Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 04:17 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I believe he is referring to the three largest airlines at PHX. Delta is the third largest airline at PHX in terms of market share, after US Airways (soon to be American) and Southwest. United I think is actually fourth..
The converstation was about competition for flights to ORD. It looks like United has a fair number of flights and is competitive price-wise. I have no stake in the discussion, was just curious why United wasn't considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 04:36 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
A $100 Frontier flight will end up being $300 anyways. They are the WORST about their price ads versus what they actually charge. They had a $59 to Vegas sale at the beginning of the year. By the time I was done with all the fees (they charge for both checked and carry on luggage, BTW) the ticket was $250. Even if that does end up being cheaper than other airlines, I refuse to reward that type of business practice with my travel dollars.
Right?! In my personal top three worst airlines, Frontier is #1, followed by Aeroflot and Aerolineas Argentina. The other two are bad because they have the absolute rudest flight attendants and staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I believe he is referring to the three largest airlines at PHX. Delta is the third largest airline at PHX in terms of market share, after US Airways (soon to be American) and Southwest. United I think is actually fourth.

However, I am not sure how American ranks at PHX right now, since they have since added some American-branded flights ever since the merger. After the schedules and reservation systems are merged, American will be #1 at PHX. American was actually fifth at PHX prior to the US Airways merger.
I'm not sure he delved too much into that. If you combine the Express services on United and Delta with the main airlines, they both equally serve about as many non-stop destinations, even if one carries more passengers. It's possible that if Phoenix is lucrative enough, Delta could ramp up its presence here and make Phoenix into a hub or focus city, which would be great if they were to increase competition and keep prices in check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Southwest doesn't really need ORD other than having more transportation connections. They serve 2 nearby airports direct from PHX and within a reasonable distance from ORD. While neither is as convenient as O'Hare for some fliers or destinations, they seem to do well with Midway. There is also MKE, which is a good alternative for the northern suburbs of Chicago (around an hour or even quite a bit less for the state line suburbs), but has virtually no road traffic delays in or out, has cheaper parking, has less air traffic problems, shorter security times, shorter walks, etc. Even given the longer drive time, the rest probably evens out.

Other than that, take American or United and fly direct to ORD.
Oh I couldn't care less if they use O'Hare or Midway: I was responding to his statement. I never go to Chicago aside from plane transfers. Because of that, I've used O'Hare only. SWA seems to be reluctant to enter larger (and probably more expensive) airports when there's a choice amongst multiple spots. I believe they were relatively slow to enter Reagan in DC (they stuck with BWI for a long time), as well as LaGuardia (opting for Islip instead in the NYC market). They have a fairly large presence at LAX, but are more dominant in Burbank, Orange County and Ontario. That's up to the airline and the cities where the airports are located (hence the Wright Amendment in Texas). In Phoenix they don't have much choice regardless of expense, because Mesa can't handle their volume. I think if this city were to try to dismantle Sky Harbor in favor of a larger regional airport serving Phoenix/Tucson, SWA would go kicking and screaming. Then it would be our issue.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:13 PM

498 posts, read 543,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
You do realize US Airways is no more, right? For months now the flights listed as US Airways were also listed as American Airlines. So, in other words, if you looked up a flight someplace you might see 10 flights via US Airways and AA, but there are really only 5 because those were the same flights just duplicated. Does that make sense?

So, you could see American Airlines flight 653 at 12:00 PM and US Airways Flight 653 at 12:00 PM. Take away the US Air flight and you have just one AA listed, but you didn't "lose" a flight, they were one in the same from the beginning.

They aren't really gone, they were just duplicates listed twice for both airlines until AA took over completely.
O'really? lol yes I realize the merger.. The final US Airways flight is Oct 17 out of SFO then the name US Airways goes into the history books. What really annoys me is the flights they had listed in July for the end of Oct were removed this week. They couldn't have figured it out sooner? Fortunately I bought two tickets because the sobs have doubled the price! The only flights they have from here now are the crack of dawn and return after midnight their competition has a 10 am flight a 3 Pm flight and a 7.

