Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 11:35 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,604,735 times

Advertisements

Voted by mail 2 weeks ago - although now I hear the mail in ballots don't get counted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 12:47 AM

660 posts, read 659,136 times
Is it true in Phoenix that people are being turned away now even if they arrived before the poll closed? People are apparently still waiting in lines according to Twitter and #arizonaelectionfraud was trending on Twitter. Arizona residents are also planning a protest tomorrow.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:51 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheBern View Post
Is it true in Phoenix that people are being turned away now even if they arrived before the poll closed? People are apparently still waiting in lines according to Twitter and #arizonaelectionfraud was trending on Twitter. Arizona residents are also planning a protest tomorrow.
People are still in line yes.

This was a failure on Maricopa County's part, Pima County (Tucson) has 1 voting location for every 9K or so residents, we have 1 for every 30k.

There are reports of people being turned away, but it isn't clear if its because they are Independent or not.

Some booths also ran out of Democratic ballots.

People should just get mail in ballots, it took me a few minutes to vote, and I could track it online.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:57 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,729,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Voted by mail 2 weeks ago - although now I hear the mail in ballots don't get counted?
Come on. You can't just dump that here and not provide some back story or links (even if it's crap, first votes reported were the mail ins).

Old 03-23-2016, 01:05 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,993,050 times
No, I did not get to vote but for a different reason.

The Libertarian Party does not believe tax payers should fund partisan presidential primaries. As such, state delegates meet at the Libertarian National Convention to elect the nominee for president and vice president.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:45 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Just saw an interview on the news with her. She appeared not to give a rat's pahtootie about the problems with long lines, and frankly a little put off she was even questioned about it.
In the interview I watched she said the main reason for the problem was that voters got in line!

Old 03-23-2016, 07:21 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
People should just get mail in ballots, it took me a few minutes to vote, and I could track it online.
How do you track it online? Just curious...I go drop it off at a polling place on Election Day but didn't know you could track them.

My advice for someone facing a very long line if we ever have another "vote where you want" kind of Primary... if you have a car, and have time before the polls close, it might be worth it to get in your car and drive around looking at other polling places. They're not all going to have hours-long lines and there's probably several within a few miles of you if you live in the Phoenix metro area.

I can only speak to my experience yesterday. I decide to drive out to the one on 124th Street because I figured, low population density, so less likely to have a huge crowd of people because there's not that many people for whom this would be the closest location. Whereas a location downtown or in more densely-developed parts of the Valley, could have a huge amount of people for whom that is the closest location. The location I went to only had ~30 people in line at 3pm. (This time I was only dropping off my ballot, not voting in person, but I used to vote in person and in 2012 election had a pretty decent line (maybe 75 people) at my local polling place, but still took less than an hour for the whole process. Multiple hour waits is unacceptable, but I think most people are probably okay with 30-45 minutes or maybe an hour, before they start to get exasperated.)

I do think it's too bad that America doesn't declare federal holidays for elections like many countries -- at least for the actual Presidential elections -- but I understand that ballot access is a political issue and that therefore there would be a lot of opposition from some politicians to any law that made it easier for people to vote. I guess I've always been pro-ballot access because just because my party might be able to restrict voting to its advantage NOW ... I wouldn't want to be on the other end of that squeeze some years in the future. On some issues I think fairness is more important than "winning an advantage" and for me, ballot access is one of those issues.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:47 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,746,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
That's a load of nonsense. Some people will believe just about anything. Really irresponsible to post that here.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:51 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,079,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Whomever decided to cut the polling places from 200 down to 60 should be fired. Why on earth did they think the voters would not come out for this important election? It's 6:45 pm now and I still see lines around the block. What an injustice to those who worked all day and then had to stand in line for 2 or more hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post

This was a failure on Maricopa County's part, Pima County (Tucson) has 1 voting location for every 9K or so residents, we have 1 for every 30k.

There are reports of people being turned away, but it isn't clear if its because they are Independent or not.

Some booths also ran out of Democratic ballots.

Its the same reason our districts are so blatantly gerrymandered.

Its the same reason you need those two special forms of identification....

Its all another way to manipulate the system to keep the poor democrats from getting there votes in and counted. I will save how Bush lost the election for another thread.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:51 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
This morning they said the last voter cast their vote at 12:30 AM, standing in line about 6 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area