Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 06:34 PM

2,097 posts, read 3,825,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi View Post
How much do you make?
It's hard to compare what someone else is making as everyones situation will be different. He already said he has a wife and son to support while you're on your own. There are many unexpected expenses with kids and a wife for that matter lol. If you're debt free besides your student loans,live within your means and can find a reasonable place until your fiance gets here you should do well.

I'm on the east coast too and contemplating a move there sooner than later. I do have a house there already that's paid for which helps but I'd be giving up a 6 figure business to maybe make half that in Az. I was trying to wait another 3-4 years but I can't stand the east coast much longer and being happy is more important than any amount of money! Like you, the weathers a huge part of it but also the extremely high cost of living makes it hard even when you're making a good wage here. Every year there's another tax or fee that drains your account even more along with the insane cost of electricity and heating oil. Just make sure you really crunch your numbers and you should be fine. Good luck !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 06:45 PM

892 posts, read 1,509,048 times
Some of these posters really do make me laugh. When I first moved here from Detroit in 2006, I was making $11/hour, and I had friends that made more than me that thought I was rich because they thought I was living better than they did (and no, I wasn't living off of credit cards, I didn't live in the "ghetto", and I had zero debt). Nope, I didn't live in a big fancy house. Nope, didn't eat out all the time, or go to the bar/club. Nope, didn't drive a new car (but did go without a car for a year to save money, so that I could pay cash for a car as opposed to financing one). Nope, didn't have cable TV. Nope, didn't have a fancy new iPhone. Never worried about money, or whether I was going to make rent or pay bills. Everything was always paid before it was due.

Now, I'm not assuming that other people do this, just that it was how I did it. Would I want to live the rest of my life at that level? Heck no, thus I did the things that I needed to do to bump my income, and today I'm making a heck of a lot more than $11/hour. Yes, I realize that $11/hour doesn't go as far today as it did 10 years ago, but it's not as much of a difference as to make $16/hour be effectively less today either.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:51 PM

23 posts, read 39,728 times
Quote:
$16 an hour. Doing something I enjoy in IT. I'm on the east coast. I'm sick of cold weather here, I live in a city where there is nothing so I can't find a job that pays enough to get ahead in life. I lived in FL and wanted to move back there but that's not really coming together. This job in Phoenix is pretty much guaranteed as it's with the company I work for already. But is $16 an hour enough to live there comfortably? What kind of rent could I afford? It's tempting but that is so far to move just to keep struggling. IT's a lot more than what I make now though.
In Phoenix that is a survivable salary for a young, single person. You can afford to rent a condo and buy a new car. If you are in your 20s that's not a bad start.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:38 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,275,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Some of these posters really do make me laugh. When I first moved here from Detroit in 2006, I was making $11/hour, and I had friends that made more than me that thought I was rich because they thought I was living better than they did (and no, I wasn't living off of credit cards, I didn't live in the "ghetto", and I had zero debt). Nope, I didn't live in a big fancy house. Nope, didn't eat out all the time, or go to the bar/club. Nope, didn't drive a new car (but did go without a car for a year to save money, so that I could pay cash for a car as opposed to financing one). Nope, didn't have cable TV. Nope, didn't have a fancy new iPhone. Never worried about money, or whether I was going to make rent or pay bills. Everything was always paid before it was due.

Now, I'm not assuming that other people do this, just that it was how I did it. Would I want to live the rest of my life at that level? Heck no, thus I did the things that I needed to do to bump my income, and today I'm making a heck of a lot more than $11/hour. Yes, I realize that $11/hour doesn't go as far today as it did 10 years ago, but it's not as much of a difference as to make $16/hour be effectively less today either.
So I guess what you are saying is you were able to survive on that income but were not actually comfortable at that level which is what the OP asked.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:16 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,881,294 times
You said you really wanted to move to Florida. So you couldn't find a $16/hr job there since it sounds like that's really where you would like to be? Moving to a place you've never been before is pretty risky for anyone. PHX and the desert lifestyle is something people either love it or hate it...with the water shortage, things are even browner than they usually are. Plus the summers really are brutally hot (even if it is a "dry heat"). The west used to be the place for opportunity but I'm not sure that's so true anymore and Phoenix seems to still be expanding. Not trying to discourage you because I happen to really like PHX (except in the summer which runs from May-Sept) but it will be a culture shock for you. But think of it as an adventure!

Old 07-10-2015, 08:59 PM

31 posts, read 64,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
You said you really wanted to move to Florida. So you couldn't find a $16/hr job there since it sounds like that's really where you would like to be? Moving to a place you've never been before is pretty risky for anyone. PHX and the desert lifestyle is something people either love it or hate it...with the water shortage, things are even browner than they usually are. Plus the summers really are brutally hot (even if it is a "dry heat"). The west used to be the place for opportunity but I'm not sure that's so true anymore and Phoenix seems to still be expanding. Not trying to discourage you because I happen to really like PHX (except in the summer which runs from May-Sept) but it will be a culture shock for you. But think of it as an adventure!
I'm sure eventually I could find a job in FL, but this job in AZ is with the company I already work for which is why it's much easier to get hired for. My qualifications are decent but I'm not some engineer or DBA with 20 years experience that can get hired out of state that easily.

A dude I was working with recently moved to LA after he got offered a job there. He knew acquaintances out there but no one to really lean on and he seems to be doing good. So that's kind of an inspiration for me. He moved out there for the same exact reasons I want to. The job he took pays closer to $25 an hour but he's in LA where rent is much higher.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:04 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,881,294 times
yes, I can totally understand why you would want to stay with the company you are already employed by.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:11 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,267,389 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm really considering it. My biggest fear is not knowing anyone out there. I have a buddy in LA and Denver but as we know those cities are not exactly next door.
Go for it!

People in AZ are very friendly if you are outgoing. Join some activities and Meetup, do some volunteering, and you'll have some friends before you know it - remember many here are transplants!

Winter is amazing and it's sunny most days - I LOVE it!

Old 07-11-2015, 06:02 AM

296 posts, read 366,584 times
Speaking from personal experience, if you live in an area that you love making any financial sacrifices will be much easier. My main concern for you to make sure that you really like this area or well enough to take a gamble. If your gamble doesn't work out then don't hesitate to make a plunge somewhere else. This will all be much easier for you until you have a family and/or buy real estate. There is a wonderful place out there for you and your family to be. Life is too short to be miserable someplace. Sometimes that requires just an attitude adjustment, and other times it requires a change of scenery.

It sounds like you are really unhappy where you are at. My best advice is to really research this area and compare it against the ideal qualities of a place to live for yourself and your future wife. If this area sounds like a place that is well suited for you then take the leap. If it doesn't work out then you will still learn a lot from the experience and be armed with more information to find a place even better suited. No place is perfect, but there is a place out there that is best for you.

Good luck!

Old 07-11-2015, 10:48 AM

119 posts, read 148,388 times
OP have you visited PHX? Please make sure you visit first, especially in the summer. The metro is huge. It took me 3 visits to fall in love and realize Tempe/Scottsdale area was where I wanted to be. But with that said, alot of people prefer Chandler, North PHX or Glendale. So you def gotta check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area