Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:34 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,422,697 times

Advertisements

La Parilla Suiza Gilbert on Stapley and 60. I get the same thing chicken, bacon, green peppers and onions served on a smoked standing platter. It is from MX City. To die for choice of salsa... as much as you like for free. I get the Pechuga Suiza too but prefer the other dish better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 10:11 AM

19,449 posts, read 27,893,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Taco Tuesday at Pepes has been mentioned repeatedly; however, they have no webpage and their facebook page really doesn't have specifics. Can somebody tell me what Taco Tuesday is at Pepes?
After our visit on Tuesday, I'll supply the answer. The one dollar tacos are Limited to shredded beef or ground beef hard shell tacos ONLY. Not my favorite varieties, but the shredded beef was tasty. Brother thought they tasted like Taco Bell (which from him may be a compliment).

Excellent margaritas and good eats. Great service. The for the recommendation!

Old 03-30-2017, 01:35 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,945,283 times
Cheap and good are in the eye of the beholder..... What you think is cheap others may not..What you think is good or bad others have different opinions..... I say look at the outside of the place and the surrounding area, and if it smells good and if you feel like going in do so and try their food....

Old 03-31-2017, 07:43 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,156,826 times
Has anyone mentioned El Encanto in Carefree? Its worth the drive .

Old 03-31-2017, 09:50 AM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,111,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Cheap and good are in the eye of the beholder..... What you think is cheap others may not..What you think is good or bad others have different opinions..... I say look at the outside of the place and the surrounding area, and if it smells good and if you feel like going in do so and try their food....

Except, some of the tastiest mom and pop Mexican restaurants do not have the nicest looking exteriors. I would never make looking at the outside of the establishment part of my criteria for the best tasting food.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:45 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,973,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
Except, some of the tastiest mom and pop Mexican restaurants do not have the nicest looking exteriors. I would never make looking at the outside of the establishment part of my criteria for the best tasting food.
In fact it's almost a rule of thumb that the best tasting Mexican food will be in a questionable area with a questionable building or exterior.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:01 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,075,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
Has anyone mentioned El Encanto in Carefree? Its worth the drive .
for some of us, part of the "charm" of good, "authentic" (whatever that is) Mexican food is going to a dive in a sketchy area.....

I'd certainly not go to Carefree for Mexican, but might venture up there for, ohhhh, a club sandwich and iced tea??!!

Old 03-31-2017, 04:07 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,459,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
The Mexican place I went to in Mexico wasn't a Chili's, it was tiny little a local place, I can't even remember the name of it. My old favorite in the midwest was run by Mexican people using their own recipes (aka authentic). I didn't have fajitas there, there were too many other things that were too good to pass up. Veggie fajitas are my go to if there is nothing else that looks edible on the menu as they are hard to mess up. The place in Mesa I mentioned was good as they actually used something beyond plain peppers and onions, so it was actually good. Most places I have tried here are poor excuses for what is being called Tex Mex (I think even Tex Mex experts would cringe at it being called that) with orange cheese from a can and tasteless everything else.

But, I am out of this topic for now. You can have the title of the Mexican Food Authenticator if that is so important to you! You know it all! Impressive!

He didn't say it WAS a Chili's; just used it as an example of the Americanization of food (including "Mexican food") IN Mexico. A lot of what we eat here that is described as Mexican food didn't originate there, but has found its way to Mexico from here or elsewhere on this side of the border (like Tex Mex)

Pizza in Italy is, I suspect, a similar story.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:59 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,455,838 times
Probably some of the most **authentic** Mexican food in phx is the Eloteros that ride their big tricycles around Hispanic neighborhoods while honking their bike horns and yelling out "Eloteeeees".

If you've already tried Elotes en Vaso then u already know what I'm talking about...if you haven't, then try it - u can thank me later! :-P

EDIT: Those same guys sell Mango on a stick all sliced up with chile limón and chamoy and that's pretty bomb too!

https://goo.gl/images/lQPMXZ
https://goo.gl/images/IzcAmz
https://goo.gl/images/I2AqkC

Last edited by WSPHXPELON; 03-31-2017 at 07:21 PM..

Old 03-31-2017, 07:51 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,750,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Pizza in Italy is, I suspect, a similar story.
Pizza originated in Naples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area