Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 10:29 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,751,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Id disagree. Walkability scores dont mean squat in my book. Old Town Scottsdale has more to do than downtown Phoenix, and its crammed into a much more compact area that is not only laid out far better, but eons safer than downtown. When the sun goes down, and the hours get late, Old Town rages on. Downtown PHX becomes lamer than Mainstreetville, KS after dark. You cant even get any groceries downtown. Hows that gonna work out for the guy? Granted downtown is getting better, but its sad that it cant even compete with a suburban downtown. I see no reason to go downtown other than the Auto Show and sporting events. Scottsdale has everything downtown does, but with better quality and quantity. And I dont have to deal with bums every 30 yards. The one advantage downtown PHX holds is simply the light rail. I would be ecstatic if Scottsdale got it, but we all know that wont happen.
Spoken like someone who hasn't been to DT Phoenix in a long time. I'll give you this much, if you're looking for pretentious clubs, Scottsdale wins, hands down. But I have little desire to hang out in places that look fit for the Kim Kardishian. I'd take Crescent Ball Room, Valley Bar, Lost Leaf and Copper Blues any day over Cake and Bottled Blonde.

Since you mentioned that Phoenix has nothing over Scottsdale other than light rail (which if you ask me is a big @ss thing) here's a deeper look at the differences. The numbers are pretty straightforward.

DT Phoenix: There are about 229 restaurants, bars and coffee shops in Downtown. DT Scottsdale: There are about 224 restaurants, bars and coffee shops in Downtown.

Big 4 sports:
DT Phoenix: 2
DT Scottsdale: 0

Large Performing Venues:
DT Phoenix: Suns Arena (whatever it's called now), D'Baks Stadium, Phoenix Convention Center, Comerica, Herberger, Orpheum, Phoenix Theater
DT Scottsdale: Desert Stages (small)

Cultural Attractions:
DT Phoenix: Phoenix Museum, Heard, Children's Museum, Science Center, Rosen House Museum, Arizona Capital Museum, Mining Museum, Phoenix Police Museum,

DT Scottsdale: SMOCA, Museum of the West, Gilbert Ortega Museum, and Fiesta Bowl Museum

Arts:
Phoenix: One of the largest monthly art walks in the country, Ballet Arizona, Phoenix Symphony, Arizona Theater Company, Center Dance Ensemble, Phoenix Center for the Arts, Over 70 local art galleries and growing amongst the RoRo and Grand Ave arts districts.

Scottsdale: A much more toned down arts scene that tends to specialize in upper class art, a 2 hour art walk does take place here as well once a month but on the nights I've gone you barely realize it's going on, I will give proper respect though that the Scottsdale museum district is considered highly regarded, but I don't think it's on the same level as Phoenix when it comes to the quirkiness and uniqueness of what happens there.

Up and Coming:
Downtown Phoenix is rising, it's starting to become more of the powerhouse core you'd expect as Amercia's 6th largest city, here's a glimpse at whats happening there:
  • The less than 2 square-mile area of downtown Phoenix has experienced $4.7 billion in development between 2004 and 2015.
  • There are almost 3,000 residential units in development or under construction and more than 1,000 more pending requests for proposals.
  • The area is about to get 1.1 million more square feet of hotels, retail and educational space and 600 more hotel rooms.
  • Sales taxes from hotels, stores, restaurants and bars have gone up 92 percent since 2008.
  • More than 12,500 college students have moved in, as Arizona State University, the University of Arizona’s medical school and Eller College of Management, Northern Arizona State University’s Allied Health Program, Summit Law School, Rio Salado Community College and Phoenix College have opened up in the neighborhood.
  • And, since, 2008, the area has netted 60 new restaurants.

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-pho...wntown-phoenix

Scottsdale:
There's been some growth in old town Scottsdale, but it's much more subdued than Phoenix and Tempe. There continues to be an anti-urban sentiment in Scottsdale that tends to keep density and any hope for non-bus public transit away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 4,864 times
If you want luxury in Tempe and a perfect location, lookup Hanover Mill Avenue. That location is amazing for walkability. There's another apartment complex that will probably be more expensive/higher class at tempe-salt.com. It's right on the lake which is good if you want to have nice views, but it's a bit out of the way from a lot of the stuff on Mill. Either apartment is close enough to the lake for taking walks or runs.

