Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 09:25 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What is funny is Lou's is an above average place in Chicago but when it is brought to Phoenix, it's a huge deal. The same applies to Portillos. Portillos is nothing a but a burger and hot dog joint. There is nothing remotely special about it but because it's from Chicago, it is romanticized here as if it's better simply because it's from the big city of Chicago.
I agree with you about Lou's but vehemently disagree about Portillo's. You're ordering the wrong thing. THE item that makes Portillo's outstanding is the Italian Beef Sandwich with hot gardinieria. And I'm totally jealous that you've got two of them, while I'm in Raleigh with none!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 11:53 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,327 times
As I probably mentioned above, I have no interest in deep dish pizza and not a whole lot of love for Chicago, having had its wonderfulness shoved down my throat during the 36+ years that I have lived here.

Still, I do love pizza and was a bit curious when I heard that they also served a thin crust pizza. When I found out that they deliver, I could not resist. I live a little more than two miles from the place, don't know how far their delivery area extends. Using their website, I ordered a thin crust pizza with pepperoni. There were options for extra tomato sauce and extra cheese but no options for less of either. You can order it gooey, regular, crispy and "half baked". You could also specify cut or uncut, they recommended uncut but the radio button for cut was preset. I specified regular and cut. I was ordering around 5:35, they said the delivery would come 6:30-6:45.

The pie arrived at 6:38 as promised. It was a little less warm than I would have liked it but not bad for a 2+ mile delivery. The cheese was on the top. The pizza was cut in squares. I was impressed with the crust, the edge pieces in particular. There was more cheese than I would have wanted and maybe a little more sauce. The sauce was pretty good, I'd give it a B. The crust, particularly on the middle pieces, was a little softer than optimal. I might try crispy the next time, if there is a next time.

Overall it was not a bad experience. Might just order again, but then again there are tons of pizza options in this part of town, some that I haven't tried yet like Federal Pizza. I definitely wouldn't go to Lou Malnati's nor would I partake of their signature deep dish offerings, but for delivery it wasn't half bad.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:22 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,081,120 times
Good review, pbenjamin. You really should try Federal Pizza. They do a mighty fine thin crust pizza (one of the best in town in my mind) and I really like the atmosphere there.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:00 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,968,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
As I probably mentioned above, I have no interest in deep dish pizza and not a whole lot of love for Chicago, having had its wonderfulness shoved down my throat during the 36+ years that I have lived here.

Like we dont brag about AZ whereever we go? Lord knows I do, and Im sure people back home in Chicago are tired of me talking about AZ. Chicago has its problems, but its a super awesome city. People have every right to talk about it, as do we boasting about the Grand Canyon or whatever. You just have to remember youre on the receiving end, not the giving end. If there was a mass exodus out of AZ to, say, WA, you dont think people in Seattle would tire hearing about Phoenix?

Back on topic, Lou Malnati's makes a fine pizza. Its shipped all over the country, and for good reason.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:46 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
I went last weekend, but it wasn't as good as I recall when I lived in Schaumburg. The Malnati's salad definitely didn't taste right. The deep dish was okay, but not enough sauce and sorta cold too. I guess it takes a while for them to learn how to get it right.

BTW: You could hardly hear yourself talk in that place. Very very loud.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:01 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,568,735 times
Just announced, Lou Malnati's will be opening another store, this one on Scottsdale Road and Chauncey Lane in Scottsdale on (the perhaps not well thought out date) Sept. 11.

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...t-in-september

Old 08-21-2018, 07:32 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,921,631 times
thats great news, and alot closer for me than the one on Camelback..thanks

Old 08-21-2018, 10:12 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,075 times
Wow...

Finally.

A pizza thread returns from the undead.

I'd started believing that everybody stopped caring about pizza!

Except for the ghoul who just exhumed this zombie thread.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:33 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,921,631 times
well, if any thread deserves to be revived from the dead, it might as well be one about pizza!

Old 08-22-2018, 05:47 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
well, if any thread deserves to be revived from the dead, it might as well be one about pizza!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area