Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 01:21 PM

119 posts, read 148,116 times

Advertisements

DO IT! I almost moved to AZ for $15 an hour. Leaving my nice comfortable desk job in Hartford making $26 an hr. I ended up getting a job in Vegas instead for $18 an hour and got fired in a month. A week later I got hired for $20 an hour. Yes, they do like to hire and fire here in the West. But I'd never move back out East. They can keep the cold and all that snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 01:27 PM

135 posts, read 166,033 times
I agree with other posters who have said $15 is sufficient if it is just you. You haven't mentioned what your household consists of. Will there be a second income? Perhaps not immediately, but after a significant other also finds work?

Old 07-10-2015, 04:10 PM

44,698 posts, read 61,862,613 times
OP I'd say since you're living in the cold parts of the East Coast then your cost of living I would presume would be much higher than in AZ.
Go for it.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:09 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,996,538 times
I make more than that and struggle monthly, I wont lie. I would say its not worth the move. Utilities, insurance, rent, groceries, gas, etc... youll struggle. Take my advice and stay put. Then again I have a wife and son to support, and youre alone. Might be easier on you.

Last edited by BIG CATS; 07-10-2015 at 05:56 PM..

Old 07-10-2015, 05:22 PM

170 posts, read 223,814 times
one thing to keep in mind you can fly relatively cheaply out of Phoenix on Southwest or Allegiant and see your friends or they can come see you.
If I had it to do over again Id get a job @ a resort in Phoenix and have fun be tan year round..

Old 07-10-2015, 05:37 PM

31 posts, read 64,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Can you get by on $16/mo? Seems a bit low for IT but yes, you can manage if you have no debts (students loans or credit cards).

If you already own a cheap, somewhat older but reliable car you should be fine as insurance isn't that bad. You can find a studio/1 bedroom for as little as $650-700/mo in decent parts of town. Groceries are expensive in AZ, as is the cost of cooling in the summer (I'd recommend doing the levelized payment plan to help keep power bills even). There are gyms you can join for as little as $10/mo to stay in shape even when it's 100+ outside.

If you know where you'd be working I'd find a place as close as possible to reduce your commute time and monthly gas costs. Within 5 miles would be ideal. If you do all this you should have a reasonable amount left over each month to save and also to enjoy life a bit.
I have student loans. I don't know many people my age that don't whom went to college. But if I make this move I will be putting them back into deferment until I'm making more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cadillac_Lawyer View Post
That seems really low for IT, however with most tech jobs, experience is paramount. If you really desire moving here, at least you'll have a job you can count on while you get yourself certified and look for gainful employment.

The Community Colleges here teach Cisco classes for your certifications and you'd most likely qualify for financial aid.
I moved here for a tech job in 12/2006 that paid $21/hr, I eventually went back to school, then on to law school.

Living here with limited contacts has the advantage of allowing you focus on building your life. It's like being away at college. Just make sure you go back/to college. The Desktop level IT field is shrinking, but networking, server admin and Hyper-V environments are the way to go

**ETA** the above figures don't include car insurance, or vehicle registration, which can be pricey depending on what you have. $200/mo. for utilities seems conservative. Internet and cable alone are $100.
It's actually a level of support below what I am qualified for, but it's all that's available right now. So I can accept it and hope for a promotion whilst gaining more experience with new technologies or I can just keep spinning my wheels where I'm at now until I find something else. And while maybe the latter is more rational, I am really anxious for a new beginning and really want to avoid another miserable winter here.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I make more than that and struggle monthly, I wont lie. I would say its not worth the move. Utilities, insurance, rent, groceries, gas, etc... youll struggle. Take my advice and stay put.
How much do you make?

Old 07-10-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw51882 View Post
I agree with other posters who have said $15 is sufficient if it is just you. You haven't mentioned what your household consists of. Will there be a second income? Perhaps not immediately, but after a significant other also finds work?
My fiance is moving here from Manila next year, it won't take her long at all to get her SS card and then she can work. I can most likely get her a job where I'll be working so yes there will be a second income eventually and once that comes into play we'll have plenty of money.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:22 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,496,355 times
Arizona is not that expensive cost of living wise unless you live in the rich parts of Scottsdale, you can make on 16 an hour in Arizona even with student debt not well but you could survive.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:32 PM

121 posts, read 120,903 times
Default Some opportunities only come along once, so grasp it

I wouldn't relocate for any amount of money, unless it was someplace I figured I wanted to be. One makes a move like that and it's totally a change in lifestyle, so why not take the chance and go for it? If going into it with the idea of making it work, it will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area