Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 11:26 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,973,982 times

Advertisements

You know what place I had low expectations for but turned out to be pretty decent? La Fonda del Sol in Scottsdale. Its a crappy little joint, but was surprisingly decent! Its on the SE corner of Shea and Scottsdale Rd, close to the Oregano's back there.

Still, nothing beats Carolina's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 11:29 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
You know what place I had low expectations for but turned out to be pretty decent? La Fonda del Sol in Scottsdale. Its a crappy little joint, but was surprisingly decent! Its on the SE corner of Shea and Scottsdale Rd, close to the Oregano's back there.

Still, nothing beats Carolina's.

That La Fonda does have good food. It's been there forever, which is not easy in the restaurant business any more.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:35 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,658,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I have never LOOKED for fajitas (as one of my recent posts clearly states) it is just a "go to" if nothing else on the menu looks appealing as it is hard to mess them up. I don't seek them out by any means.

I do like cheese dip, and would like to find an "authentic" place that has queso like the place I had it Mexico, but I have not found it yet. I would settle for a good one that is not Velveeta, but again, that seems to be what places have.

Next you will tell me that salsa and margaritas are not authentic!
Well you got me, that looks good.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:39 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,676 times
We get it, Phoenix is embarrassingly short on Des Moines-style Mexican Restaurants.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:37 PM

164 posts, read 184,187 times
How are the restaurants at 7th. St, and Osborn? Soup and Enchiladas and the taco place. I grew up with occasional dining out at Ricardo's at 24th. St. and Thomas and Manuel's at 32nd. St. and Indian School. I used to go to La Cucaracha (?) at 7th. St. and Indian School with rowdy high school/ college buds until a cigarette butt poured out of the little salsa/hot sauce decanter when eating chips. Now I know what made the hot sauce so hot.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:41 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,658,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Street View Post
How are the restaurants at 7th. St, and Osborn? Soup and Enchiladas and the taco place. I grew up with occasional dining out at Ricardo's at 24th. St. and Thomas and Manuel's at 32nd. St. and Indian School. I used to go to La Cucaracha (?) at 7th. St. and Indian School with rowdy high school/ college buds until a cigarette butt poured out of the little salsa/hot sauce decanter when eating chips. Now I know what made the hot sauce so hot.
Both are worth checking out.

Taco Guild is good. Not excellent but they have pretty good tacos. The atmosphere is better than the food IMO though.

Gadzook's is great for a fast-casual concept. Think Chipotle but enchiladas instead of burritos; better than Chipotle though.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Both are worth checking out.

Taco Guild is good. Not excellent but they have pretty good tacos. The atmosphere is better than the food IMO though.

Gadzook's is great for a fast-casual concept. Think Chipotle but enchiladas instead of burritos; better than Chipotle though.
I recently had some food from Chipotle for lunch. It had been a long time since I'd had Mexican food. I was disappointed because it wasn't what I expected at all. It didn't resemble Mexican food but some sort of vegetarian fare. I make my own chili and shredded beef filling for tortillas. I no longer do all the sour cream. Guacamole is good and cheese sparingly. I am embarrassed to admit to you that I buy the frozen burros from the Costco freezer case now and then. I find most restaurants to be quite expensive. I can eat much cleaner and economically from my own kitchen.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,037,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Street View Post
I recently had a (Mexican) crew doing a concrete job for me and we were talking about food joints. One of them said that La Cucaracha was the best place to get seafood. Anyone been lately? I don't smoke so I'll leave off the hot sauce thanks...

Old 03-14-2017, 05:11 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,617,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I recently had a (Mexican) crew doing a concrete job for me and we were talking about food joints. One of them said that La Cucaracha was the best place to get seafood. Anyone been lately? I don't smoke so I'll leave off the hot sauce thanks...
La Cucaracha?

Sounds appetizing!

Old 03-14-2017, 06:09 PM

I last ate at Cucaracha about 1967 before I turned 20 and went to Viet Nam. I did a search for the place and found that it closed in the late 1990s.The food was great.

History Adventuring: Mexican Food in Phoenix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area