Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:57 PM

498 posts, read 543,376 times

Advertisements

Just doubled the price of tickets to Phoenix this winter and cancelled half the flights that US Airways had....lol Hello Non-Union WestJet.

Sure didn't take long to flush that airline down the crapper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 12:16 AM

156 posts, read 420,332 times
Southwest.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:07 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,614,805 times
American DFW/PHX was actually cheaper than Southwest, when I priced today.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:26 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Southwest is NEVER the cheapest when flying out of Raleigh.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:30 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
I commute by air, and although I may have a more flexible schedule, there is no way I would book winter seats right now. My flights are usually purchased 2-4 weeks in advance, but if I hit a big fare drop I'll buy 10 in a row if possible. I usually book through the holidays in mid-October.

Check for 2 weeks every day using the low fare finder thing and see what happens. Capacity is usually decreased on US from non-hub destinations after big holidays or peak travel times (i.e. shortly after Thanksgiving or New Year's Day), plus in other slow times. They have been doing this for a few years. Also, PHX is (or was) a big connection point, and whatever final destinations were being served by your flight, are probably not being served via PHX anymore.

In a million miles, I have never stepped foot on a Southwest jet. FWIW.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:44 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Southwest is a joke. Ill NEVER understand why they get such high praise. Sure, theyre a staple here in PHX, where they oddly garner most of their praise, but SWA outside of Sky Harbor is a nightmare. Plus, when flying back to Chicago, they only go to Midway, which is inconvenient, and a crap airport. I compare them to a Spirit Airlines/Mesa Gateway type thing.

Ive flown AA on 4 occasions, and enjoyed each experience. No delays, nice airfare prices, friendly staff. Theyve really taken huge steps to turn around their image, and its been great!

Old 08-13-2015, 09:50 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
I will also vouch for AA's customer experience. When my father passed away I needed to get a quick ticket back east. They were very kind, compassionate and accommodating in helping me during that time in life. The flights were nice and the staff was great. I was truly impressed. Sorry to hear they slashed flights to Phoenix.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:00 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
Just doubled the price of tickets to Phoenix this winter and cancelled half the flights that US Airways had....lol Hello Non-Union WestJet.

Sure didn't take long to flush that airline down the crapper.

You do realize US Airways is no more, right? For months now the flights listed as US Airways were also listed as American Airlines. So, in other words, if you looked up a flight someplace you might see 10 flights via US Airways and AA, but there are really only 5 because those were the same flights just duplicated. Does that make sense?

So, you could see American Airlines flight 653 at 12:00 PM and US Airways Flight 653 at 12:00 PM. Take away the US Air flight and you have just one AA listed, but you didn't "lose" a flight, they were one in the same from the beginning.

They aren't really gone, they were just duplicates listed twice for both airlines until AA took over completely.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:12 AM

488 posts, read 857,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Southwest is a joke. Ill NEVER understand why they get such high praise. Sure, theyre a staple here in PHX, where they oddly garner most of their praise, but SWA outside of Sky Harbor is a nightmare. Plus, when flying back to Chicago, they only go to Midway, which is inconvenient, and a crap airport. I compare them to a Spirit Airlines/Mesa Gateway type thing.

Ive flown AA on 4 occasions, and enjoyed each experience. No delays, nice airfare prices, friendly staff. Theyve really taken huge steps to turn around their image, and its been great!
Southwest is always my first choice. They may not appear to be cheaper upfront, but at least they're honest about their prices. All the other airlines advertise prices, then tack on a bunch of extra fees making it not at all what they advertised. There is no guessing with Southwest. What you see is what you pay. Period.

Not to mention, they have the best on time record. I've almost never been significantly delayed by them.

Southwest has earned their high praise from my viewpoint.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:13 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post

I'm not a big fan of Southwest either, not being fond of festival seating, but the comparison to Spirit is way off base. One big advantage of Southwest is the "bags fly free" policy. Spirit is its polar opposite, not only charging for checked bags but also charging for carry-ons. I personally couldn't care less which Chicago airport an airline services as I have no reason to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area