Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 12:04 PM

296 posts, read 364,770 times

Advertisements

It should be no surprise to me that opinions on Mexican food vary here as much as other things. We are all individuals so we like what we like.

Most of the Mexican food we've had has been in the East Valley. We tend to like places that have really flavor meats and salsas. I like my food spicy so I want some options there that are really spicy. Atmosphere isn't so important to us.

Places we really like:
La Santisima Gourmet Taco Shop - our go to place of out of town guests
Somebrero's Mexican Grill - not to be confused with Sombeburro's
Los Taquitos - note: tacos are small "street" tacos - flavorful meats
Taquitos Jalisco - small shop in Mesa
Santos Lucha Libre - Northern Phoenix - we would come here more often if it was closer
Mariscos Sinaloa - tasty Mexican seafood, can be a bit spendy

Places we would return to:
Barrio Cafe - wonderful atmosphere, food looks great but needs more flavor (Location at Airport not nearly as good)
Los Reyes De La Torta - Tempe, Okay food, sit down restaurant
Blue Adobe Grill - Scottsdale, "New Mexican" food, may rate higher after second trip
Casa Reynoso - food better than average
San Diego Bay Restaurant - Guadalupe, Food pretty good, atmosphere not so great
Julia's Mesquite Mexican Grill - Chandler, would probably stop in more if it was closer
Joyride Tacos - Gilbert, "gourmet" taco shop, great atmosphere and the food looked great but just "so-so" on taste. Not a good "value". Would go again with friends.

Some Chains we think are okay for what they are:
Tortilla Fish
Rubio's
Chipotle

Places we won't return:
Someburros - Not nearly enough flavor in anything
Rivas Mexican Food - in Tempe, might return one more time, but wasn't initially impressed
Macayo's - just not good
Filibertos
Poncho’s Mexican Food - Phoenix, Bill Clinton ate here but we weren't impressed, not worth the trip for us

We are getting wonderfully spoiled though, because some of the places on the "won't return" list are better than average Mexican restaurant in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 01:31 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,304,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenW View Post
It should be no surprise to me that opinions on Mexican food vary here as much as other things. We are all individuals so we like what we like.

Most of the Mexican food we've had has been in the East Valley. We tend to like places that have really flavor meats and salsas. I like my food spicy so I want some options there that are really spicy. Atmosphere isn't so important to us.

Places we really like:
Santos Lucha Libre - Northern Phoenix - we would come here more often if it was closer

Barrio Cafe - wonderful atmosphere, food looks great but needs more flavor (Location at Airport not nearly as good)
Blue Adobe Grill - Scottsdale, "New Mexican" food, may rate higher after second trip
Julia's Mesquite Mexican Grill - Chandler, would probably stop in more if it was closer
Joyride Tacos - Gilbert, "gourmet" taco shop, great atmosphere and the food looked great but just "so-so" on taste. Not a good "value". Would go again with friends.

Tortilla Fish
Rubio's
Chipotle

Places we won't return:
Rivas Mexican Food - in Tempe, might return one more time, but wasn't initially impressed
Macayo's - just not good
Filibertos
Poncho’s Mexican Food - Phoenix, Bill Clinton ate here but we weren't impressed, not worth the trip for us

We are getting wonderfully spoiled though, because some of the places on the "won't return" list are better than average Mexican restaurant in the Midwest.
I tried Filiberto's when I first moved here thinking it MUST be good because there are so many of them. WRONG. I don't get the appeal at all.

I will tell you I am STILL looking for a place that has as food and drinks as good as my favorite local Mexican place in Des Moines, and so far I have come CLOSE in the 18 months I have been here, but not quite Lucky for me I have plenty of places to keep trying!

Has anyone tried Barrio Queen in Glibert/Scottsdale? I've heard good things, but haven't tried yet.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:37 PM

20 posts, read 18,477 times
Best Mexican, by far, is the original Garcia's, 35th Ave/Encanto. It's in the ghetto, but the food is absolutely delicious. Not to be confused with the Garcias chain.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,033,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenW View Post

Places we really like:

Tortilla Fish
Rubio's
Chipotle

Places we won't return:
Macayo's - just not good
Filibertos

I forget where I read it but this saying has always stuck with me. It goes something like this, "if you're looking for decent Mexican food don't look any place where the name ends in 'Bertos".

Old 06-03-2015, 05:26 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,596,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I have not been here, but I hear co-workers rave about this place:

Taquitos Jalisco - Mexican - Mesa, AZ - Yelp

No alcohol, but the food is supposed to be amazing.
I tried at after searching yelp for the best taco shop in Mesa, since moving out here and discovering that Filiberto's carne asada is tastless and aweful.
I happy pulled into the drivethru and asked the cashier how the food was. Her response was, "It's ok, not great." I did at least appreciate the honesty. My verdict. Better than filibertos by a very narrow margin, not worth my time or money to eat there again. How the heck did they get all the great yelp reviews. I just more or less gave up on taco shops out here and devour them when I visit San Diego.

I will say this, if you find yourself off I17 and Camelback Taco Tote is excellent!!! I eat there for lunch whenever I have a job site near by, and it's almost worth the drive out from Mesa when I get a craving on a Saturday. Only not worth it because ADOT closes up to much freeway too often on weekends.
The east valley has decent sit down places but as for that greasy artery clogged crap I grew up on in So-Cal, it's few and far between. Back home you could throw a rock in any direction and randomly hit a taco shop. Some are better than others but they were all pretty good.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:34 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,284,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
I tried at after searching yelp for the best taco shop in Mesa, since moving out here and discovering that Filiberto's carne asada is tastless and aweful.
I happy pulled into the drivethru and asked the cashier how the food was. Her response was, "It's ok, not great." I did at least appreciate the honesty. My verdict. Better than filibertos by a very narrow margin, not worth my time or money to eat there again. How the heck did they get all the great yelp reviews. I just more or less gave up on taco shops out here and devour them when I visit San Diego.

I will say this, if you find yourself off I17 and Camelback Taco Tote is excellent!!! I eat there for lunch whenever I have a job site near by, and it's almost worth the drive out from Mesa when I get a craving on a Saturday. Only not worth it because ADOT closes up to much freeway too often on weekends.
The east valley has decent sit down places but as for that greasy artery clogged crap I grew up on in So-Cal, it's few and far between. Back home you could throw a rock in any direction and randomly hit a taco shop. Some are better than others but they were all pretty good.
Los Favoritos has locations all over the East Valley and a nearly cult following by some customers. I love the carne asada.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:39 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,596,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Los Favoritos has locations all over the East Valley and a nearly cult following by some customers. I love the carne asada.
They have the like arm length super carne burrito! lol. I forgot about that place. I had a location in extreme south Chandler over a year ago. I need to google other locations. They are decent. Up to par for sure if I recall.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:13 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,412 times
Lately I have had a craving for Tex-Mex and Z'Tejas hits the spot.

There are several Z'Tejas locations but the one I tried is in Tempe near Mill and 6th, not bad at all.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:31 AM

129 posts, read 187,329 times
We are new in Sun City. How about inexpensive & good tex-mex in the west valley? Any ideas?

Old 06-04-2015, 12:52 PM

226 posts, read 227,593 times
ANYTHING except Taco Bell, Del Taco and any place with "-erto" at the end. Filibertos, Humbertos, Polibertos, Albertos, Debbiebertos, Tiffanybertos.... even frozen Mexican food at Safeway is better than that.

Personally I like those little "greasy spoon" restaurants along west McDowell and Thomas roads. There are some hidden gems hidden in the 'hood, if you know where to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area