Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 10:00 AM

988 posts, read 682,771 times

Advertisements

I like this weather.

I'ved lived where I had to shovel every day, and many years ago in New Hampshire I saw 38 below zero. School was called off because the buses wouldn't start. I lived for three years in Flagstaff and found the climate mild in winter, mainly because most often after a big snowfall you got a few sunny days that melted the snow, which is the opposite pattern of a lot of places.

This Phoenix cold snap is duck soup! It's like those bluebird late fall days you get in the Northeast, which are few and far between, and you always want another one. I plan on enjoying every last minute of this intolerable freeze! It will soon be hotter than we'd all like. Best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 10:08 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
I like this weather.

I'ved lived where I had to shovel every day, and many years ago in New Hampshire I saw 38 below zero. School was called off because the buses wouldn't start. I lived for three years in Flagstaff and found the climate mild in winter, mainly because most often after a big snowfall you got a few sunny days that melted the snow, which is the opposite pattern of a lot of places.

This Phoenix cold snap is duck soup! It's like those bluebird late fall days you get in the Northeast, which are few and far between, and you always want another one. I plan on enjoying every last minute of this intolerable freeze! It will soon be hotter than we'd all like. Best.
I lived for 40 years in a place where I had to shovel as well. I have also endured temps of well below zero, and wind chills near 50 below on occasion. School would be closed because it was just too dangerous to be out in that cold. Yes, that is worse than this. It matters not. This is too cold for me as well, period.

I cannot wait for the heat of the summer to return. Unlike the winters that I know realize I find too cold, I have yet to find the summers too hot.

It also doesn't help that my office chooses to run the AC even on days like today where it isn't even 40 outside. I can't feel my fingers.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:10 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Went hiking this weekend wearing a tank top and was fine in the sun.

Thats odd. I didnt hike this weekend because I thought it was too cold. And FAR too windy. It wouldve been miserable. As it was, I did some shopping on Saturday and it was miserable enough walking around in that wind. It was hitting so hard I had to turn around a few times with my back to the wind just to catch my breath.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:11 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,037 times
I'm going to enjoy it while I can before we slide into another sizzling summer.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:16 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
Yes, it is a little cooler here this year. We live in a desert. Deserts get cold at night and during the winter. At times is snows in the "Valley of the Sun"...albeit very lightly, is normally in the "higher elevations" of the valley (Scottsdale/Cave Creek/Carefree) and it is gone in a few hours. Yes, El Nino is playing its' part this year. Remember last year when the North East was digging out of tons of snow? We were un-seasonably warm. I don't think this can be attributed to "climate change" or "Global Warming" per se...although if we start seeing stronger swings between El Nino and La Nina on a constant basis...there may be something there. Typically we get one or two freeze warnings. This year my hibiscus has had coverings on them at least 5 nights so far. I am HOPING we get some rain out of this come January/February and into the spring.

Normally...a bit cooler winter can bring us a milder summer so there is that to look forward to. Enjoy the coolness while it lasts...it should be gone soon.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:17 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Move to the Keys. I think our first winter here had temps drop down in the teens and all our newly planted plants in our new home froze costing a couple thousand dollars to replace trees and shrubs. Just happens. All we seem to discuss is our high heat in the summer, but the desert can and will get very nippy now and then. some winters are very warm and balmy.....that happens as well.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:18 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
It also doesn't help that my office chooses to run the AC even on days like today where it isn't even 40 outside. I can't feel my fingers.
Yours too? I know this is off topic but WTH is up with the HVAC running the A/C and the Heater at the same time?

Old 12-28-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Thats odd. I didnt hike this weekend because I thought it was too cold. And FAR too windy. It wouldve been miserable. As it was, I did some shopping on Saturday and it was miserable enough walking around in that wind. It was hitting so hard I had to turn around a few times with my back to the wind just to catch my breath.

Saturday was COLD. We didn't go Saturday. That wind was freezing.

We went Friday and Sunday afternoon. Calm wind and walking the sun felt warm enough for me to shed my hoodie and walk in my tank top. Once I stopped moving, it got chilly. But when I was hiking (actually moving) the sun felt good.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:26 AM

127 posts, read 171,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
I like this weather.

As a prospective transplant, this all seems right on. Last winter in upstate New York, I stepped outside to walk to my corner coffee shop just after dawn without checking the temperature. I knew it was cold, but I didn't realize it was 0 degrees. I inhaled deeply and nearly fell over. We had a high of 8 that day.

I might be surprised how hard it hits me after relocating and adapting to a 100+ summer, but seeing people complain about these temps is an amazing spectacle and really illustrates the difference. Most of the highs I've seen in the Phoenix area are what I consider t-shirt conditions. Some of our northeastern neighbors were talking about having a Christmas cookout. We'd love to be able to afford to view an overnight low in the high 20s as an injustice.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-A View Post
As a prospective transplant, this all seems right on. Last winter in upstate New York, I stepped outside to walk to my corner coffee shop just after dawn without checking the temperature. I knew it was cold, but I didn't realize it was 0 degrees. I inhaled deeply and nearly fell over. We had a high of 8 that day.

I might be surprised how hard it hits me after relocating and adapting to a 100+ summer, but seeing people complain about these temps is an amazing spectacle and really illustrates the difference. Most of the highs I've seen in the Phoenix area are what I consider t-shirt conditions. Some of our northeastern neighbors were talking about having a Christmas cookout. We'd love to be able to afford to complain about the horror of having to drive in a coat.

I am fairly recent transplant from the midwest. I understand that is isn't as cold here as other places. I still can afford to complain. I don't care if "it could be worse, I could be in ______ (insert colder place here)." I am cold HERE. That's all that matters.

I am not alone. A nearby coworker is always complaining about the cold as well. She's from Ohio.

I almost moved to south Florida when I was making my move here. Now I know I chose wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area