Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 02:11 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Espo's (if you meant the one in Chandler) is gone.
Quoting myself to correct an error, apparently Espo's has reopened. It was closed for several months due to a landlord dispute, IIRC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 03:27 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,111,121 times
I suggested TeePee due to the close proximity to Chase, thought that was the criteria.
My favorite would be Pepes Taco Villa. I have been eating there for 35 years. Located at 23rd Ave and Camelback.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:12 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,275,729 times
I like Juan's, just west of 16th St on Thomas.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:43 PM

344 posts, read 813,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
If this list represents the best mexican in phoenix, i can easily stop lamenting what we lost when we moved to Raleigh!

The ONLY of these I would voluntarily return to is Barrio Cafe, but I suspect it's not the Mexican food the OP expects. And Espo's, but it's a far cry from it's glory days.

And yes, I've eaten in ALL of these places.

+1. So far this list leaves me pining for Taco Bell. Carlos O'Brien's haha

Unfortunately, the good 'uns are generally under the radar, and hopefully a few of them will surface.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:20 PM

44,642 posts, read 61,669,787 times
Rio Mirage in El Mirage on Grand is excellent. We and our out of town friends eat there regularly. They are consistent in their food quality, have a wide variety to choose from, great margaritas, nice Mexican décor, plus on Friday evenings the Mararachi's entertain you.
Recommending food entities is a matter of semantics, everyone's tastes are different, so what one person likes another may not.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:21 PM

80 posts, read 260,618 times
New to the area, what about Dos Gringos?

Old 05-25-2015, 09:32 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,304,135 times
El Encanto in Carefree. Best ambiance and good food

Old 05-26-2015, 05:38 AM

9,759 posts, read 11,176,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Rio Mirage in El Mirage on Grand is excellent. We and our out of town friends eat there regularly. They are consistent in their food quality, have a wide variety to choose from, great margaritas, nice Mexican décor, plus on Friday evenings the Mararachi's entertain you.
Recommending food entities is a matter of semantics, everyone's tastes are different, so what one person likes another may not.
I'd have to agree with wit-wit. Rio Mirage is my go-to Mexican spot but it has to be the original location. They make fresh flour tortillas right in front of you and they are to die for! I breath in while eating so I can inhale the grill smell on those tortillas. Man oh man are they good! Don't bother with their margaritas as they are average at best.

I tried the original Garcia's and that place was slightly above average. All hype and no flavor but a great atmosphere. I sampled a bunch of items with our large group. B to B- caliber; tops. With all of the Hispanic influence in the Valley, I was hoping for much better Mexican restaurants selection. Not! I've tried about 50 so far and most have come up way short. Some like Rivas Mexican is two letter grades below Taco Bell. I'd give Rivas a letter grade D-. I swear, give me a microwaved frozen Mexican meal over that crap. Arriba's is pretty good but not authentic. The best Mexican food I've ever ate was in Old Town San Diego, and a street restaurant in Mazatlan where our condo bartender took us. My toes separated during my 1st bite. IMHO, no spot in Phoenix has ever approached those two experiences but I have not tried them all. If I could reproduce these flavors in those 2 restaurants, I'd be rich!

A native PHX friend who grew up with the Abril family took us to their original restaurant near Chase field last year. I cannot think of the name.... It's the same sisters that started la-canasta.com | . There enchiladas were to die for and was the best Mexican food I've had in PHX area so far. Now I need to figure out the name. It trumped Rio Mirage. I'll need to check out these other suggestions that were posted. There HAS TO BE a better MX spot to eat that I am missing. I want that grill flavor on the tender meats and authentic sauces. Some salsa are terrible too. If you cannot nail the salsa, how can you expect to get a good meal? Oh. Rio Mirage makes a mean salsa (add some lime and it is prefect).

For steak and shrimp fajitas, try Macayo's (a local chain). Order them with light oil. The steak fajitas are by far THE best fajitas I've had. I've had too many fajitas in my day to count. But it's the only thing I order at Macayo's and it is enough for 2 people to share.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:01 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,871,647 times
I'll agree that Macayo's and Arriba's make good to excellent fajitas. But fajitas are an American invention of Mexican cuisine

Old 05-26-2015, 07:18 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,087,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'll agree that Macayo's and Arriba's make good to excellent fajitas. But fajitas are an American invention of Mexican cuisine
That's OK, so is most of the food sold at virtually all the places mentioned so far in this thread. Tex Mex. Yellow cheese, shredded bag lettuce, ground beef. Taco Bell with better seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area