Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 12:33 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,090,958 times

Advertisements

We moved out here from Southern California last year and see a lot more smoking here. It seems to be a good deal more "acceptable", but the people we see smoking do tend to be people one would "expect" to smoke, as bad as that sounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 12:58 PM

394 posts, read 343,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
We moved out here from Southern California last year and see a lot more smoking here. It seems to be a good deal more "acceptable", but the people we see smoking do tend to be people one would "expect" to smoke, as bad as that sounds.
Funny you should say that... When people find out I smoke they always say "you don't seem like the type that would smoke"... Im always baffled by that - I didn't know there was a "type"... They'd probably be surprised that I have a bunch of tattoos too - because they can see them...

Stereotyping isn't always accurate...

Old 04-18-2016, 02:47 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,284,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post

"Smoking is so gross! Dont make me breathe in that second hand smoke" - person standing in the brown cloud of Phoenix.
Yes, because the two are the exact same thing

Old 04-18-2016, 03:17 PM

1,166 posts, read 756,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Ive always been confrontational towards it. It stinks, and with all the health concerns we are now aware of, you must have zero respect for yourself to smoke these days, (which translates to no respect for anyone else either). What a BS statement... that second hand smoke is worse than the air around you...

Clearly you're trying to justify smoking to yourself. The rest of us know better.

If you get too confrontational toward a neighbor smoking outside on their own property, you might just get a firsthand and very painful education on the state's Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws. I have never smoked in my life, but there is no way that I would ever let a neighbor come get in my face about anything. What happened to people just minding their own business?

Old 04-18-2016, 03:25 PM

1,166 posts, read 756,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
Funny you should say that... When people find out I smoke they always say "you don't seem like the type that would smoke"... Im always baffled by that - I didn't know there was a "type"... They'd probably be surprised that I have a bunch of tattoos too - because they can see them...

Stereotyping isn't always accurate...

Two professions with large percentages of smokers are doctors and lawyers. Neither group fits the anti-smoking militant's stereotype of smokers as trailer park residents and hoodrats.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Two professions with large percentages of smokers are doctors and lawyers. Neither group fits the anti-smoking militant's stereotype of smokers as trailer park residents and hoodrats.
I'm sure you have a link of some sort? I highly doubt doctors have a high percentage of smokers.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:26 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,972,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Yes, because the two are the exact same thing
Id venture to say pollution is worse than cigarette smoke.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,656,451 times
Quote:
You must be smoking something.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Right, lets say everything being equal with two people living in the same location in Phoenix, who is more at risk of lung cancer, the smoker or non smoker?

Old 04-18-2016, 06:17 PM

394 posts, read 343,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Right, lets say everything being equal with two people living in the same location in Phoenix, who is more at risk of lung cancer, the smoker or non smoker?
initially I was hoping the thread wouldn't go sideways from topic - but since I've got the info I was looking for, I guess off topic doesn't matter...

You realize there have been many documented cases of lung cancer from people that have never smoked or been around smoke, right?...

I'm not justifying smoking (I'm pretty sure I made it clear in all my previous posts)... but to think that smog or car exhaust or other pollutants aren't a factor in lung cancer - is simply naive.

So BIG CATS (tongue in cheek) post here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/43753781-post30.html
and here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/43758373-post37.html are not far fetched (to anyone other than those with an agenda)...

On a side note - if folks in this thread are an indication of the general social climate, AZ is much more like CA than I ever thought. I hope it ends with smoking, because I'm moving to get away from some of the mentality I see in this thread.

Again, I'm not condoning smoking or making excuses for it - and was the first to say what a filthy habit it is... however, I didn't expect the liberal type fodder to come from the initial question (which had noting to do with what the thread became btw).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area