Bye Bye US/American.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:21 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
O'really? lol yes I realize the merger.. The final US Airways flight is Oct 17 out of SFO then the name US Airways goes into the history books. What really annoys me is the flights they had listed in July for the end of Oct were removed this week. They couldn't have figured it out sooner? Fortunately I bought two tickets because the sobs have doubled the price! The only flights they have from here now are the crack of dawn and return after midnight their competition has a 10 am flight a 3 Pm flight and a 7.

Bye Bye US/American.
The merger on flights does take place in October. Again they didn't cancel anything, just took away duplicate listings for US airways flights that were American ones all along. It has been in the works for a very long time. They didn't just "figure it out" just now. As for doubling the Price, I find that hard to believe.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
wow that is a big spike.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
The merger on flights does take place in October. Again they didn't cancel anything, just took away duplicate listings for US airways flights that were American ones all along. It has been in the works for a very long time. They didn't just "figure it out" just now. As for doubling the Price, I find that hard to believe.

No they did cancel flights, when they tell me the flight at 3:30 which I already paid for in July is no longer available and you now have to leave at 6:40am...the only flight to Phx.. that is a cancelled flight. Repeat.. the same thing 7times a week. AA never flew from here to PHX before it was all USA.. now It's all AA with half the flight schedule. May be they will figure out how much business they lost next winter.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
No they did cancel flights, when they tell me the flight at 3:30 which I already paid for in July is no longer available and you now have to leave at 6:40am...the only flight to Phx.. that is a cancelled flight. Repeat.. the same thing 7times a week. AA never flew from here to PHX before it was all USA.. now It's all AA with half the flight schedule. May be they will figure out how much business they lost next winter.

Flight cancellations happen all the time, on all airlines. They do so based on business needs. Airlines don't want to fly half empty planes, so they cancel and move around passengers to maximize their trips. October is a long way away, so it can change again. Your flight may be added back to the schedule, that happens, too.

I was flying to Vegas last month and wanted the 7:45 am flight from PHX to LAS. It was there, they cancelled it, and about 2 weeks before I left, it was back. That is why it isn't always a good idea to book out months in advance, because flights can change, and they do. All the time.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:11 AM

939 posts, read 2,381,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The converstation was about competition for flights to ORD. It looks like United has a fair number of flights and is competitive price-wise. I have no stake in the discussion, was just curious why United wasn't considered.
I've flown United from ORD to PHX dozens of times in the last five years. They are usually very competitive and a great option. Fares are often just as good as, or a close match with, SW (which isn't convenient for me out of MDW).

Old 08-14-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Flight cancellations happen all the time, on all airlines. They do so based on business needs. Airlines don't want to fly half empty planes, so they cancel and move around passengers to maximize their trips. October is a long way away, so it can change again. Your flight may be added back to the schedule, that happens, too.

I was flying to Vegas last month and wanted the 7:45 am flight from PHX to LAS. It was there, they cancelled it, and about 2 weeks before I left, it was back. That is why it isn't always a good idea to book out months in advance, because flights can change, and they do. All the time.
Half empty planes? That's my point these flights never had more than 3 or 4 empty seats. I flew them 4 or 5 times every winter for the last 6 years.

Sometimes depending on your job and other obligations you have to book months in advance . Would you book a flight for December two months in advance? If you wait too long you could pay a lot more unless there is a seat sale. I booked in the middle of July for Oct 31. One good thing with US Airways was they always had a good price on those flights and they never had to have a seat sale because they beat the competition. The only time they would raise the price is within the month before departure dates.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Half empty planes? That's my point these flights never had more than 3 or 4 empty seats. I flew them 4 or 5 times every winter for the last 6 years.

Sometimes depending on your job and other obligations you have to book months in advance . Would you book a flight for December two months in advance? If you wait too long you could pay a lot more unless there is a seat sale. I booked in the middle of July for Oct 31. One good thing with US Airways was they always had a good price on those flights and they never had to have a seat sale because they beat the competition. The only time they would raise the price is within the month before departure dates.

I never book flights that far out. I might start watching fares that early, but generally don't pull the trigger yet; some of the best deals are to be found closer to the actual date of travel, within a few weeks many times.

The bottom line is all airlines are for profit. They are going to schedule and fill flights based on what is good for business, not specifically to screw people over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area