Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 07:57 AM

30 posts, read 24,349 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I posted here once before when it was all a dream, but reality has arrived and we are on the fast track to becoming Arizona residents!

Our home in MI just closed this week and we're moving the whole family to the Phoenix area in mid-June. My husband and I will be out there for a long weekend on May 14th to find and buy a house (we hope).

My husband's office is east off 101 just south of Bell in Scottsdale, and he's willing to travel up to 30-35 miles to work daily (he currently travels 33 miles each way to Detroit daily). And, we're looking for a 4 bedroom home with pool in a neighborhood that has great schools. As of now, I've been told to look in the Chandler area, Glendale, and North Phoenix. However, every time I find a house I want to send my realtor, it goes to pending the next day! She has advised me that I shouldn't really start taking any house seriously until the week we come out there, and to be prepared to put an offer in on a home immediately.

What I want to know is, are there any other locations we're missing? We've never been to Arizona before - so the only knowledge we've gained about the area is through the internet. We'd need to stay under $300k, so please share any neighborhoods you think I might be missing, that would be a good fit for a family.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 08:16 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,652,140 times
I always strongly suggest that one moving to a new, unfamiliar area should rent to begin with until you learn the area. Get to know the whole area before committing on the spur of the moment and finding out in six months that you screwed up.
After living in the area for a few months, you will have an entirety different perspective on where you wish to live.
What's the hurry, you will live in the area for years, spend a few months and make an intelligent decision and you will have no regrets later....

Old 05-01-2015, 09:12 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,185,076 times
If he's working in Scottsdale, why wouldn't you look in Scottsdale? There are some great neighborhoods in the area your husband's office is in.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
If he's working in Scottsdale, why wouldn't you look in Scottsdale? There are some great neighborhoods in the area your husband's office is in.
I would love to look in Scottsdale, but just on a search of the usual real estate sites, I'm having a difficult time finding a home that fits our needs in our price range. It seems that we have to look a good distance out to find a combination of what we want for home/school/work/budget. I might be missing something though...

Old 05-01-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
I always strongly suggest that one moving to a new, unfamiliar area should rent to begin with until you learn the area. Get to know the whole area before committing on the spur of the moment and finding out in six months that you screwed up.
After living in the area for a few months, you will have an entirety different perspective on where you wish to live.
What's the hurry, you will live in the area for years, spend a few months and make an intelligent decision and you will have no regrets later....
We were thinking about renting as an option and, to be honest, if we don't find anything when we go out there in 2 weeks, we're going to have to anyway. However, we'd prefer to buy for a few reasons. Mainly, to keep our twin daughters in the same school/district and not have to bounce around to different schools. Also, we have 3 dogs and, just on the limited search I've done, I'm having a difficult time finding a rental property that will take 3 dogs, plus all of our other needs.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:44 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,529,423 times
You certainly don't have to go as far as Glendale. You might want to look in the Tatum Ranch area of north Phoenix. Chandler is nice, but that is a tough commute. There's no need to drive that far, even though you say he's used to 35 miles. I assume all that wasn't in city traffic.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:46 AM

2,155 posts, read 5,197,111 times
Your agent is correct, the market in your price range is very hot right now. If your intent is to view the home before you offer, then you will just have to come prepared. That means having your "pre-approval" or "proof of funds" with you. Make sure you have your bank information as well.

Other things you may wish to consider include paring down your criteria to bare bones, as an example maybe buy a home without a pool. You can add a pool later. Or perhaps a home that needs updating if you can look past some cosmetic issues you can redecorate to your taste later. (try 85254, 85022 and 85032 zipcodes).

In my opinion based on your husband work location N. Phoenix is logical, maybe even as far as Anthem. But Tramonto, Sonoran Foothills, Dynamite Mountain Ranch even Cave Creek all are possibilities.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Your agent is correct, the market in your price range is very hot right now. If your intent is to view the home before you offer, then you will just have to come prepared. That means having your "pre-approval" or "proof of funds" with you. Make sure you have your bank information as well.

Other things you may wish to consider include paring down your criteria to bare bones, as an example maybe buy a home without a pool. You can add a pool later. Or perhaps a home that needs updating if you can look past some cosmetic issues you can redecorate to your taste later. (try 85254, 85022 and 85032 zipcodes).

In my opinion based on your husband work location N. Phoenix is logical, maybe even as far as Anthem. But Tramonto, Sonoran Foothills, Dynamite Mountain Ranch even Cave Creek all are possibilities.
We have the pre-approval and proof of funds ready to go and we're mentally prepared to make an offer immediately. I'll look into the locations you've suggested. Thanks so much!

Old 05-01-2015, 10:12 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,966,320 times
The Arrowhead and Deer Valley areas are nice as well, the homes there will be cheaper than Scottsdale, plus its an easier commute. Scottsdale to East Valley can be a stressfull commute at times

Old 05-01-2015, 11:06 AM

43 posts, read 48,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarc23 View Post
I would love to look in Scottsdale, but just on a search of the usual real estate sites, I'm having a difficult time finding a home that fits our needs in our price range. It seems that we have to look a good distance out to find a combination of what we want for home/school/work/budget. I might be missing something though...
Check out central Scottsdale...it's more affordable than northern Scottsdale. East of Scottsdale Rd, north of Indian School Rd, and south of Indian Bend Rd. Good schools, nice neighborhoods, and very easy access to the 101 freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area