Scottsdale is pretty good, but I have limited experience there, having only lived in Phoenix and Tempe. My personal choice would be Phoenix because I don't mind driving to go out. Tempe would be better for walkability and it's where I currently live due to work and having family in the EV.

The things I like about Phoenix is that you can drive within 10 minutes to tons of amazing places. There isn't as much of an entertainment district like in Scottsdale or Tempe, but there are some great venues worth driving a few minutes to. The Duce is built in an old produce warehouse and you feel like you're in the 50's when you go there especially on swing dance night. Valley Bar is this hip underground bar with its entrance in an alley in downtown Phoenix. It has a big city, cozy feel. The Yard is a very nice patio bar with ping pong and cornhole and comfortable lounge seating. DeSoto is a restored building with chill vibe that is nice to frequent because it has a coffee shop, bar, and 5 good restaurants you can order food from. It's more of a daytime / sit down and relax or work on a laptop type place.

What I like about Tempe is that Mill Ave is super nice with lots of character. There are brick buildings, trees, nice sidewalks, a good mix of shops, bars, and restaurants. Tempe Town Lake at the north end of Mill and A Mountain are great places to enjoy the sunset and/or exercise. Just west of Mill (why I like the location of Hanover so much) there are some amazing places. There's another location of the Yard there, Casey Moore's to the south (a neighborhood bar with a great patio area, cheap beer and more mature crowd), and Cornish Pasty with a dark English pub vibe and excellent food. There's a new pizza place in Tempe called Shady Park with some of the best pizza around. There's even a grocery/convenience store called Tempe Marketplace near by. You'd probably like Tempe a lot, especially if your thing is walkability.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theffx View Post
If you want luxury in Tempe and a perfect location, lookup Hanover Mill Avenue. That location is amazing for walkability. There's another apartment complex that will probably be more expensive/higher class at tempe-salt.com. It's right on the lake which is good if you want to have nice views, but it's a bit out of the way from a lot of the stuff on Mill. Either apartment is close enough to the lake for taking walks or runs.

Scottsdale is pretty good, but I have limited experience there, having only lived in Phoenix and Tempe. My personal choice would be Phoenix because I don't mind driving to go out. Tempe would be better for walkability and it's where I currently live due to work and having family in the EV.

The things I like about Phoenix is that you can drive within 10 minutes to tons of amazing places. There isn't as much of an entertainment district like in Scottsdale or Tempe, but there are some great venues worth driving a few minutes to. The Duce is built in an old produce warehouse and you feel like you're in the 50's when you go there especially on swing dance night. Valley Bar is this hip underground bar with its entrance in an alley in downtown Phoenix. It has a big city, cozy feel. The Yard is a very nice patio bar with ping pong and cornhole and comfortable lounge seating. DeSoto is a restored building with chill vibe that is nice to frequent because it has a coffee shop, bar, and 5 good restaurants you can order food from. It's more of a daytime / sit down and relax or work on a laptop type place.

What I like about Tempe is that Mill Ave is super nice with lots of character. There are brick buildings, trees, nice sidewalks, a good mix of shops, bars, and restaurants. Tempe Town Lake at the north end of Mill and A Mountain are great places to enjoy the sunset and/or exercise. Just west of Mill (why I like the location of Hanover so much) there are some amazing places. There's another location of the Yard there, Casey Moore's to the south (a neighborhood bar with a great patio area, cheap beer and more mature crowd), and Cornish Pasty with a dark English pub vibe and excellent food. There's a new pizza place in Tempe called Shady Park with some of the best pizza around. There's even a grocery/convenience store called Tempe Marketplace near by. You'd probably like Tempe a lot, especially if your thing is walkability.
It's actually pretty cool to think about it, the valley really does have 3 pretty decent spots to have an urban lifestyle. The problem with that spread is that no single one of them is the obvious go-to choice for any person, but I agree with your Tempe and Phoenix assessments, I'd take both those over Scottsdale for the reasons you listed here.

