Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 02:04 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,297,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Almost anywhere that houses a large amount of newly independent College students w/o the sense of protecting themselves and their possessions is ripe for crime. It's huge in Tucson near UA for the same reason, vagrants know that these students have never had to really pay attention to their surroundings, leave their expensive cars unlocked, laptops on tables by windows, phones displayed inside cars etc. Tempe also has a very extensive public transit system w/ Phoenix making it easier for people to target people in Tempe.

Scottsdale was against this very thing during the Light Rail discussions.
I don't disagree with the fact that areas with major universities have a crime problem. In the Phoenix metro area, the areas with the highest crime rates still tend to be those on the south & west sides (specifically south Phoenix, Maryvale, Alhambra, parts of Glendale, and even the Metrocenter area). None of those areas have a large university in close proximity that is anywhere near the size of ASU Tempe. I work in downtown Tempe, and I've seen a high amount of beggars and the eccentric, but that doesn't necessarily put them in the criminal category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 03:27 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,982,015 times
I've been out of the Phoenix metro for awhile but I would pick Tempe around the University. You will be near Scottsdale and you can head into down town Phoenix with light rail or driving for events. I know everyone is proud that down town Phoenix is actually starting to turn around, and if you are a little more adventurous and are looking to commit to a community and stay a while it might be worth making your home down town. I stayed a few nights down there and to me there were still a lot of sketchers walking around down town Phoenix, way more so than Scottsdale or Tempe. Scottsdale is too precocious for me, people are more materialistic and plastic-ey. That being said it definitely has a better night life scene then Tempe or Phoenix, or at least it did when I was there. Tempe in the houses south west of ASU was a place I always thought would be cool to live even though there is a little bit of petty crime there. Tempe has Mill ave and though not a big a scene as Scottsdale it has some good restaurants and some stuff to do. I'd come out, pick an area, but just do a six month lease. Heck maybe even get a storage unit and only unpack the basics and live light till you know the area. The Phoenix metro is huge and has lots of little miro environments that are cool. They change over time and the best way to find the ones you like is to get a base going then start exploring.

As to the heat, it is hot, but no one goes out in the middle of the day usually unless you have to. When it gets dark the temperature drops down to a 100 or so, and in a dry heat that isn't bad. Most people get used to it. If you are a really pale person you may not.

I did the Phoenix thing for 10 years. I eventually got a telecommute gig and decided Northern AZ was better for me. But I'm married and all that, so my priorities are different. I enjoyed my time in the valley.

Good luck.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:03 PM

299 posts, read 441,440 times
Hi!

I'm 22 & re-located to AZ for graduate school and a new job about 1 year ago. I am living in Gilbert (a very nice, SAFE suburb). I wouldn't recommend Gilbert for nightlife at all though, LOL! It's a cute, high-end family-style suburb. There is a small, fun and surprisingly busy downtown strip with a few really good restaurants, though!

From what I've seen, I would DEFINITELY move to Old-Town Scottsdale over Downtown Phoenix. I was just in Old-Town today, actually and on a Sunday afternoon it was filled with people. Most restaurants and bars were packed. The nice park next to Old-Town (where the Museum of Contemporary Art is) was very packed too. Everyone was on their lawn chair and there was a band playing music. I think Scottsdale FEELS much safer than Tempe (at least I get that vibe). I also think Gilbert feels very safe. Scottsdale and Gilbert recently made the "safest cities in the US with over 200k population" list-- Downtown and Tempe, NOPE! Not to say they are unsafe... Oakland is WAY worse, but you definitely notice a BIG difference just walking around.

I work and go to school in Downtown Phoenix. Having moved from San Francisco, I think the Phoenix metro Downtown is SEVERELY lacking. It's only a few high-rise buildings.... It's not walkable, really... That being said, I think RoRo district is pretty cool. Good restaurants, awesome street art... a pretty big hipster scene. It doesn't feel DANGEROUS, but it definitely feels less safe than walking around Old-Town Scottsdale.
That being said, both Scottsdale & RoRo district are definitely worth a visit. There are some great coffee shops and museums in both places!!

If you do end up coming to AZ, I would also check out Downtown Gilbert if you have a weekend. Also, check out Agrocopia farm and The Coffee Shop, in Gilbert yum!!

PS. The heat in the summer is AWFUL. and I mean AWWWWFUL. You don't get used to it-- i'm sorry!!! It doesn't matter that it's a dry heat. I step outside and feel like I'm a fried egg D': . There are ways to escape the heat (driving to Nothern AZ, which is a beautiful place BTW). But the heat is a BIG reason why I'm leaving after grad. school... that and I want to live near an ocean again!

