Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 06:05 PM

483 posts, read 666,065 times

Advertisements

I guess it depends on where you live. Here in Pinal County, there was NO line. None. Zip.

We walked in, showed our IDs, grabbed a ballot and walked out three minutes later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 10:21 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
Why didn't people just vote by mail?

Old 03-23-2016, 10:45 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
The lines where long and nowhere to park because the lots full, those who waited for a parking spot to open up couldn’t get into the line by 7PM and thus couldn’t vote. I was happy to vote by mail early.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:12 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,079,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
I guess it depends on where you live. Here in Pinal County, there was NO line. None. Zip.

We walked in, showed our IDs, grabbed a ballot and walked out three minutes later.
didn't realize the op should have specified Maricopa county.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:00 AM

975 posts, read 1,405,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Rubio got about 14% of the vote. He beat Kasich.
That's due to the mail-in votes.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:35 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
There are lots of reasons for that. Always will be. Some people still prefer to go to the polls on the day. And that is their right.

But for county officials to assume that the very high mail in vote for this election must mean that there would be fewer people showing up on election day (and not that there was high interest in this election and so MORE would show up to vote) was either just incredibly stupid or, if you look at the map of where the polling places were and were not, something else entirely. (or, for that matter, a good bit of both).

Old 03-24-2016, 07:24 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,367 times
People have a right to vote in person. That's how it's been done for centuries and I don't think it's fair to blame that a poorly-run system being overwhelmed on voters showing up to vote. That said, clearly it IS wise to get your ballot by mail because incompetence or malfeasance seem to be somewhat likely in any given election.

Given this is a primary, there's no real reason for them to intentionally A) not have enough polling places and B) have a MUCH higher ratio of residents to polling places in suburban areas, than in urban areas. But they did. I read that downtown it was over 100K residents per polling place, whereas in outlying areas of the county it was just a few thousand people per polling place nearby. If it was a general election and this happened, I would assume it was on purpose and was the establishment trying to affect how many people are able to vote. That sort of thing happens across the country. In this case, it seems to be just incompetence, because in a primary there doesn't seem to be any clear benefit to the county making it very difficult for people to vote.

I never fill out my ballot until the day-of, because I figure, what if someone drops out of the race...has a last-minute negative revelation about them...or something else happens last minute that changes how I want to vote on something. I do get my ballot in the mail, but I drop it off at the polling place because I do not want to vote until the last day or two in case of these things happening. Fortunately you do not have to wait in line to drop off your ballot and I checked online using the line JG provided earlier and my ballot has indeed been counted as of this time.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:56 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,875,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
People have a right to vote in person. That's how it's been done for centuries and I don't think it's fair to blame that a poorly-run system being overwhelmed on voters showing up to vote. That said, clearly it IS wise to get your ballot by mail because incompetence or malfeasance seem to be somewhat likely in any given election.

Given this is a primary, there's no real reason for them to intentionally A) not have enough polling places and B) have a MUCH higher ratio of residents to polling places in suburban areas, than in urban areas. But they did. I read that downtown it was over 100K residents per polling place, whereas in outlying areas of the county it was just a few thousand people per polling place nearby. If it was a general election and this happened, I would assume it was on purpose and was the establishment trying to affect how many people are able to vote. That sort of thing happens across the country. In this case, it seems to be just incompetence, because in a primary there doesn't seem to be any clear benefit to the county making it very difficult for people to vote.

I never fill out my ballot until the day-of, because I figure, what if someone drops out of the race...has a last-minute negative revelation about them...or something else happens last minute that changes how I want to vote on something. I do get my ballot in the mail, but I drop it off at the polling place because I do not want to vote until the last day or two in case of these things happening. Fortunately you do not have to wait in line to drop off your ballot and I checked online using the line JG provided earlier and my ballot has indeed been counted as of this time.
That's why I also waited until Tuesday because I didn't want to cast votes for a candidate that's no longer running.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:53 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,342,946 times
If they want everybody to vote by mail, they should just have a state wide referendum asking people if they want to make vote-by-mail the only option to vote, like they did in Oregon back in the late 90's.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:40 AM

639 posts, read 972,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
For some reason, my ballot never showed up in the mail this time. It has every other election. That's another issue that's being reported right now. Not surprised, but irritating either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area