Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2016, 07:27 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Deserts don't have to be hot just dry.
Uh huh.

I was speaking specifically about THIS desert in which we live. This is the Phoenix board, after all. People that complain that it's too hot here really should find someplace else to call home.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:08 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Uh huh.

I was speaking specifically about THIS desert in which we live. This is the Phoenix board, after all. People that complain that it's too hot here really should find someplace else to call home.
The Sonoran Desert is vast and varies widely in Altitude. It is actually cold in areas of this desert as well. In short THIS desert is no exception and is actually quite cold in some areas. Look at a map of how large this desert actually is.

Assuming of course that it's the weather that matters to them exclusively right?

It's hot here, it always has been. It gets cold here sometimes it always has. People can conplain about whatever they please. But there is more to life than weather, contrary to what some people seem to think. there are few places warmer than here so people complaint about the cold are really complaining about nice light jacket weather and sunshine. People complaining about the heat are complaining about life threatening temperatures.

But of course we can all just move on singular issues right? Some think that if you disagree politically you should up and leave. Now if we think it gets too hot here (and it does) and we complain about it we should leave? Nice logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The Sonoran Desert is vast and varies widely in Altitude. It is actually cold in areas of this desert as well. In short THIS desert is no exception and is actually quite cold in some areas. Look at a map of how large this desert actually is.

Assuming of course that it's the weather that matters to them exclusively right?

It's hot here, it always has been. It gets cold here sometimes it always has. People can conplain about whatever they please. But there is more to life than weather, contrary to what some people seem to think. there are few places warmer than here so people complaint about the cold are really complaining about nice light jacket weather and sunshine. People complaining about the heat are complaining about life threatening temperatures.

But of course we can all just move on singular issues right? Some think that if you disagree politically you should up and leave. Now if we think it gets too hot here (and it does) and we complain about it we should leave? Nice logic.
Uh huh

I was speaking of this pinpoint in the Sonoran desert which pertains specifically to Phoenix... The forum on which this thread resides.

If something like the heat here in this specific part of this specific desert makes one so miserable that they complain endlessly about how miserable they are...my best advice is to find someplace else to live that makes them happy. Same could be said for any singular issue that causes someone such grief. If you aren't happy, do something about it. My logic is just fine.

Have a nice day!

Old 01-03-2016, 04:57 PM

812 posts, read 797,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Be careful, you're making an awful lot of sense, which is generally not what these threads are about.

I suppose objectively speaking I'd be more comfortable on a 70-degree day than a 45-degree day, but weather is an area of interest of mine and I enjoy tracking the weather. So I do look forward to extreme or unusual weather or any sort ... be it a very cold winter day or record-breaking heat in the summer.

I find that this mentality / interest in the unusual helps make "uncomfortable" weather more palatable.

Besides, we're all here, safe, and able to walk outside and be warm, or cold, or whatever. In many parts of the country recently / currently, extreme weather has led to loss of life, injury, impossible or difficult travel and all sorts of hardships. So if nothing else let's at least acknowledge that our degree of discomfort here with this cool weather is not really that extreme or unusual compared to the various winter disasters that seem to pop up around the country each winter, but rarely here. This is a pretty safe place to live, weather wise.
You make a lot of sense too and I quite agree!

Old 01-04-2016, 02:11 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,837,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Nope I make too much. Agree to disagree all you want, I watch grown men pass out each year. Trust me when I say you wouldn't like it. After a days work you feel dizzy regardless how much water or Gatorade you drink. The extreme heat is no joke.
I've passed out on multiple occasions from working outside in the heat... I had to threaten my old job with a lawsuit when they tried to limit us to one 12 fl oz bottle every two hours and would refuse to give us any more water than that.... After that I would not deal with any of that nonsense! Especially when it's 110+ out! I would get off at five and take a 50 degree shower and not even that felt like it could cool me down.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:36 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,370,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I'd love to. Unfortunately my job keeps me indoors.

If working out in the heat bothers you, maybe you need a new job?
I feel that this is dissembling. The human body is not well built to work outdoors in the Arizona summer heat. It is not something to be taken lightly; tough individuals used to extreme conditions nonetheless get sick or even die working in our extreme summer conditions.

Also, if I recall, you use air conditioning in your home in the summer. If you were as in love with the heat as you claim, you wouldn't even turn on your air conditioning and you'd bask in the 95-degree interior temperature all summer long.

I guess you can go ahead and tell us that you don't like to be searing hot all the time, just when you go outside. Okay then.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:34 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I feel that this is dissembling. The human body is not well built to work outdoors in the Arizona summer heat. It is not something to be taken lightly; tough individuals used to extreme conditions nonetheless get sick or even die working in our extreme summer conditions.

Also, if I recall, you use air conditioning in your home in the summer. If you were as in love with the heat as you claim, you wouldn't even turn on your air conditioning and you'd bask in the 95-degree interior temperature all summer long.

I guess you can go ahead and tell us that you don't like to be searing hot all the time, just when you go outside. Okay then.
Oh come on. When is the last time you read of a house framer or a tree trimmer or an ac guy dying of heat stroke? It's not workers who die in the summer heat here, but homeless people with drug and alcohol problems and tourists from more temperate places who are not prepared for or acclimated to exertion in the heat. The human body is evolved and highly suited for arid environments. We cool by perspiration and evaporation. It's ideal for both.

I worked while in college during the summer framing houses in Tucson. Never passed out, never had a problem. Neither did anyone on the crew. With a period of acclimation and plenty of water it's not fun, but it's tolerable. I could not imagine doing the same work in a humid climate even with temps 20 or more degrees less. That would be torture for the human body.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:48 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,979,471 times
Well, at least the temps were up this morning! It was the warmest its been in weeks this morning. Problem is, this morning is only about 3-5 degrees cooler than our HIGH temp today. Looks like lots of rain this week, all week. As long as our place doesnt get flooded out, Ill welcome the rain.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:17 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,370,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Oh come on. When is the last time you read of a house framer or a tree trimmer or an ac guy dying of heat stroke? It's not workers who die in the summer heat here, but homeless people with drug and alcohol problems and tourists from more temperate places who are not prepared for or acclimated to exertion in the heat. The human body is evolved and highly suited for arid environments. We cool by perspiration and evaporation. It's ideal for both.

I worked while in college during the summer framing houses in Tucson. Never passed out, never had a problem. Neither did anyone on the crew. With a period of acclimation and plenty of water it's not fun, but it's tolerable. I could not imagine doing the same work in a humid climate even with temps 20 or more degrees less. That would be torture for the human body.
A young, healthy male surviving a summer does not equal "this is a safe and healthy environment for everyone who isn't drunk, high, without a fixed address, or from another state." The heat can be dangerous if people are ill-prepared or over-exert themselves, or if they are out in it for many hours/days without any chance to ever cool down (e.g., the homeless). Obviously, people who work in the heat regularly learn how to handle it better than people who deal with it infrequently for long stretches of time, but it is still a danger to everyone if they do not take precautions.

Maybe I am applying more of a worst-case-scenario / be-prepared mentality, but I think sometimes the convenience of modern, urban living makes it easy to forget just how harsh nature here can be.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Well, at least the temps were up this morning! It was the warmest its been in weeks this morning. Problem is, this morning is only about 3-5 degrees cooler than our HIGH temp today. Looks like lots of rain this week, all week. As long as our place doesnt get flooded out, Ill welcome the rain.

I woke up with a migraine, so I know the weather is changing! When a big rain event moves in it affects me like this.

The rain is going to keep overnight temps up, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area