Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 08:10 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,977,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Let's keep this geared toward Phoenix weather, please.
Speaking of which... Ive had enough of this bloody rain, overcast skies, and damp, cold air. I have an absolute lake off of our back patio, and we even had hail yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 09:37 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,620,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Especially when one considers that the probability of any weather related disaster is small. Relatively few people have losses to tornadoes or flooding or winds in a given year. But the risk of extended exposure to excessive heat in the Phoenix area is 100%. It's going to happen and it is going to begin to happen in only a few weeks from now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Speaking of which... Ive had enough of this bloody rain, overcast skies, and damp, cold air. I have an absolute lake off of our back patio, and we even had hail yesterday.
Personally, no complaints here. I'm okay that Arizona has this balance of both heat and cold, extreme or otherwise.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:42 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,369,809 times
I'm with Colt, I continue to love that we are "having a winter" this year after last year, where it felt like winter for about one week. 2013-2014 was just a very warm winter by Arizona standards and it's nice to have one that's on the chilly side by our standards to balance things out. Makes it much easier to take the heat once it hits us.

The power of positive thinking...if you hate the cold and rain, just think how much more you will enjoy it when it is hot and sunny again!

Old 01-08-2016, 09:56 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,974,660 times
I dislike being cold, but I grow tired around September of every year when the heat has just been unrelenting for months day and night. I welcome this cold and rain, variety is great sometimes. I'm sure this season has been frustrating for snowbirds, but it happens and we should be grateful for this extra moisture, we need it badly.

One major perk of the Summer? Watersports and less people

Old 01-08-2016, 11:24 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,620,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I dislike being cold, but I grow tired around September of every year when the heat has just been unrelenting for months day and night. I welcome this cold and rain, variety is great sometimes. I'm sure this season has been frustrating for snowbirds, but it happens and we should be grateful for this extra moisture, we need it badly.

One major perk of the Summer? Watersports and less people
It's difficult to believe that snowbirds can be all that down in the dumps over anything Arizona! Totally in agreement that summers in the desert are terrifico when the 'birds aren't all over these roads, restaurants & stores in general!

Other'n that, I'll certainly sing their praises, and pat their white, little Q-tipped heads... as they loosen up and unload their purses & wallets here in the Arid Zone!

Old 01-08-2016, 11:49 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,161,935 times
Quote:
Especially when one considers that the probability of any weather related disaster is small. Relatively few people have losses to tornadoes or flooding or winds in a given year. But the risk of extended exposure to excessive heat in the Phoenix area is 100%. It's going to happen and it is going to begin to happen in only a few weeks from now.
Very very depressing but true.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:03 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I'm with Colt, I continue to love that we are "having a winter" this year after last year, where it felt like winter for about one week. 2013-2014 was just a very warm winter by Arizona standards and it's nice to have one that's on the chilly side by our standards to balance things out. Makes it much easier to take the heat once it hits us.

The power of positive thinking...if you hate the cold and rain, just think how much more you will enjoy it when it is hot and sunny again!
Yep, I completely agree. The rain and cool temperatures this last week were more than welcome, and I hope we continue to have more of the same throughout the rest of the winter & early spring. It's perfectly normal to have rainy spells this time of year (regardless if there's an El Niño present). Some of us are sick of all the bloody sun day after day, and embrace the moisture. We all know that CA & AZ definitely need the precipitation. Still, there are those who thrive on complaining about the weather, and aren't happy unless it's sunny & warm 365 days of the year ... or 366 days this year!

Old 01-09-2016, 08:26 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
If you read the heat threads, one of the common complaints is the heat is never ending. They claim the summer seems to go on forever. I never used to understand or empathize with that comment until I moved to South Florida. In Miami, it never gets cool. I never thought I would envision myself empathizing with all those whiners each summer who b$#$3 about our heat and exaggerate it. But after living in South Florida, I get it. I don't know if I could live in Phoenix if WE DIDN'T have some winter weather. It truly resets things you know and it makes the summer heat more tolerable in a sense. In Florida, you just get tired of warm humidity 12 months out of the year. I run the air conditioner every single night. The humidity means you have to run your A/C daily otherwise you can't sleep at night because it feels sticky and you don't feel that sensation of being cool. I love warm weather but I missed living in Phoenix because after you experienced a hot summer, you had a relative cool down in the winter.

What is nice about the Phoenix winters is that even during a cooler than normal winter, you don't receive the truly devastating winter weather that other places get. You don't have wind, snow or ice. Schools, airports and freeways are not closing. You don't have to buy a snow blower or hire a snow shoveling service. You don't have to drive behind a snow plow on the way to work. You don't have to go outside in a cold driveway or garage and start your car 10 minutes early just so it warms up. You don't to winterize your vehicle. You don't have to apply heating blocks. I don't have to weary heavy coats, hats, gloves and scarves or dress my children in it. The cooler weather is simply a drop in temperature with no real ramification to your lifestyle. And usually, it's just the mornings and evenings that are cold. It gets pretty warm in the day. I wore shorts today in the afternoon because it was beautiful outside. Finally, I love the rain we are getting. It fills reservoirs and create a fun ski season up north.

Atlanta boy loves to take a cheap shot at Phoenix by showing "lower than normal temperatures" but we never get the type of devastating winter Atlanta and the rest of the east coast got as recent as 2014.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-09-2016 at 08:35 PM..

Old 01-10-2016, 06:46 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Yep, I completely agree. The rain and cool temperatures this last week were more than welcome, and I hope we continue to have more of the same throughout the rest of the winter & early spring. It's perfectly normal to have rainy spells this time of year (regardless if there's an El Niño present). Some of us are sick of all the bloody sun day after day, and embrace the moisture. We all know that CA & AZ definitely need the precipitation. Still, there are those who thrive on complaining about the weather, and aren't happy unless it's sunny & warm 365 days of the year ... or 366 days this year!
In spite of all the El Niño hoopla in the media, this has, so far, been an average or below winter for precip. There was nothing terribly unusual in last week's weather as you suggest, and there is very little on the extended horizon to suggest that El Niño is having much of an effect as of yet.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:54 AM

9,805 posts, read 11,200,038 times
Quote:
In spite of all the El Niño hoopla in the media, this has, so far, been an average or below winter for precip. There was nothing terribly unusual in last week's weather as you suggest, and there is very little on the extended horizon to suggest that El Niño is having much of an effect as of yet.
I read his words to say what you just said: there was nothing unusual in last week's weather (cold and rain). Even with "El Niño".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area