Last edited by Quizillla; 01-24-2016 at 08:12 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 10:43 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,750,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
Hi!

I work and go to school in Downtown Phoenix. Having moved from San Francisco, I think the Phoenix metro Downtown is SEVERELY lacking. It's only a few high-rise buildings.... It's not walkable, really... That being said, I think RoRo district is pretty cool. Good restaurants, awesome street art... a pretty big hipster scene. It doesn't feel DANGEROUS, but it definitely feels less safe than walking around Old-Town Scottsdale.
That being said, both Scottsdale & RoRo district are definitely worth a visit. There are some great coffee shops and museums in both places!!

If you do end up coming to AZ, I would also check out Downtown Gilbert if you have a weekend. Also, check out Agrocopia farm and The Coffee Shop, in Gilbert yum!!

PS. The heat in the summer is AWFUL. and I mean AWWWWFUL. You don't get used to it-- i'm sorry!!! It doesn't matter that it's a dry heat. I step outside and feel like I'm a fried egg D': . There are ways to escape the heat (driving to Nothern AZ, which is a beautiful place BTW). But the heat is a BIG reason why I'm leaving after grad. school... that and I want to live near an ocean again!
You forgot to mention that downtown Phoenix is very actively evolving and will double in population size in the next 2-3 years as all of the housing units currently under construction get built. Sure, Phoenix lacks compared to SF and you need tougher skin to live here than SF, but most of us manage to deal with the heat just fine. I still believe anyone moving here from somewhere other than coastal CA will find our weather pretty tolerable. Compared to New England this cit is glorious for weather.

I'm surprised to hear someone from SF likes old town Scottsdale better than DT Phoenix. I was in Old Town for the game yesterday, super busy bar and restaurant scene for sure! But little else of interest to me. I don't mind visiting but not interested in living there.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:36 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,510,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
You forgot to mention that downtown Phoenix is very actively evolving and will double in population size in the next 2-3 years as all of the housing units currently under construction get built. Sure, Phoenix lacks compared to SF and you need tougher skin to live here than SF, but most of us manage to deal with the heat just fine. I still believe anyone moving here from somewhere other than coastal CA will find our weather pretty tolerable. Compared to New England this cit is glorious for weather.

I'm surprised to hear someone from SF likes old town Scottsdale better than DT Phoenix. I was in Old Town for the game yesterday, super busy bar and restaurant scene for sure! But little else of interest to me. I don't mind visiting but not interested in living there.
I think anyone from San Francisco wouldn't find downtown Phoenix too appealing, San Francisco's downtown is an international destination but Phoenix isn't so much.

Many San Franciscans might even think downtown Los Angeles is unappealing in comparison.

You're right about downtown Phoenix coming to life though, it's evolving and much more active than it used to be.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:39 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,979,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I think anyone from San Francisco wouldn't find downtown Phoenix too appealing, San Francisco's downtown is an international destination but Phoenix isn't so much.

Many San Franciscans might even think downtown Los Angeles is unappealing in comparison.

You're right about downtown Phoenix coming to life though, it's evolving and much more active than it used to be.
Precisely. As much as I love DT Phx getting attention it's barely competitive in this metro much less internationally like SF is. I mean lets get real here. Our urban duo are Tempe and Scottsdale it's been that way for decades. Sure Phoenix has potential and thank goodness! But right now and for the next few years, its third in the area.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:58 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,750,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

I didn't say it would be appealing compared to SF, I'm just surprised to hear someone from SF has an opinion that Old Town is much better than DT Phoenix. I just don't see it personally and assumed someone who appreciated the city life that is SF, and lets be real here, SF has some areas that will scare the **** out of most people, would appreciate RoRo more than Old Town. But I understand it's still light years away from being what most hope it will become.

I don't think Phoenix has any intention of being like SF, I'd be happy if we had a Denver or Portland size/feel when all is said and done. Pretty happy with what's occurring down there right now and looking forward to when that gap between Van Buren/Portland and Central/7th Street is filled up in a few more years. That should be a nice, dense, very walk-able section of the city that will be contiguous with what's the stuff that's already existing around cityscape.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:40 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,914,855 times
Can we please put an end to Ro-Ro right here, right now? It's Roosevelt row.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:40 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,982,015 times
A few things about down town.

- People have been saying down town is about to explode into paradise since I moved to AZ (90ies)
- It is getting better
- Some parts are cool
- It does not compare to other scenes around the valley though it might in the future

Just for context

Old 01-26-2016, 10:48 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,625,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
Can we please put an end to Ro-Ro right here, right now? It's Roosevelt row.
What's Sky Harbor -- SKAR?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area