Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 12:35 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,978,847 times

Advertisements

If anybody is interested a petition is gaining rapid reaction to investigate what happened here last night in the Democratic Party rolls.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...mocratic-party

As of now it has 56k signatures in less than 24hrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 12:57 PM

6,407 posts, read 9,008,601 times
Three big problems:

1) SoS not recognizing turnout trends driven by Trump & Sanders.

2) Ignorance of Arizona voters. I've been here less than 6 years and I know more about the process here that your average Arizonan. That is sad. Registering is easy. Independents can re-register in the party of their choice to vote in a closed Democratic, Green or Republican presidential primary with ease as well as placing themselves on the early voting list to vote by mail.

Arizona Voter Registration - ServiceArizona - ADOT & MVD Services

3) I recognize that political parties have a right to have some discretion in who votes in their primaries. Given that the primaries are funded by tax payers, however, the primaries in Arizona should be opened to include registered independents/party no declared. Democrats and Republicans can't have it both ways. Added insult to injury is that non-partisan registered voters can sign nominating petitions of the Big Two to gain ballot access for candidates but not vote in a primary funded by their own hard work in either primary.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:10 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,962,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Well said but Democratic leaders in this state have actually asked to overturn that whereas I have not heard any Republicans asked for that to be changed.
Negative, they fought to keep it closed. The democratic establishment nationwide is as scared of Sanders beating Clinton as Republicans are of Trump.

The democrat establishment wants Hillary.

Now who would those independents vote for if they could vote? Not Hillary....

Old 03-23-2016, 01:39 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,755,371 times
Quote:
In this state, there is almost no point registering as a Democrat. I know that's not politically correct to say that but it's the truth.
Depends on where you live. We're in a heavily Democratic district where there have been hotly contested primary races in recent years.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:29 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,981,618 times
My voting poll place off Shea (near the 51) was sooooooooooo backed up that people couldnt even find a place to park. Absolutely ridiculous! I didnt even bother.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:18 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,326,019 times
Interestingly, there is an on-line petition to force Helen Purcell's resignation

MoveOn Petitions - Helen Purcell should resign.

She should resign.

To be honest, this isn't the first time this has happened under her watch. i remember the 2004 Presidential election and it was the same problem then as well. There were not enough sites and waits were ridiculously long

Old 03-23-2016, 05:28 PM

656 posts, read 815,765 times
I always vote by mail. I wonder why everyone does not vote by mail, too.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:32 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,485,805 times
How many of these voters who waited in line I wonder were not registered R/D and didn't understand.know the rules that they couldn't vote in the primary in the first place?

Anyone know the % of people who vote via mail vs in person in the Phoenix metro? State?

Why in this day in age with the convenience of voting via mail available in our state do so many still choose to vote in person? This is not to invite argument but just simply a question that I'm very curious about why people choose to vote in person instead.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:47 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,684,867 times
Quote:
Interestingly, there is an on-line petition to force Helen Purcell's resignation

MoveOn Petitions - Helen Purcell should resign.

She should resign.

To be honest, this isn't the first time this has happened under her watch. i remember the 2004 Presidential election and it was the same problem then as well. There were not enough sites and waits were ridiculously long
That is a MoveOn petition signed mostly by people from other states. These petitions can't force anyone to do anything.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:54 PM

18 posts, read 15,465 times
yes i did voted i have waited nearly 4 hrs i really do beleive that helen purcell should be fired
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area