Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 10:51 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,310,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I want to say it was in the 80s.
Is it too much to ask people to be free thinkers, and not just take a stance based on what their political party tells them? Is it OK that I am pro choice but also pro death penalty? Pro gay rights but also anti-illegal immigration and for extra border security? Pro gun rights but anti religion?

For the record I am not for making cigarettes ILLEGAL, nor weed. I think both can be safely smoked inside one's own residence unless it is around children. I just don't want to smell it around me (weed is better than cigarettes to me as I always have an allergic reaction to cigarettes, not weed). It's strange to me that a few in this thread think it's a political stance to not want to smell that garbage and have it affect my health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 11:01 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,708,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Is it too much to ask people to be free thinkers, and not just take a stance based on what their political party tells them? Is it OK that I am pro choice but also pro death penalty? Pro gay rights but also anti-illegal immigration and for extra border security? Pro gun rights but anti religion?

For the record I am not for making cigarettes ILLEGAL, nor weed. I think both can be safely smoked inside one's own residence unless it is around children. I just don't want to smell it around me (weed is better than cigarettes to me as I always have an allergic reaction to cigarettes, not weed). It's strange to me that a few in this thread think it's a political stance to not want to smell that garbage and have it affect my health.
Damn, I couldn't agree with you more on everything you just wrote.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:12 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,089,779 times
WHOA WHOA WHOA. Let me just stop you riiiiighhtt

Quote:
Is it too much to ask people to be free thinkers, .

Old 04-19-2016, 11:16 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,089,779 times
Quote:

You don't mind people dying, and there are several other comments I could make. I don't disagree with what you said, just how you said it. You can't really open up that much potential drama into this thread, with that one post. That wasn't cool.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:05 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,191,606 times
See what you did AZ_Rookie!!! GEESH

Old 04-19-2016, 03:23 PM

394 posts, read 344,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
See what you did AZ_Rookie!!! GEESH
No kidding. It turned into a chitstorm!

Old 04-19-2016, 03:52 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,310,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
No kidding. It turned into a chitstorm!
I wonder if it had anything to do with you saying that AZ is more like CA than you thought once you got some push back on smoking (I don't have a problem with this I was raised in So Cal). However the clear insinuation you made is that if one doesn't want smokers around them, they must be liberal. I do not see the link between politics and not wanting to smell someone's cigarette smoke.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:53 PM

474 posts, read 320,043 times
I spend time in Cottonwood AZ every year. It seems no different in regards to smoking than here in CT. No smoking in public buildings, stores, restaurants etc. Some places have signs that say no smoking within so many feet of a building. I've noticed some bars and restaurants with patio's allow smoking while others don't. (sorry, no idea what the law is in regards to this) You'll be fine.

I travel often and honestly, most cities seem to have similar laws in regards to smoking. The one exception I can recall is Nashville but it was about 5 years ago. Smoking was allowed in the Nascar Bar at the airport. Thought that was strange. (didn't care, just though it was strange)

Old 04-19-2016, 07:03 PM

394 posts, read 344,754 times
Quote:
I wonder if it had anything to do with you saying that AZ is more like CA than you thought once you got some push back on smoking (I don't have a problem with this I was raised in So Cal). However the clear insinuation you made is that if one doesn't want smokers around them, they must be liberal. I do not see the link between politics and not wanting to smell someone's cigarette smoke.
So much of this thread went sideways - and had nothing to do with smoking...

"pushback on smoking"?... I asked a question, determined the answer(s) and that was it.

My observation of similarities to CA and liberal mindsets had nothing to do with "smoking" and everything to do with several attitudes/demeanor... That doesn't start oer end with smoking - as has been noted throughout this thread.

If you dont see how this thread went to politics - I'm not sure what you are reading... And if I'm responsible for directing that, then my written words are much more powerful than I could imagine (hint, it had nothing to do with me).

But carry on - people obviously have a lot they'd like to say... So for that, I guess there's some residual value to the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area