Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 02:18 PM

226 posts, read 227,701 times

Advertisements

Gonna hit 113 today, and then 115 tomorrow, 114 on Friday.... hotter than a cat on a hot tin roof. Fun, fun times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 02:20 PM

554 posts, read 746,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
We had drinks on a patio last night. It was 108, but we were in the shade and the misters felt nice! For those that don't live here and aren't familiar with misters, they spray a fine mist of water that evaporates when it hits you and cools you. Pretty cool, things that would never work in a humid area!

... Back in TEXAS, we called it "Arizona Air Conditioning" - But, the 1st-time I saw it was at Lake Havasu, when the McCullough Company was trying to sell us their bulldozed-gravel areas as "homesites".
We were all living in the great, gray Nawth-east, and they flew us out there in January or February. It was beautiful, but the only place that had any green to it was the golf course.
One of the salesmen even demonstrated how clean the water was by scooping-up a handful and drinking it. The "lake" was remarkably clean (back then (mid- to late-60s)).

Gotta love that outdoor AC, though...!

Old 06-17-2015, 04:45 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,619,598 times
Quote:
We had drinks on a patio last night. It was 108, but we were in the shade and the misters felt nice! For those that don't live here and aren't familiar with misters, they spray a fine mist of water that evaporates when it hits you and cools you. Pretty cool, things that would never work in a humid area!

Now I want Mexican food and Margaritas.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:48 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,619,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
Gonna hit 113 today, and then 115 tomorrow, 114 on Friday.... hotter than a cat on a hot tin roof. Fun, fun times.
I only use to get annoyed when it got over 112. I remember that was the magic" this bothers" me number. I can only stay out for around 10 minutes without may body getting scared. lol

Old 06-17-2015, 05:03 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Now I want Mexican food and Margaritas.
It's a problem I can relate to, I ALWAYS want Mexican food and margs!

Old 06-18-2015, 01:59 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,879,047 times
98 degrees at 1am. Lovely.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:54 AM

35 posts, read 57,739 times
There is a significant temperature difference in the Phoenix area, depending on what part of the area you live in.

We live just over Reatta Pass (Troon area) in NE Scottsdale, just as you start to head down into the valley toward Rio Verde, on Dynamite.

Our backyard view off the back porch:

Very little pavement out here, just houses on acreage and lots of desert and a somewhat higher elevation than the Phoenix valley floor. This makes a big difference in temps.

When Phoenix reports 115 degrees (which is measured at Sky Harbor in the middle of the concrete & asphalt surfaces) temps on our porch in the shade are around 106 or 107. We find the low hundreds to be comfortable if you're in the shade and don't have to do physical work in the sun. And after the sun goes down and its in the nineties and eighties, but no sun, it feels pretty amazing! I think the heat is enjoyable if you don't have to be working in the sun, you can enjoy the shade and a nice air conditioned house. Feels good to go out in the heat from the cool house.

Some people make such noise about the heat that it amazes me. I shopped at Wal-Mart and Frys in North Scottsdale today, temp was around 107, I think. People were walking around doing their errands, shorts and t-shirts mostly, nobody seemed troubled by the heat. It felt pretty good. I do sympathize, though, with people who have to labor in the sun during summer here. I would not sign up for that duty.

Last edited by DHart; 06-18-2015 at 03:08 AM..

Old 06-18-2015, 12:51 PM

266 posts, read 286,984 times
Quote:
Today also marks the "official" start of monsoon season according to the NWS!
It doesn't REALLY start until July.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:52 PM

Today and tomorrow should be 115, but after these two days of 115+, I don't think it will come back until next year. It could happen, as the 115 range is from June 7 to September 1 in Phoenix.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Fun, baby, FUN!

Yep. Arizona's Official Monsoon Season: June 15 thru Sept 30.
It should be July 1 to September 30. The first day is WAYYYY too early to start worrying about it, especially if you live in the lower deserts. Average rainfall for June is virtually nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: