. So confusing! I'll check out Seville.

Do you find the drive from Anthem south to Scottsdale less daunting than from Gilbert north to Scottsdale?

Old 05-04-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2myeyeballz View Post
Just moved here from Michigan- did the resort thing for a month- renting was competitive. We leased in March just exhausted from looking.. Longest relo ever! Lol seriously we just spent last week clearing our house for closing Monday, pulled back in today with our final junk and two vehicles- exhausting drive.

You will love it here! I highly highly highly. suggest renting, the last two months in this leased home has helped me learn what we want and don't want. We "thought" we had a good idea but we honestly didn't. There are soo many more factors that you cannot really imagine with a home in a desert... I canno stress that enough. It's truly a different world and you just can't possibly know coming from Michigan... No matter how hard you try to learn. I was visiting frequently since end of last year.

Pool no pool, fenced off or not, heated or not, patio, "exposure" there are reasons listings state it, doors, screens, or lack of, landscape for the dogs, on and on and on and I'm only outdoor talking! Ceiling heights...

Mine commutes from very far north Scottsdale to Tempe (actually to the airport mostly)
What do you mean by resort thing? I'm thinking about back up plans, if we don't find anything next week. I'm in the mindset that we HAVE to find something! Fingers crossed.

Where are you coming from, in Michigan? My husband will be basically in the same position, with the same company. They have an office in Scottsdale and he's been dreaming of the day that he can leave Michigan winters forever. I know he will love it...And I will too, except the heat (I'm the crazy person that loves Michigan winters). We've never stepped foot in Arizona, so I'm sure it will all be a huge adjustment.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP Listen to your realtor, they have the latest information to work with, know the areas very well and will find something that fits your needs.
Renting is ok for a short time, but if you're in a long term commitment then you may end up losing that nice house that fits your needs. There are several nice master planned developments in the No. Phoenix areas. Your realtor can be your best resource for them. Waiting and the prices will continue to rise as the market is getting hotter and hotter each week.
I'm kind of with you on this one, that's why I'm not keen on the idea of renting. I've done enough research to get a sense of the cities/communities I'd rather be in, though that doesn't account for neighbors, commute, schools, etc. And, I guess, we could always sell the house and buy another in a couple of years. Easier said than done, I know, but it's another option.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:45 AM

If you all could please provide some suggested community names for North Phoenix, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Old 05-04-2015, 09:50 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfan760 View Post

Commute to Bell and the 101 would be pretty miserable from Las Sendas. I did the commute from Brown Dr and the 202 to Braintree for 3 long years, only tolerable because my employer allowed me to shift my hours to (roughly) 9:30-10am arrival, then 7-8pm departure.

Commute to Bell and the 101 from Seville would be insane, IMO.

We liked both Las Send as and Seville, BTW.

Sadly, I agree with the others who strongly recommend renting for awhile. Even more sadly, the three dogs are going to make that nearly impossible.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:16 AM

35 posts, read 36,421 times
Resort just a great hotel but it gets old. Clarkston/ortonville, what about you? I typed more but it's just deleted, my phone doesn't agree with this forum :-/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area