Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:45 AM

597 posts, read 669,168 times

Advertisements

IT always amazes me that so many people react so strongly when a new place opens. I get wanting to try something new, but waiting 2.5 hours to do so? People act like it's a pop-up restaurant is going to be done in a week, when obviously it will be around for a while.

We recently got a Chik-fil-a in my central Illinois city and you'd think that no one had ever heard of it and that it was truly the food of the Gods based on the crazy lines that still exist two months after it opened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 09:55 AM

16,404 posts, read 30,332,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
IT always amazes me that so many people react so strongly when a new place opens. I get wanting to try something new, but waiting 2.5 hours to do so? People act like it's a pop-up restaurant is going to be done in a week, when obviously it will be around for a while.

We recently got a Chik-fil-a in my central Illinois city and you'd think that no one had ever heard of it and that it was truly the food of the Gods based on the crazy lines that still exist two months after it opened.

I agree with you. However, in the case of Chik-fil-a, they hand out THOUSANDS of free chicken filet sandwich coupons to guarantee that they have a line going in. Krispy Kreme does the same thing.

I remember that when Chik-fil-a opened in Chicagoland, our plant received 500 free sandwich coupons.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:41 AM

975 posts, read 1,407,232 times
I tried to go on Friday but the wait was ridiculous. I'll wait until July or August once the newness has worn off.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:48 PM

7,833 posts, read 4,580,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post

Amen. I was shopping the other day and happened upon the new Shack Shack. I was hungry anyway so I stopped in. There was one person ahead of me in line and maybe a half-dozen people in the dining area. When it opened I remember seeing on the news folks lined up like the place was giving away Buicks. Those Chick-fil-A openings are the worst as well.

BTW - Good burger & shake albeit way overpriced. There's literally a dozen other places I can think of that do as good, if not better, a job. Whatever.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,053,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Amen. I was shopping the other day and happened upon the new Shack Shack. I was hungry anyway so I stopped in. There was one person ahead of me in line and maybe a half-dozen people in the dining area. When it opened I remember seeing on the news folks lined up like the place was giving away Buicks. Those Chick-fil-A openings are the worst as well.

BTW - Good burger & shake albeit way overpriced. There's literally a dozen other places I can think of that do as good, if not better, a job. Whatever.
Same with pizza. To me Chicago pizza is all hype and unless one is needing to reminice about home there's no reason to stand in a line. If a pizza actually takes 40 minutes to cook then it's wayyyy to thick, more like a pizza casserole.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:30 PM

7,833 posts, read 4,580,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Same with pizza. To me Chicago pizza is all hype and unless one is needing to reminice about home there's no reason to stand in a line. If a pizza actually takes 40 minutes to cook then it's wayyyy to thick, more like a pizza casserole.
BUT IT'S LOU'S !!!!!

(However, truth be told they do make a heck of a pie)

Old 05-30-2016, 08:50 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,976,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
When it's done right a Chicago style pizza can be very good. I'd like to have a good Chicago pizza place around for when I have that hankering to eat something that makes me hate myself.

I went to Lukes Chicago Sandwiches on 16th St the other day. That was enough of people reminiscing about Chicago for me for awhile. Sandwich was decent however.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:44 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,290,684 times
I'm sure Oregano's stuffed pizza that takes an hour to make is every bit as good as this place, just doesn't have the name. in fact, as I've said in the past I have a friend from Chicago that swears by Oregano's.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:34 AM

445 posts, read 516,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I'm sure Oregano's stuffed pizza that takes an hour to make is every bit as good as this place, just doesn't have the name. in fact, as I've said in the past I have a friend from Chicago that swears by Oregano's.
It's actually two different types of pizza. Oregano's does the stuffed pizza while Lou's does deep dish, which to borrow a term from Chicago style pizza haters, isn't as casserole-ish as stuffed. Lou's is probably my favorite deep dish place from back east, in large part due to their crust. And for what it's worth, Oregano's stuffed pizza is okay, but not great IMHO. The crust is a big reason for that...just not a fan. I can't wait until Giordano's opens out here, which was one of my top three stuffed pizza places from Chicago.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:34 AM

482 posts, read 534,185 times
Has anyone eaten at BOTH a Lou Malnati's in Chicago, and one out here? I've eaten at several in and around Chicago, but none here. I know they say they're the same. But sometimes that is not the case. Ingredients get substituted, preparation methods are changed, etc. And there is no food in the world I would stand in line for an hour and a half to eat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area