Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:40 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times

Advertisements

It's comical because some love to complain no matter what. They complain when it's hot and they complain when it's cold.

It also proves the truth is in the middle. The heat isn't as bad as people make it out to be in the summer. Likewise, it's not as warm in the winter either. The dry effect works both ways. It makes the summers not as hot feeling but it makes the winters feel cooler than it is. For example, in S. Florida it could reach upper 40's in the mornings during some winter days but it would feel relatively warm because of the high humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 11:01 AM

699 posts, read 612,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
For example, in S. Florida it could reach upper 40's in the mornings during some winter days but it would feel relatively warm because of the high humidity.
: smack:

It would FEEL FREEEZING if we saw upper 40s.

Right now the coldest it has been in the morning (the coldest part of the day) is 60F this entire winter. And those mornings feel cold, let alone upper 40s (which we don't see every year).

Old 01-07-2016, 11:06 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,707,631 times
Default Col weather here..

Quote:
No, the East Coast hasn't had better winter. You forget the snow, ice and wind that accompanies the East Coast winter that you lack here.
They would however be correct if they'd made a minor adjustment & written "better winter weather than normal" because up and down the eastern seaboard & on inland from there, that has been the case.
High temperature records have fallen right & left with 60's recorded in Boston & New York. Here in Atlanta, we had one of the 2 warmest Decembers I've ever experienced in my 35 years of living in the city.
In other words, it's been above average in the east & much of the midwest.
By contrast, it cannot be said that it's been "above average" for so far this winter in Phoenix.
Over the weekend in a phone conversation my stepmother in Phoenix confirmed what I've noticed on weather maps, in forecasts & here on CD & complained at length about the cold there.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:06 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:
It's comical because some love to complain no matter what. They complain when it's hot and they complain when it's cold.

It also proves the truth is in the middle. The heat isn't as bad as people make it out to be in the summer. Likewise, it's not as warm in the winter either. The dry effect works both ways. It makes the summers not as hot feeling but it makes the winters feel cooler than it is. For example, in S. Florida it could reach upper 40's in the mornings during some winter days but it would feel relatively warm because of the high humidity.
The cold weather is beautiful but the heat REALLY is that bad.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
: smack:

It would FEEL FREEEZING if we saw upper 40s.

Right now the coldest it has been in the morning (the coldest part of the day) is 60F this entire winter. And those mornings feel cold, let alone upper 40s (which we don't see every year).
Ft. Lauderdale last year got to upper 40's some mornings. It was not freezing. You guys have no tolerance for any form of cold weather LOL. I remember you guys think 60 is cold and it's not cold in the slightest. In fact, upper 70's and low 80's in Miami can feel hot. 90 degrees in South Florida feels like 105 in Phoenix. There was no difference in terms of the heat index and feel due to the humidity. But the opposite is also true, 60 degrees in Miami is much warmer than 60 degrees in Phoenix because of the humidity.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
They would however be correct if they'd made a minor adjustment & written "better winter weather than normal" because up and down the eastern seaboard & on inland from there, that has been the case.
High temperature records have fallen right & left with 60's recorded in Boston & New York. Here in Atlanta, we had one of the 2 warmest Decembers I've ever experienced in my 35 years of living in the city.
In other words, it's been above average in the east & much of the midwest.
By contrast, it cannot be said that it's been "above average" for so far this winter in Phoenix.
Over the weekend in a phone conversation my stepmother in Phoenix confirmed what I've noticed on weather maps, in forecasts & here on CD & complained at length about the cold there.
That's not saying anything because Below average for Phoenix is still better than what is typical on the east coast. We don't have the other elements like the wind, ice and snow. The windchill alone makes your winters worse regardless of the actual temperature. Throughout this "terrible" winter in Phoenix, it has not snowed once. There has not been ice on the roads. I've not had to salt my driveway. I've not had to wear gloves, a hat or scarf to work and none of my children have either. Sorry but you guys are still doing that in the East regardless if its less often. Here, we haven't done that once.

But let's remind everyone what is below average winter weather for Atlanta. Is our winter looking like this? I don't think so!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klO7nDtlWZk

People sleeping in the grocery store because roads are shut down....yes this is in Atlanta, GA in 2014!

Freeways closed due to multiple car pile-ups in Atlanta 2014

Children being forced to spend the night at their schools because of the winter weather

So before some of you complain about our summers, check out the above and be glad our winters don't do this!

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-07-2016 at 03:00 PM..

Old 01-07-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Or Hawai'i!
Except you are conveniently forgetting that they have hurricaines in South Florida.

[IMG]http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/652*368/flood26.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-07-2016, 03:24 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Let's keep this geared toward Phoenix weather, please.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:32 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Bad weather in other places doesn't make our summer heat any less bearable. I would take the cold over extreme heat anyday.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:41 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Bad weather in other places doesn't make our summer heat any less bearable. I would take the cold over extreme heat anyday.
Especially when one considers that the probability of any weather related disaster is small. Relatively few people have losses to tornadoes or flooding or winds in a given year. But the risk of extended exposure to excessive heat in the Phoenix area is 100%. It's going to happen and it is going to begin to happen in only a few weeks from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area