Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 10:24 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,165,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Fajitas are OK, but that's something you can get anywhere including chains like chili's. I definitely prefer more authenic Sonoran Style or Baja Style (pictured below from PB Shore Club in SD). IMO Phoenix, Tucson, San Diego and LA have the best Mexican food in the US. The stuff in Texas is garbage to me, New Mexico hatch chilis are good though, I'd like to try a few places in Santa Fe one day.

mmmm Street Tacos...now I am hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 10:30 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
mmmm Street Tacos...now I am hungry.
I'm more of a Sonoran Slop guy myself.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:30 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Just because you had it in Mexico doesn't mean it was Mexican cuisine. There are Chili's restaurants in Mexico, so there goes that argument. Fortunately Detroit has a large Mexican population and I grew up with real Mexican food, but you're right, most Midwesterners probably don't know the difference. People here seem to though, hence the disappointment when searching for items such as fajitas at a Mexican restaurant in AZ.

It's like going to an authentic Chinese restaurant and being disappointed that they don't have sweet and sour chicken.
The Mexican place I went to in Mexico wasn't a Chili's, it was tiny little a local place, I can't even remember the name of it. My old favorite in the midwest was run by Mexican people using their own recipes (aka authentic). I didn't have fajitas there, there were too many other things that were too good to pass up. Veggie fajitas are my go to if there is nothing else that looks edible on the menu as they are hard to mess up. The place in Mesa I mentioned was good as they actually used something beyond plain peppers and onions, so it was actually good. Most places I have tried here are poor excuses for what is being called Tex Mex (I think even Tex Mex experts would cringe at it being called that) with orange cheese from a can and tasteless everything else.

But, I am out of this topic for now. You can have the title of the Mexican Food Authenticator if that is so important to you! You know it all! Impressive!

Old 03-14-2017, 10:36 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
The Mexican place I went to in Mexico wasn't a Chili's, it was tiny little a local place, I can't even remember the name of it. My old favorite in the midwest was run by Mexican people using their own recipes (aka authentic). I didn't have fajitas there, there were too many other things that were too good to pass up. Veggie fajitas are my go to if there is nothing else that looks edible on the menu as they are hard to mess up. The place in Mesa I mentioned was good as they actually used something beyond plain peppers and onions, so it was actually good. Most places I have tried here are poor excuses for what is being called Tex Mex (I think even Tex Mex experts would cringe at it being called that) with orange cheese from a can and tasteless everything else.

But, I am out of this topic for now. You can have the title of the Mexican Food Authenticator if that is so important to you! You know it all! Impressive!
You need to get out more then

In a city of 4 million with close 1/2 being Hispanic, you can't discount "most places" as being bad.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:39 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,291,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I'm more of a Sonoran Slop guy myself.

That's good too but that's like the Thanksgiving Dinner form of Mexican food. In other words it's so heavy you may have to unbutton after finishing it. I try not to get that type of Mexican too often but it is great food.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:

Thanks for the title, although unnecessary. I don't really care what you eat, but it's ridiculous to write off Phoenix Mexican restaurants when what you're looking for isn't even Mexican food.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the title, although unnecessary. I don't really care what you eat, but it's ridiculous to write off Phoenix Mexican restaurants when what you're looking for isn't even Mexican food.
Funny I have never fully explained what I was looking for, just what I have FOUND in over 3 years of trying.

Guess you are a mind reader, too!

Have a nice day

Old 03-14-2017, 10:59 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Funny I have never fully explained what I was looking for, just what I have FOUND in over 3 years of trying.

Guess you are a mind reader, too!

Have a nice day
Yes you did. Cheese dip, margaritas, salsa and fajitas.

Quote:
My place I am looking for here is like El Rodeo in Des Moines, which is much like you described. They also have the amazing cheese dip, house made salsa that is always great, and the margaritas can be ordered by the pitcher (for only $15) and they are always perfect! (actually have alcohol, not too sweet, etc)

The closest I have found so far is Casa Ramos on Main in Mesa. Went there last night and had the best fajitas I have ever had.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:12 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,055,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Fajitas are OK, but that's something you can get anywhere including chains like chili's. I definitely prefer more authenic Sonoran Style or Baja Style (pictured below from PB Shore Club in SD). IMO Phoenix, Tucson, San Diego and LA have the best Mexican food in the US. The stuff in Texas is garbage to me, New Mexico hatch chilis are good though, I'd like to try a few places in Santa Fe one day.

Carolinas Sinaloa,MX cuisine? Any thoughts?

Old 03-14-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Yes you did. Cheese dip, margaritas, salsa and fajitas.
I have never LOOKED for fajitas (as one of my recent posts clearly states) it is just a "go to" if nothing else on the menu looks appealing as it is hard to mess them up. I don't seek them out by any means.

I do like cheese dip, and would like to find an "authentic" place that has queso like the place I had it Mexico, but I have not found it yet. I would settle for a good one that is not Velveeta, but again, that seems to be what places have.

Next you will tell me that salsa and margaritas are not authentic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area