Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2017, 10:10 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,109,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Taco Tuesday at Pepes has been mentioned repeatedly; however, they have no webpage and their facebook page really doesn't have specifics. Can somebody tell me what Taco Tuesday is at Pepes?
Tacos are one dollar, whether you eat on or to go.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 10:52 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
Not in a great part of town, but after 40 years of living in every corner of the Valley my favorite Mexican food is at Pepes Taco Villa. Located at 23rd Ave/Camelback, their Mole is killer. This is real stuff, not gringo food like so many are recommending. Fresh made margaritas, fresh Mexican food and priced very reasonably.
Went and tried this tonight. While not bad, it certainly wasn't out of this world or worth the long trip to get there. Very average food and the beans and rice were soggy and flavorless.

The taco shells looked, felt and tasted like boxed shells. I was expecting fresh fried taco shells.

Also tried the Mole and it was again, just ok.

May be ok if you're in the area but don't drive out of your way to eat here.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:15 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,450,080 times
The Taco Tote is the real deal. The carne asada (spanish for grilled meat) is actually grilled, not pan fried in some back room. You know this place is authentic, they have locations both is USA and México. NE corner of Camelback & 35th Ave.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:57 AM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,109,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Went and tried this tonight. While not bad, it certainly wasn't out of this world or worth the long trip to get there. Very average food and the beans and rice were soggy and flavorless.

The taco shells looked, felt and tasted like boxed shells. I was expecting fresh fried taco shells.

Also tried the Mole and it was again, just ok.

May be ok if you're in the area but don't drive out of your way to eat here.
Man, sorry to hear this. I sure did not mean to lead anybody astray. I have always had a great experience there compared to other Mexican restaurants in the Valley. I started eating there in the late 80s I believe. I have not been in a few months, but Yelp still gives it consistently great reviews. Sorry it wasn't a good one for you.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:22 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times
I always enjoy having lunch at either of these places. Both have the best green chili burritos.

Los Compadres, 4414 N 7th Ave.
Mexican food Phoenix Arizona - Los Compadres

Rito’s Mexican Food
907 N 14th St.
Rito's Mexican Food

And then if you’re into fish, there’s nothing better than San Carlos Seafood.

San Carlos Seafood
1901 E. McDowell Rd.
Pictures & reviews - Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/pXPX85j5ADr

Old 03-19-2017, 12:53 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
Man, sorry to hear this. I sure did not mean to lead anybody astray. I have always had a great experience there compared to other Mexican restaurants in the Valley. I started eating there in the late 80s I believe. I have not been in a few months, but Yelp still gives it consistently great reviews. Sorry it wasn't a good one for you.
No, don't feel that way. I didn't mean you were leading anyone astray, I actually appreciate your recommendation and others.

I was just pointing out my experience. I love trying new places and glad we gave it a try.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,219,662 times
Pepes Taco Villa is near 21st Ave. There's a Filiberto's at 23rd Ave. While I find Filiberto's acceptable it may not belong in the "Best Mexican Food Phoenix" class.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
I was there last night. If we needed to advertise Phoenix for those stuck in white-bread, bland-palate states, I can think of no better site than Los Altos Ranch Market.
We went to the Ranch Market on31st/Grand Friday. Sadly the food has changed since Los Altos took over ( A Hindu owned/run company). The food was lukewarm at best and the flavors seem to be watered down. They got rid of the salsa bar which was one of my favorite things and have added some items I've never seen at any Mexican food place ever before. "Mexican" bread pudding with multicolored sprinkles in it and prunes on top? Really?

Old 03-22-2017, 09:03 PM

296 posts, read 364,230 times
Best tortillas I've found at a grocery in the Valley are from Los Altos Ranch market. We eat primarily Mexican food two months out of the year (a community Taco month and Burrito month) so we've tried quite a few places to buy tortillas in the east valley. Stock up on tortillas, salsas, peppers, and Mexican cheeses and we are good for making tacos or burritos for a while.

In an early post I mentioned Sombrero's on Broadway in Tempe. It has changed over to Mucha Lucha taco shop and is still good. It is an order at the counter place with a salsa bar.

We finally got over to Los Dos Molinos on Central Avenue. It was much better than the yelp score of 3.5 would normally indicate. The salsas were flavorful, chips were good, the red and green chili was very tasty. We ate out in the patio that is definitely showing its age, but had an eclectic charm to it.

TC Tacos opened up in the past couple of years on Southern in central Tempe. It is a sit down order at the table place but not fancy. The meats and salsas are flavorful and the chips are good.

Looking at Yelp we have a lot of Mexican places we still need to go to in this area! Yummmm

Old 03-22-2017, 11:42 PM

770 posts, read 836,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenW View Post
Best tortillas I've found at a grocery in the Valley are from Los Altos Ranch market. We eat primarily Mexican food two months out of the year (a community Taco month and Burrito month) so we've tried quite a few places to buy tortillas in the east valley. Stock up on tortillas, salsas, peppers, and Mexican cheeses and we are good for making tacos or burritos for a while.

In an early post I mentioned Sombrero's on Broadway in Tempe. It has changed over to Mucha Lucha taco shop and is still good. It is an order at the counter place with a salsa bar.

We finally got over to Los Dos Molinos on Central Avenue. It was much better than the yelp score of 3.5 would normally indicate. The salsas were flavorful, chips were good, the red and green chili was very tasty. We ate out in the patio that is definitely showing its age, but had an eclectic charm to it.

TC Tacos opened up in the past couple of years on Southern in central Tempe. It is a sit down order at the table place but not fancy. The meats and salsas are flavorful and the chips are good.

Looking at Yelp we have a lot of Mexican places we still need to go to in this area! Yummmm
That was me I mentioned Mucha Lucha and TCTaco they are both excellent for street tacos. In fact we had Mucha Lucha tonight and I've never been disappointed there ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area