Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 07:06 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,345,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Next you will tell me that salsa and margaritas are not authentic!
Just for your information, the Paloma (not made with flavored soda but actual grapefruit) is the most popular drink in Mexico and 100x better than margaritas.

Next time you're out, see if the place you're at makes them. If not, you can easily make them at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 09:13 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Just for your information, the Paloma (not made with flavored soda but actual grapefruit) is the most popular drink in Mexico and 100x better than margaritas.

Next time you're out, see if the place you're at makes them. If not, you can easily make them at home.
I hate grapefruit, so that's out! I'll stick with my margs or cerveza.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
We get it, Phoenix is embarrassingly short on Des Moines-style Mexican Restaurants.
And places like I have eaten in Illinois, Nevada, New Mexico, California, Missouri, Minnesota, and Nebraska among other states! (oh, and MEXICO)

Last edited by ElleTea; 03-15-2017 at 03:48 PM..

Old 03-15-2017, 06:16 PM

94 posts, read 119,928 times
this thread should be a sticky. This is a nice little hidden gem La Parrilla Suiza - Mexico City Food
Chicken mole is the dish that you use to judge a Mexican restaurant. If it is real it has a wonderful complexity- unfortunately you do not get real mole unless a person cooks it for you, it is not at restaurants. This is pretty close to real mole.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:59 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,974,660 times
Quote:
And places like I have eaten in Illinois, Nevada, New Mexico, California, Missouri, Minnesota, and Nebraska among other states! (oh, and MEXICO)
Yawn who needs this negativity in their life?

Can't you people just be happy?

Old 03-16-2017, 07:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddandano View Post
this thread should be a sticky. This is a nice little hidden gem La Parrilla Suiza - Mexico City Food
Chicken mole is the dish that you use to judge a Mexican restaurant. If it is real it has a wonderful complexity- unfortunately you do not get real mole unless a person cooks it for you, it is not at restaurants. This is pretty close to real mole.
There's got to be some restaurant that serves "house made" mole. I know there's several different versions and all are (supposedly) fantastic if made correctly.

Maybe someone needs to open a restaurant called "Mole" or "Wholly Mole" that concentrates on dishes using the various versions?

Old 03-16-2017, 10:46 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
My wife, who fancies herself a mole connoisseur, asserts that Pepe's Taco Villa has the best mole in town.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:50 AM

I cannot comment on mole as I don't care for it, but I don't like chocolate so that makes sense.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
Quote:
I cannot comment on mole as I don't care for it, but I don't like chocolate so that makes sense.
There are many types of Mole, some don't have chocolate in them.
The 7 Definitive Types Of Oaxacan Mole:
Mole Manchamantel (I've made this one both with and without the pinapple, it's GREAT!

Fresh pineapple, tomatoes, and chorizo make an appearance in this bright red, fruity version of mole. In fact, manchamantel translates to "table cloth stainer" because this sauce does exactly that!

Mole Poblano (Red Mole)

Mole poblano is the most popular variation of mole. This version, associated with the Puebla region, is considered the national dish of Mexico. Ingredients include mulato, ancho, and pasilla chiles along with blended raisins, almonds, or peanuts. The greater use of chiles, dried fruit, and nuts and less reliance on chocolate makes this mole sweeter and spicier than other varieties.

Mole Verde

This mole gets it's flavor and color from extra pumpkin seeds, cilantro, tomatillos, and jalapenos. Fresh herbs stand in place of chocolate, giving the sauce an added brightness that other moles lack.

Mole Chichilo

Rich, homemade beef stock is the backbone behind this sauce, making it perfect for braised dishes. Arbol, guajillo, and ancho chiles take the place of chocolate, while corn flour or masa thickens the mixture.

Mole Amarillo

Mole amarillo lacks chocolate, dried fruit, and other sweeteners which makes it spicier than most. It's also thickened with masa harina or corn flour. The sauce is typically served alongside vegetables, chayote (Mexican squash) or served inside empanadas with shredded chicken.

The 7 Definitive Types Of Oaxacan Mole | Epicurious.com | Epicurious.com

Old 03-16-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
There are many types of Mole, some don't have chocolate in them.
The 7 Definitive Types Of Oaxacan Mole:
Mole Manchamantel (I've made this one both with and without the pinapple, it's GREAT!

Fresh pineapple, tomatoes, and chorizo make an appearance in this bright red, fruity version of mole. In fact, manchamantel translates to "table cloth stainer" because this sauce does exactly that!

Mole Poblano (Red Mole)

Mole poblano is the most popular variation of mole. This version, associated with the Puebla region, is considered the national dish of Mexico. Ingredients include mulato, ancho, and pasilla chiles along with blended raisins, almonds, or peanuts. The greater use of chiles, dried fruit, and nuts and less reliance on chocolate makes this mole sweeter and spicier than other varieties.

Mole Verde

This mole gets it's flavor and color from extra pumpkin seeds, cilantro, tomatillos, and jalapenos. Fresh herbs stand in place of chocolate, giving the sauce an added brightness that other moles lack.

Mole Chichilo

Rich, homemade beef stock is the backbone behind this sauce, making it perfect for braised dishes. Arbol, guajillo, and ancho chiles take the place of chocolate, while corn flour or masa thickens the mixture.

Mole Amarillo

Mole amarillo lacks chocolate, dried fruit, and other sweeteners which makes it spicier than most. It's also thickened with masa harina or corn flour. The sauce is typically served alongside vegetables, chayote (Mexican squash) or served inside empanadas with shredded chicken.

The 7 Definitive Types Of Oaxacan Mole | Epicurious.com | Epicurious.com
A lot of those still sounds quite sweet, which is something I don't care for at all. I also don't care for heavy sauces at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area