Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 06:28 PM

31 posts, read 64,559 times

Advertisements

$16 an hour. Doing something I enjoy in IT. I'm on the east coast. I'm sick of cold weather here, I live in a city where there is nothing so I can't find a job that pays enough to get ahead in life. I lived in FL and wanted to move back there but that's not really coming together. This job in Phoenix is pretty much guaranteed as it's with the company I work for already. But is $16 an hour enough to live there comfortably? What kind of rent could I afford? It's tempting but that is so far to move just to keep struggling. IT's a lot more than what I make now though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 07:16 PM

659 posts, read 943,050 times
You can live comfortably on $9 an hour (provided that you're by yourself and have NO debts! And only pay for rent in a studio apartment or one bedroom, groceries, car gas, internet, cell phone, and one night out a month).

$9 an hour for two people is pushing it, it's doable but still pushing it (I'm in that situation now lol). So $16 an hour is more than enough wiggle room for someone like yourself. Also, I would caution against moving here for jobs, that IT job might be awesome but this state has a problem with firing people left and right and just hiring illegals to replace you... so you don't really know how long you'll have that job.

I would think the East Coast has a better job market than the South West. If you're looking for warmth, a better option would be Texas.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:39 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,261,956 times
$16/hour is $33k per year. You're not going to live comfortably on that as that is only about $1000 per two week pay period. Sure you can survive and will be doing much better if you don't have debt and live within your means. You're still going to have to watch what you spend and you're not going to be able to do whatever you want.

That said, it's more than a lot of people make and you can certainly survive on that.

Comfortable to me is much more than surviving and having to watch every penny.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:58 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,025,630 times
You won't live like a king but you can make it. I've been living off less since I moved here in '10. Able to eat out, enjoy the weekend and take a few trips.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:22 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,884,027 times
Sounds like an entry level job. A good network administrator or architect can make $90k/yr so just do your best, learn as much as possible and over time things will work out.

Regarding the pay, $16/hr isn't great but it isn't horrible and the Valley is still a relatively cheap place to live. You should be able to live on that income. Make sure you drive a reliable vehicle that gets good gas mileage and is, if possible, paid for.

$16/hr -> roughly $2.1k/month after taxes.
-$750/month for an average, non ghetto 1 br apartment
-$200/month for utilities
-$200/month for gas
-$50/month for cell phone
-$200/month for groceries
-$250/month for entertainment(includes short trips to San Diego and Sedona here and there in addition to going to RedBox on Friday night or meeting friends for drinks).
-200/month for retirement
= $1850/month

That's roughly $250 left over for a rainy day savings fund. Seems doable.

Last edited by HTY483; 07-09-2015 at 10:44 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 10:54 PM

31 posts, read 64,559 times
Thanks for the replies. I'm really considering it. My biggest fear is not knowing anyone out there. I have a buddy in LA and Denver but as we know those cities are not exactly next door. Where I live out east right now the winters are so brutal and as I move into my thirties my joints are really starting to bother me so I really want to settle down somewhere warm.

I'm gathering that Chandler or Glendale are relatively safe, cheap places to live?

Old 07-10-2015, 06:31 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,536,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm really considering it. My biggest fear is not knowing anyone out there. I have a buddy in LA and Denver but as we know those cities are not exactly next door. Where I live out east right now the winters are so brutal and as I move into my thirties my joints are really starting to bother me so I really want to settle down somewhere warm.

I'm gathering that Chandler or Glendale are relatively safe, cheap places to live?
To save money (as well as time and stress) you want to live close to where you work. Chandler or Glendale, which are many miles apart, are good choices if either is close to your work. There are parts of each that you might want to avoid (not bad, just not as good as others), but you need to look at where you will be working and go from there.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:11 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,750,428 times
If it's just you I say yes, you can live off of that. Don't expect to live in a penthouse. It all depends on how you handle your money. Just know that summers are really hot and that's where you will see a jump in your expenses for cooling costs.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:24 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,107,670 times
Can you get by on $16/mo? Seems a bit low for IT but yes, you can manage if you have no debts (students loans or credit cards).

If you already own a cheap, somewhat older but reliable car you should be fine as insurance isn't that bad. You can find a studio/1 bedroom for as little as $650-700/mo in decent parts of town. Groceries are expensive in AZ, as is the cost of cooling in the summer (I'd recommend doing the levelized payment plan to help keep power bills even). There are gyms you can join for as little as $10/mo to stay in shape even when it's 100+ outside.

If you know where you'd be working I'd find a place as close as possible to reduce your commute time and monthly gas costs. Within 5 miles would be ideal. If you do all this you should have a reasonable amount left over each month to save and also to enjoy life a bit.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:14 AM

837 posts, read 2,340,621 times
That seems really low for IT, however with most tech jobs, experience is paramount. If you really desire moving here, at least you'll have a job you can count on while you get yourself certified and look for gainful employment.

The Community Colleges here teach Cisco classes for your certifications and you'd most likely qualify for financial aid.
I moved here for a tech job in 12/2006 that paid $21/hr, I eventually went back to school, then on to law school.

Living here with limited contacts has the advantage of allowing you focus on building your life. It's like being away at college. Just make sure you go back/to college. The Desktop level IT field is shrinking, but networking, server admin and Hyper-V environments are the way to go

**ETA** the above figures don't include car insurance, or vehicle registration, which can be pricey depending on what you have. $200/mo. for utilities seems conservative. Internet and cable alone are $100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area