Scottsdale is great but their lack of connectivity to the other areas is a major drawback and it's the furthest from the core part of downtown that draws in the biggest events and IMO some of the best restaurants in the valley.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Scottsdale is great but their lack of connectivity to the other areas is a major drawback and it's the furthest from the core part of downtown that draws in the biggest events and IMO some of the best restaurants in the valley.
Yes, downtown is a very special place in the valley. Whenever there's a big city event, downtown is where things are hosted due to the central location, convention centers, and space available for the city to section off like during Super Bowl. There's a great mix of excellent restaurants, too many to name, but to name a few: Welcome Diner, Angel's Trumpet, Mother Bunch Brewing, Matt's Big Breakfast, Pomo Pizzeria, Forno 301, Phoenix Public Market Cafe, Jobot, Cibo, The Vig, and there's more.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, downtown is a very special place in the valley. Whenever there's a big city event, downtown is where things are hosted due to the central location, convention centers, and space available for the city to section off like during Super Bowl. There's a great mix of excellent restaurants, too many to name, but to name a few: Welcome Diner, Angel's Trumpet, Mother Bunch Brewing, Matt's Big Breakfast, Pomo Pizzeria, Forno 301, Phoenix Public Market Cafe, Jobot, Cibo, The Vig, and there's more.
Have you tried Harumi? I have tried to get in 3 different times now and each time they've been 100% full and told me it was at least an hour wait, which of course just makes me more interested in getting in there. The Google reviews are stellar but nobody I know has managed to eat there yet.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Have you tried Harumi? I have tried to get in 3 different times now and each time they've been 100% full and told me it was at least an hour wait, which of course just makes me more interested in getting in there. The Google reviews are stellar but nobody I know has managed to eat there yet.
No, I've never tried it. Based on the wait to get in and reviews I'm sure it's legit. I made it to Little Miss BBQ for my first time after 3 tries on Wednesday. It was great, lived up to the hype. I figured out all I need to do is take a late lunch around 2pm and I can skip the line. Did it again yesterday. Try an off-time for Harumi and I'm sure you'll get in.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
No, I've never tried it. Based on the wait to get in and reviews I'm sure it's legit. I made it to Little Miss BBQ for my first time after 3 tries on Wednesday. It was great, lived up to the hype. I figured out all I need to do is take a late lunch around 2pm and I can skip the line. Did it again yesterday. Try an off-time for Harumi and I'm sure you'll get in.
Nice! I love LMB! I did try a late lunch there on a Saturday once, when I went to pull in the parking lot the attendant told me they were out of nearly all the meat, so we ended up going somewhere else.

I don't work downtown so it's hard to get to places down there at odd times on week days but I'll give it a shot on the weekend for sure. Good advice!

Old 01-22-2016, 11:46 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,327,594 times
It's a no brainer, Old Town Scottsdale. Downtown Phoenix is not even close to being as developed as Old Town Scottsdale in terms of both walkability and amenities. Downtown Phoenix is still about 10 years away.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:47 AM

133 posts, read 149,205 times
I didn't read everyone's responses, but in case nobody brought it up: Scottsdale is much Whiter than Downtown. This may be a plus or a minus for you. If you can handle White yuppies, Scottsdale wins. It's also "gayer" in the sense that the art gallery scene is pretty strong there. I would compare Scottsdale, in only a tangential way (although I think it's well founded), to Austin, TX: lots of fun, tons to do, neither a Conservative nor a Liberal stronghold.

Downtown has its perks, but downtown Phoenix is not like other American downtowns. It is still in a phase of becoming more livable, whereas Scottsdale went through that phase a decade ago.

YMMV.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:48 AM

133 posts, read 149,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's a no brainer, Old Town Scottsdale. Downtown Phoenix is not even close to being as developed as Old Town Scottsdale in terms of both walkability and amenities. Downtown Phoenix is still about 10 years away.
Haha I read this post a second after posting mine. It's funny that we both see 10 years' difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area